Looking into buying a treadmill/elliptical

Options
k900
k900 Posts: 140 Member
When i get my tax refund i am going to buy either a elliptical or treadmill but i do not want to spend over $600. I am not sure which i would like better either.

Any suggestions on which to get/good brands ?

Replies

• beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I bought an elliptical, a treadmill and a stationary bike at Sears, all under $400 each piece, I use em all and love em! Proform is the brand.......
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you're only going to $600 I would def go with the treadmill. To me the cheap ellipticals are horrible. I got my treadmill from Sears for $575 it's a ProForm X or something that sounds like that. Best investment we ever made! If I'm not on it, Hubby is!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    At that price I would look into a good used machine.

Here are a couple links to get you started
    http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/Treadmill-Buyers-guide
    http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/2010-Used-Buyers-Guide-Treadmills-and-Ellipticals
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    My understanding is if you want to run on the treadmill, you better spend some money, like $2K. $600 is going to get you crap quality.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
  • MarilynGrube
    MarilynGrube Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I bought a ProForm 8 years ago and I still use it today..never had a problem with it. I used to have a Weslo and it lasted 15 years..it was my Mothers than mine. It was a good one too. I just looked up the top treadmills though and neither brand was listed lol so I am not sure I guess. My Proform was around 600 but the Weslo was a bit more. Hope that helps.
  • angelgutierrez
    Options
    I bought a new Golds Gym brand treadmill, for about $400 last year. I wish i would have bought an elliptical.
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    All I can say is dont cheap out, shop around, and try them out. make sure all the features are right for you. I love my elliptical it is the best! it is a Norctrack audio strider 990, my only complaint is I cannot control the volume on the iFit programs. diddnt even think it would be an issue, but it is.

I chose ellptical for its workout diversity and low impact. my joints thank me.

btw when I bought it it was about $2000, they retail for less than $1000 now.
  • Missjilly1025
    Missjilly1025 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    At that price I would look into a good used machine.

Here are a couple links to get you started
    http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/Treadmill-Buyers-guide
    http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/2010-Used-Buyers-Guide-Treadmills-and-Ellipticals

This. You won't get a decent treadmill under $1000. You need at least 2.5 hp to make buying one worth it.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I had a pro-form treadmill, and i liked it, but we moved & we did not bring it with us. We did however purchase an elliptical. I love my Pro-Form Comfort Stride Elliptical with ErgoFit Pedals, II paid $429.95 @HSN, we use it every day. It has at an 18" stride (important anything less than is just too short.) I would never go back to the treadmill. I burn more calories on the elliptical & it's easier on my knees. (and when i want to walk i go outside, or to the mall):smile:
  • cdnclovr
    cdnclovr Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I can't say anything about ellipticals but I love my treadmill. It has a built-in fan and speakers so I can plug in an mp3/iphone/ipod. The other thing is, if I don't feel like walk/jog/running, I can do inclines. Just watch the weight requirements. Many have a max of 250-260 lbs. If you need one to support a bigger weight, it may cost more or you can go second-hand.

Just my 0.02 cents.
  • jsflare
    Options
    I bought a golds gym treadmill from walmart for $377 and I love it, there are a bunch of different programs on it, comes with handweights, and it has the incline options!! I use it all the time!
  • MarilynGrube
    MarilynGrube Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't think you NEED to spend more than $600 to $700 on a treadmill.. But they are right about the running verses walking. I just walk on mine, which works for me. I haven't looked at the new treadmills lately so I am not sure if all have this, but make sure the have the shock absorbers. As far as ellipticals go though, I used to work at Sears and you WILL feel the difference between the cheap and higher end machines!! I would probably invest a bit more on an elliptical.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    All I can say is dont cheap out, shop around, and try them out. make sure all the features are right for you. I love my elliptical it is the best! it is a Norctrack audio strider 990, my only complaint is I cannot control the volume on the iFit programs. diddnt even think it would be an issue, but it is.

I thought I was the only one. I have the same issue with the ifit on my elliptical. I ended up putting electrical tape over the speakers. It's bad enough having Jillian Micheals yell at me, but she was waking up the whole house @ 5:00 in the morning.

BTW i was able to download 10(each was 3days x 8weeks) free sample workouts at the ifit website i just searched free ifit
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options

I thought I was the only one. I have the same issue with the ifit on my elliptical. I ended up putting electrical tape over the speakers. It's bad enough having Jillian Micheals yell at me, but she was waking up the whole house @ 5:00 in the morning.

BTW i was able to download 10(each was 3days x 8weeks) free sample workouts at the ifit website i just searched free ifit

ooh thanks for the free iFit advice, will go look.

I put a thick towel over the speakers, muffles her enought that It is bareable. ive even thought about disconecting the speaker all together. it is the only complaint I have though.
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My understanding is if you want to run on the treadmill, you better spend some money, like $2K. $600 is going to get you crap quality.

Not true. We've beat ours to death and not had any problems with it. Trust me, it's seen A LOT of miles. $575