HELP - I Just Had All My Teeth Pulled

Options

Replies

• Mary2270
    Options
    Atkins protein shakes and pure protein shakes!
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Why did they remove all your teeth?

OOUCH!!! OMG! I'm sorry that you are going through this!

I would advise soups (I use my immersion blender to make them really smooth), I just make a broth and dump in any veggies I can find, some days mushrooms, some days spinach, butternut squash... some days all of the above!

And protein shakes...

Get well soon, it sounds awful!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    mashed taters
    Porridge
    Egg drop soup.
    Chicken noodle soup (if the veggies and chicken are chopped up fine and cooked mushy)
    Yogurt
    Oat meal

When you want something cold: freeze some go-gurt.
  • snaus70
    Options
    Could you eat soft scrambled eggs, mashed up?
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    When my daughter gets her braces tightened she gets canned new england clam chowder (I know you can't chew the clams, but they are small enough to swallow as is anyway) There are plenty of low-calorie soups that have softer ingredients that can possibly fit into the changes you are dealing with.
    Protein shakes - (I use coffee and vanilla powder with a dash of cinnamon over ice for a really tasty and fairly low-cal breakfast latte. that isn't too sweet) You can add a bit of chocolate syrup or caramel syrup or both if it needs to be sweeter.
    Good luck with it!
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    my mom had the same thing done about 6 months ago, she ate a lot of soups and jello, but for whatever reason the Dentist told her NO RED JELLO lol. She also ate mashed potatos a lot. Lol I know its not great ideas, but its better than starving to death Lol

Curious!! I wonder why no red jello, did he not say why not?

I know some doctors ask you not to eat red jello because the red gives the impression a bleeding issue where there is none.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    As a person who has had lots of dental work and TMJ issues over the years my suggestions would be:

Avoid firm foods like crunchy raw veggies and chocolate.. meat like steak can be very firm also unless it's really fall off the bone tender. Nuts, popcorn, and chips (especially corn chips) are right out for now.

Soft foods are your friend... like cooked veggies: You can even mash them like mashed sweet potatoes, mashed butternut squash, mashed cauliflower. Nice broth based soup with soft veggies in it can be nice too.

Just be careful because when you're on soft comfort food it can be easy to get carried away with things like butter, salt, and milk/cream. But a nice creamy soup can be very comforting and filling when you're having to be on softer foods for awhile. Not to mention ice cream and shakes/smoothies.. Best of luck!
  • lcharity79
    lcharity79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I mix 4 oz of cottage cheese with 4oz of greek yogurt, add a splash of vanilla and some sweetener...and then some frozen berries...puree it all up and it tastes like cheesecake filling! High protein, low fat...and absolutely delightful!
  • dolfn1972
    dolfn1972 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Soup
    Jello
    Low Fat/Sugar pudding
    mashed taters (reg or sweet)
    Stuffing ( I know I know not healthy...but its filling)
    applesauce
    mac n cheese...cooked very very soft
    Oatmeal
    Soft toast
    Peas
    I know alot of folks will bawk..but baby food as well. not all of them taste good though..so careful. LOL

Just some ideas from experience. Good luck. I know the pain and how frustrating it is
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options

I am also curious. I didn't realize people got dentures so young. Do tell. Please.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

I am also curious. I didn't realize people got dentures so young. Do tell. Please.
    My mom got dentures at 34, although they did not remove all of her teeth, but most
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Just be careful not to consume any of this with a straw (unless your dentist says otherwise). When I had my wisdom teeth removed that was one of the biggest warnings I received. Dry sockets are no joke. :-(

Lots of mushy warm food will be good for your healing. Good luck!!!
  • drummergirl61
    drummergirl61 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow! So many replies in such a short time:) Thank you to all of you! So many great ideas. Two years ago I was diagnosed with throat cancer and went thru 30 radiation treatments. About 6 months after, my teeth started to decay and finally reached the point of no return. So here I am today. I am cancer free :) I'm sure the cancer came from smoking...if your a smoker I hope this helps to inspire you to quit. Thanks again! I need to go back and re-read everything and make a menu.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Wow! So many replies in such a short time:) Thank you to all of you! So many great ideas. Two years ago I was diagnosed with throat cancer and went thru 30 radiation treatments. About 6 months after, my teeth started to decay and finally reached the point of no return. So here I am today. I am cancer free :) I'm sure the cancer came from smoking...if your a smoker I hope this helps to inspire you to quit. Thanks again! I need to go back and re-read everything and make a menu.

I'm very glad to hear that the cancer is gone.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Oh that gave me chills! So glad your cancer is gone :) congrats on being cancer free! :)
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options

My mom got dentures at 34, although they did not remove all of her teeth, but most

I had an officemate in her late 20's. She got gastric bypass surgery and her stomach was so small, she vomited constantly for the first several months. Her teeth were ruined after a year, and she had to get them all removed.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options

Congratulations to you! Best of luck.
  • lovinmysoldier
    lovinmysoldier Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    my mom had the same thing done about 6 months ago, she ate a lot of soups and jello, but for whatever reason the Dentist told her NO RED JELLO lol. She also ate mashed potatos a lot. Lol I know its not great ideas, but its better than starving to death Lol

Curious!! I wonder why no red jello, did he not say why not?

If there is ever a question of bleeding the red dye makes it hard to differentiate between blood and dye.
  • pandasand
    pandasand Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Pureed veggies/soup
    Cream of Wheat
    Protein shakes
    Smoothies
    Mashed potatoes/cauliflower

Just throw something in a blender. When my dad had jaw surgery he could only have liquids so we just threw his food in a blender and it came out like baby food
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Wow... You are a survivor! Wow. I hope you feel good soon...