To eat or not to eat that is the question.

Options
2»

Replies

• chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Really either way you will burn muscle. Your body will use the glycogen from muscle tissue for energy during aerobic activity. Once all of that is gone, it will burn fat for energy. This is a basic rule of anatomy.

The problem lies in that you need to replenish those muscles immediately. By eating pre-workout, you are starting the digestive process earlier, therefor allowing the nutrients to start making their way to the muscles earlier.

Please remember it is not an all or nothing position either. While your body is using glycogen from the muscle tissue, it is still burning some fat. **The body uses fat as a delivery method for nutrients, both in and out**

That's why the debate is so long on the topic. You really can do it either way, but make sure you know what you are doing so you can reap the maximum benefit from your hard work. :drinker:
  • sassycat
    sassycat Posts: 108
    Options
    Really either way you will burn muscle. Your body will use the glycogen from muscle tissue for energy during aerobic activity. Once all of that is gone, it will burn fat for energy. This is a basic rule of anatomy.

The problem lies in that you need to replenish those muscles immediately. By eating pre-workout, you are starting the digestive process earlier, therefor allowing the nutrients to start making their way to the muscles earlier.

Please remember it is not an all or nothing position either. While your body is using glycogen from the muscle tissue, it is still burning some fat. **The body uses fat as a delivery method for nutrients, both in and out**

That's why the debate is so long on the topic. You really can do it either way, but make sure you know what you are doing so you can reap the maximum benefit from your hard work. :drinker:

Thank you for clearing that up. This helps. :smile:
  • sassycat
    sassycat Posts: 108
    Options
    Oh yea! I was going to mention that I always heard if you exercise before you eat, you won't eat as much afterwards. I know after I go for a brisk walk--I don't have that hungry feeling anymore--not for awhile. Just putting that out there.....
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    If you guys want, I can break it down for you. I have done serious research on this topic. And (if I can find them, it's been a few months, and I have them tucked away somewhere) I have some clinical research that proves it all out, along with some articles from leading experts in the field.

The long and short of it is.
    In reality it makes very little difference if you eat before you exercise, after you exercise, 10 minutes before, 30 minutes after...etc.

Here's the deal. It's more complicated than just, exercise after you eat, and you're body burns the food. That's not really true in most cases.
    If you guys are eating healthy food, like you should be; complex carbs with fiber, and protein, and fats, then your body just doesn't immediately break all that down, it takes hours and hours to get that out of your system and into your muscles as glycogen and amino acids and lipids. When you exercise, your body burns glycogen, glycogen is stored in muscle and in the liver and is made from glucose. Glucose is converted mostly from carbohydrates, in the absence of carbs, the body will break down both protein and fat(body fat) to make glucose as well. The body doesn't just break down fat if there's extra body fat, any more than it just breaks down protein when there's no fat. It does both, at any time, when the glucose supply starts to go down, the body attempts to replenish it. Unfortunately, it takes a lot longer to create glycogen from glucose, then it does to burn glycogen during moderate aerobic exercise (and even longer from protein or stored body fat). So eventually the body will replenish the glycogen in the muscles and liver, but not right away. You'll be glad to know that the body stores enough glycogen to go for well over an hour at a moderate pace (between 75% and 85% or so HRmax), so generally most people don't really get into a position where you're in the anaerobic metabolism (a whole different matter).

So you see guys, no matter what you eat DURING exercise or just before, you're not burning a heck of a lot of fat vs muscle, you're burning glycogen (some small amount that digests during the exercise maybe, but that's it). What matters more is what you eat (whether it's before or after you exercise matters little) in the morning BECAUSE of the exercise. Low glycemic index foods with high fiber will keep the blood sugar low, keeping insulin down, thus minimizing the storage of fat in the body, this forces the body to use more carbohydrates for direct mitochondrial energy rather than storing it (I skipped about a zillion chemical steps there, but ...)

Moral of this story? Exercise good, low glycemic foods good, fiber good.

Does when you eat make a difference? I imagine it does a VERY little bit, but not enough to care about IMHO, as long as you are reasonable (I.E. not waiting till lunch time for your first meal or something silly like that). What matters more is WHAT you eat, and in what quantity.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have always wondered the same thing and was going to ask this same question. I'm still just as confused because no one seems to agree on this subject.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    If you guys want, I can break it down for you. I have done serious research on this topic. And (if I can find them, it's been a few months, and I have them tucked away somewhere) I have some clinical research that proves it all out, along with some articles from leading experts in the field.

In reality it makes very little difference if you eat before you exercise, after you exercise, 10 minutes before, 30 minutes after...etc.

Here's the deal. It's more complicated than just, exercise after you eat, and you're body burns the food. That's not really true in most cases.
    If you guys are eating healthy food, like you should be; complex carbs with fiber, and protein, and fats, then your body just doesn't immediately break all that down, it takes hours and hours to get that out of your system and into your muscles as glycogen and amino acids and lipids. When you exercise, your body burns glycogen, glycogen is stored in muscle and in the liver and is made from glucose. Glucose is converted mostly from carbohydrates, in the absence of carbs, the body will break down both protein and fat(body fat) to make glucose as well. The body doesn't just break down fat if there's extra body fat, any more than it just breaks down protein when there's no fat. It does both, at any time, when the glucose supply starts to go down, the body attempts to replenish it. Unfortunately, it takes a lot longer to create glycogen from glucose, then it does to burn glycogen during moderate aerobic exercise (and even longer from protein or stored body fat). So eventually the body will replenish the glycogen in the muscles and liver, but not right away. You'll be glad to know that the body stores enough glycogen to go for well over an hour at a moderate pace (between 75% and 85% or so HRmax), so generally most people don't really get into a position where you're in the anaerobic metabolism (a whole different matter).

So you see guys, no matter what you eat DURING exercise or just before, you're not burning a heck of a lot of fat vs muscle, you're burning glycogen (some small amount that digests during the exercise maybe, but that's it). What matters more is what you eat (whether it's before or after you exercise matters little) in the morning BECAUSE of the exercise. Low glycemic index foods with high fiber will keep the blood sugar low, keeping insulin down, thus minimizing the storage of fat in the body, this forces the body to use more carbohydrates for direct mitochondrial energy rather than storing it (I skipped about a zillion chemical steps there, but ...)

Does when you eat make a difference? I imagine it does a VERY little bit, but not enough to care about IMHO, as long as you are reasonable (I.E. not waiting till lunch time for your first meal or something silly like that). What matters more is WHAT you eat, and in what quantity.
    Makes sense-thanks for the info.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    This is kinda the same debate when people were discussing whether to work out in the morning as opposed to night. As if your body only allows you to work out either/or? haha. I think the point is, when your working out, eating right... sometimes it just comes down to convienence when your schedule your meals and exercise time. There are some famous bodybuilders that used to burn the oil throughout the night. Your body isn't a light switch...its always operating.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    This is kinda the same debate when people were discussing whether to work out in the morning as opposed to night. As if your body only allows you to work out either/or? haha. I think the point is, when your working out, eating right... sometimes it just comes down to convienence when your schedule your meals and exercise time. There are some famous bodybuilders that used to burn the oil throughout the night. Your body isn't a light switch...its always operating.

Yes, that's essentially what I was trying to say. I just don't articulate very well some times. :tongue:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options

That is exactly right. During high level of activity, your body goes for glycogen, and this is stored in both muscle tissue and the liver.

This is certainly where you get your energy from to exercise. Fat is burned while resting. Your body does not need the fuel immediately, so it pulls the energy from the fat supply, leaving the muscle tissue for the emergency situations (like exercise) where it needs to get to it quickly.

This is exactly what my trainer told me too and my sone who is taking biochemistry at school
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options

Yes, that's essentially what I was trying to say. I just don't articulate very well some times. :tongue:

I think that was the challenge I found myself dealing with when I decided to "get real" about making a change in my life. Was understanding what works. It was tough at first, because your just bombarded with ideas, techniques and opinions. And just like a-holes, everyone has one. I mean, in one instance you dont' want to start out by over complicating everything (all the numbers, facts, info) but then you don't want to waste your time doing the "wrong" things either. I started reading a book suggested to me, just so I had somewhere to start. It broke things down to beginner all the way up to like super-bad-*kitten*-advanced. Which gave me time to get a base started not just with my exercise routines, but my eating habits as well.

Learning to make reasonable goals, but goals that were challenging enough to yield results. Understanding the difference between long term and short term goals. If all you have to keep you motivated are BIG lofty goals...you'll never see progress and just give up; that goes with eating and working out.

Asking questions and not being afraid too. Doing some research. Learning to cut through the psuedo-science and picking up good, fundamental information that for the most part is consistent amongst all the advice.

Finally, understanding my body in a way that is simple. I like to refer to my body, like a car. I'm a mechanic by trade, so when I think of my body in terms of a machine. It just makes sense to me.
    I can relate. Not only can I relate, I start to enjoy learning and putting it to practice.

I can't say I've been the most successful. Cause I've seen some people on here with some amazing results. But I understand and acknowledge, that everyone is different. What works for you, may not work for my body. Staying patient, diligent and taking the punches as I go. It works
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options

I think that was the challenge I found myself dealing with when I decided to "get real" about making a change in my life. Was understanding what works. It was tough at first, because your just bombarded with ideas, techniques and opinions. And just like a-holes, everyone has one. I mean, in one instance you dont' want to start out by over complicating everything (all the numbers, facts, info) but then you don't want to waste your time doing the "wrong" things either. I started reading a book suggested to me, just so I had somewhere to start. It broke things down to beginner all the way up to like super-bad-*kitten*-advanced. Which gave me time to get a base started not just with my exercise routines, but my eating habits as well.

Learning to make reasonable goals, but goals that were challenging enough to yield results. Understanding the difference between long term and short term goals. If all you have to keep you motivated are BIG lofty goals...you'll never see progress and just give up; that goes with eating and working out.

Asking questions and not being afraid too. Doing some research. Learning to cut through the psuedo-science and picking up good, fundamental information that for the most part is consistent amongst all the advice.

Finally, understanding my body in a way that is simple. I like to refer to my body, like a car. I'm a mechanic by trade, so when I think of my body in terms of a machine. It just makes sense to me.
    I can relate. Not only can I relate, I start to enjoy learning and putting it to practice.

I can't say I've been the most successful. Cause I've seen some people on here with some amazing results. But I understand and acknowledge, that everyone is different. What works for you, may not work for my body. Staying patient, diligent and taking the punches as I go. It works

Hey Sarge,
    Would you mind telling me what book you read? I'm very curious!
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal. If you walk or workout on an empty stomach your body will need to pull energy from somewhere.....Fat Stores. If you eat something, your body will use that food as fuel. So when you workout on an empty stomach you will benefit and then eat within the hr afterward and the increased metabolism you just ramped up will burn the food off faster. Double bonus. This is what I've been doing for the last 4 months and I've lost a total of 55 lbs. It works. Also, go to bed on an empty stomach (last meal at least 3 hrs b4 bed) and if you can get a quick 30 minute walk, run, jump rope, climb stairs), you go to bed with an increased metabolism.

I just want to pose the counter point to this one. When you are empty and your body needs fuel, the first thing it goes to (barring any food in you) is your muscles, not fat. It is easier for the muscles to be broken down and turned into energy than it is for fat. If you google the question, there is plenty of evidence to support.

Do yourself a favor and eat something first, and if you choose not to make certain to heavy load on the protein when you are finished. Either way its better than not working out at all, lol.

This is very true.........

I eat a hard boiled egg before working out in the morning and water......

i am diabetic and have to have something so I don't have a blood sugar dip really low.
  • victoryismine
    Options

As a matter of fact I am starting the low glycemic foods right now. going shopping for everything tomorrow, or maybe today, its after midnight. Thanks for all you input.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I'd say do what feels good to you. If I did a morning workout, I would prefer to workout and then eat.
  • victoryismine
    Options
    :noway: :flowerforyou: Just wanted to say thanks for all the replys! I guess it comes down to what works for me. Its hard to eat at 4 am. I usually down a cup of coffee and head out the door for a 3 mile walk. So I think that I'm safe if I do and if I don't, I usually eat about an hour or so after I work out. so many different opinions out there. :noway: :flowerforyou:
    Thanks
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    So I just spoke to a fitness specialist that has a college degree for this type of stuff and she basically said that if you consider you body as a machine, waking up in the morning and eating something is like starting the engine to your matabolism (so it doesn't necessary make your system excelerate like adding gas, but it starts it up so it can begin working) The problem with working out without any food is that your body is going to be tired and won't have energy to work well (personall, I don't think I could run 5 miles after waking up and nothing in my system and not pass out :sick: ).

She recommended you eat something very small and light like a hardboiled egg, apple, banana something to get your body going and give it energy. When you are working out the amount of calories you burn will be more than that small snack, so you will still be burning the extra stuff. After the workout you can have the rest of your breakfast. :drinker:

As with all things everyone system works different and you just have to figure out what works best for youl :happy:

Soooo well said! I agree:flowerforyou:
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I work out in the early mornings and have always done so on an empty stomach, otherwise I think I would throw up. I have water about 30 minutes before my training sessions or cardio sessions. But I am talking very early in the morning. I meet the trainer at the gym at 7am. (pretty early for me, heh)

I asked my trainer about this question and he said that the recommendation was to not eat anything within 90 minutes before extreme exercise. Kind of like when your mom told you to wait thirty minutes after eating before diving into the pool and swimming. 90 minutes gives your stomach time to settle down so you don't get cramps. He also recommended that I not have coffee before the session, because the caffeine raises your heart rate. Which I find extremely unfair as he always has coffee before our sessions, But then, he's not exercising. :laugh:

He also said, that it is best to eat within 30 minutes of finishing your exercise, and that it should be complex carbs.

So that is what I've been doing and it works for me.

He's also told me that working out early is supposedly the best thing, and I've read a few things that seem to support that, but that the advantage of an early morning workout, physiologically, is minor. For me, I like working out in the morning, because it's out of the way for the day. I can feel "virtuous" all day, rather than having the workout "looming" ahead of me.

That's just me though.