Jogging help

Options
foxyforce
foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
I have been jogging a lot recently. My calves really hurt in the morning. Is my form bad? Or are there stretches that can help me after? If so what kind of stretches should I be doing?

Is this normal?

thanks for any feedback:heart:

Replies

• lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Stand against a wall, put one foot against the wall so that your toe is on the wall and your heel is still on the ground, and then lean forward. This is a great calf stretch. I always think it feels SO good too! As long as it's just your calves hurting then you should be fine to keep running, although a day or two off would give those muscles some extra time to heal. I had horrible shin splints from running several years ago and the only thing that remedied those was a week off of running.

Keep up the great work!!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I have been jogging a lot recently. My calves really hurt in the morning. Is my form bad? Or are there stretches that can help me after? If so what kind of stretches should I be doing?

Is this normal?

thanks for any feedback:heart:

Are you stretching after your runs?
  • foxyforce
    Options
    Stand against a wall, put one foot against the wall so that your toe is on the wall and your heel is still on the ground, and then lean forward. This is a great calf stretch. I always think it feels SO good too! As long as it's just your calves hurting then you should be fine to keep running, although a day or two off would give those muscles some extra time to heal. I had horrible shin splints from running several years ago and the only thing that remedied those was a week off of running.

Keep up the great work!!

thank you so much, that feels good. if i do that after a jog should it prevent the soreness?
  • Redbug
    Redbug Posts: 41
    Options
    runnersworld.com always has good information and stretches for runners. Check them out.
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    How long have you been running? Because calf muscles are one of the weakest links when you start running, but quickly develop. It likely means they are simply getting stronger. That happened with mine when I started running, but they are bullet proof now.

Lot's of good stretching advice here, that's the trick. If it's in the front, it could be shin splints, which is an entirely different situation.

Great job on running, it's a great hobby, that is unless it's running from the law....:laugh: :laugh:

Raymond
  • foxyforce
    Options
    How long have you been running? Because calf muscles are one of the weakest links when you start running, but quickly develop. It likely means they are simply getting stronger. That happened with mine when I started running, but they are bullet proof now.

Lot's of good stretching advice here, that's the trick. If it's in the front, it could be shin splints, which is an entirely different situation.

Great job on running, it's a great hobby, that is unless it's running from the law....:laugh: :laugh:

Raymond

no, it's totally in the back of my lower leg, i stretched it out a lot this morning and do a low impact aerobic workout

i can't believe i am getting stronger. i am really new to running. i am so excited. and i want to do it all the time...like right now. but i feel like i'll burn myself out too fast.:bigsmile:
  • foxyforce
    Options
    runnersworld.com always has good information and stretches for runners. Check them out.

thank you!!!!:happy: