popcorn?

Options
dubist
dubist Posts: 279 Member
whats the best way to make popcorn?

what is the best low calorie microwave popcorn?

Replies

• rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I use an air popper - it's the cheapest and lowest calorie option there is.
  • LHAMON2009
    Options
    Personally I make my own popcorn which is extremely healthy. I can have 5 cups of popcorn I popped in my popper for under 100 calories with salt and butter flavoring included.
  • mandy_lee86
    mandy_lee86 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Orville Redenbacher has 100 calorie mini bags that are good.
  • jomo1113
    jomo1113 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    We like to make our own at home. You can put some kernels in a brown lunch bag and fold the top down and pop like normal. This way you can add your own seasonings without over doing it, and you don't get all the butter and fat.
  • ShrinkingChelle
    Options
    whats the best way to make popcorn?

what is the best low calorie microwave popcorn?

Smart Pop 100 Calorie bags?
  • whitneyann0
    whitneyann0 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I use an air-popper. You can have 5 cups for 100 calories. :) And sometimes I'll use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray on it too.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My favorite is to microwave it myself! Get the regular bulk popcorn kernels, put about 1/3 cup in a brown paper bag (like lunch bag size), fold it down a couple of times and pop it in your microwave! I use the popcorn setting on mine, but like the store bought microwave stuff, use whatever time works best in your micro - listen for popping to slow or stop, etc. SO much cheaper than the stuff you buy, you can add your own butter, olive oil, coconut oil, seasonings - whatever! Then you know exactly what's in your popcorn, and you're saving $$!

Edited to add: Yeah, like jomo said! :tongue:
  • tanigrrrrr
    tanigrrrrr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have an air popper for my popcorn.
    Super healthy... usually to flavour i put a small amount of olive oil over it and a small amount of salt.
    up my water intake and go to town.!
  • jennhase
    jennhase Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Orville Redenbacher has 100 calorie mini bags that are good.
    definately agree!
  • Jordynnsmom
    Jordynnsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This is what I do because I LOVE popcorn. I air pop it, then spray a little butter flavored Pam (0 cals) on it so that my popcorn sprinkles will stick to it. Popcorn sprinkles are awesome and the one I use is only 2 cals per tsp.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    So far Trader Joe's lite popcorn is my fave!
  • BassesGirl
    BassesGirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I pop my own, but I don't have a popper so I pop over the stove using oil. This method has slightly more calories/fat than using a popper but its not too bad (especially as I just use a little I can't believe it's not butter and parmesan cheese for flavoring)

Definitely one of my favorite snacks
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Like your avatar .... cute

I use a Presto Power Pop microwave bowl. I love it, I add 1 teaspoon of oil (optional) to make the salt stick. I use butter flavored oil and then no butter.

I've heard several people use plain brown lunch bags (no oil) and pop corn that way. Have not tried this.

Ready to pop - I like Pop Secret 94% Fat Free. I keep a couple mini bags at work .... just in case
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have a little bowl thing you put the popcorn in, and then put it in the microwave. It works really well, and no risk of it catching on fire as with a paper bag.
  • nahralynn
    nahralynn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    We like to make our own at home. You can put some kernels in a brown lunch bag and fold the top down and pop like normal. This way you can add your own seasonings without over doing it, and you don't get all the butter and fat.

THIS is the easiest way to make popcorn. We can get a big bag of kernels for like $1 and use about 1/4c of kernels in the bag. SO EASY!
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Orville has some mini bags now that have flavorings (I really like the salt and cracked pepper one...NOM!)
  • ruskmusic
    Options
    I pop it in a popper with a tiny bit of canola oil its tasty :)
  • TexNut
    TexNut Posts: 53
    Options
    My favorite is to microwave it myself! Get the regular bulk popcorn kernels, put about 1/3 cup in a brown paper bag (like lunch bag size), fold it down a couple of times and pop it in your microwave! I use the popcorn setting on mine, but like the store bought microwave stuff, use whatever time works best in your micro - listen for popping to slow or stop, etc. SO much cheaper than the stuff you buy, you can add your own butter, olive oil, coconut oil, seasonings - whatever! Then you know exactly what's in your popcorn, and you're saving $$!

Edited to add: Yeah, like jomo said! :tongue:

Awesome! I absolutely love Black Jewell popcorn. 1g Fat, 4g Fiber, 3g Protein per 2 tablespoons of kernels. Coconut oil and sea salt make this an amazing snack that's an excellent chip replacement, or just when you need something crunchy to knosh on! PLUS, the kernels don't get stuck in your teeth, and you chew up the entire thing easily!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    We use a little canola or EVOO in a stovetop popper. We had a bit of salt. It's not too bad on calories, tastes way better than microwave, and is super yummy!
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I use an air popper. Quick, cheap, and easy. And TASTY!