Please take a look at my diary - Not losing weight

Options
13»

Replies

• UltraRoyal
    Options
    It sounds like you have hit a plateau. Meaning you body has grown accustom to your meal intakes and exercise regime. Its time to change it up dramatically!!!! So for breakfast....no more cereal (its easy i kno) boil an egg, one slice of toast, 2 pieces of turkey bacon, and a serving fruit. Your breakfast is too simple. For exercise....if you have been running a 5mph, time to kick it up to 6-7 if your weight lifting 4lbs time to up the weight or reps. When your body defeats a level 1, you have to take it to level 2, and so on until you reach your goal. So change up your breakfast, up your exercise intensity and change it up.....and drink lots of water (i didnt see it recoreded) I wish you the best.
  • amberbekolay
    Options
    I would first recommend adding fibre and/or protein to your breakfast. It is your smallest caloric meal of the day. Ideally you would have your breakfast as calorically dense or more than your later meals as you have all day to burn it off. Try adding egg whites, all bran buds, or oatmeal to your weekly routine. Also, try adding small amounts of protein to your snacks. Idea: Low fat cottage cheese, nuts (small amounts as they are healthy yet calorically dense). The protein can help stabilize your appetite and blood sugar levels. You may notice less up and downs in energy, appetite, and feel more balanced through the day. Thus, your liver/pancreas are not working overtime to balance your blood sugar/insulin levels. Just a thought from a Dietitian prospective (I only had a chance to glance and this week's input for your diary). :)

As well, remember that how you feel and how your clothes are fitting (i.e. inches lost) are more significant than what a scale says. You can lose up to 3 lbs after a good bathroom visit so the scale isn't always telling.

Thank you for the advice, I will for sure give this a try!
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I also noticed that you are on a pretty high calorie diet. I just joined a beyond diets class and they put us on a 1,200 calorie diet if we want to lose weight. And a 1,400 if we want to maintain our weight. But if you are very active then you need more calories then that!

Not sure what this person is looking at, but your calorie intake looks fine. 1400 is not for maintaining, it doesn't even meet most people's BMR. MFP had me on 1430 for losing 1lb per week w/ sedentary settings. It looks like your daily calorie goal is 1290 and your exercising has caused your ability to eat more.

The FDA did recently decrease sodium recommendations to 1500mg, but this was specifically for those with heart and kidney disorders. Otherwise, the recommend 1500 but to not go over 2500.

Your overall food makeup looks great, so I would tend to agree that maybe your portions are off or you are overestimating your exercise calories. I have also seen quite a few people (myself included) get over a plateau by increasing their food (I started losing again after adding 200 calories after being on a 3 month plateau)...there is a lot on MFP re: BMR, might want to read on it some. It all goes to the fact that if you eat too little, than your body's natural metabolism slows down. If you start eating over your BMR again, then it will start burning more fuel just for living.

A lot of people have opinions on 'carbs are bad' or 'dairy is bad' or 'eating your husband while he is still alive is bad'...everyone is different, so play around until you find what works. Also, don't be afraid to research things as well. I just recently read a research article in the journal of metabolism and endocrinology re: natural, hunger free weight loss when you are at 65% carb, 15% fat, 20% prot...but I can't get my fat that low...so carbs aren't bad, just don't want refined carbs in excess (but some people have intolerances, so cause bloating/cramps/etc)

Good luck!

just to add--saw that you are doing JM vids. When I did those, I gained 2-3 pounds in a month, but my measurements and pics showed great loss. So make sure and check your measurements. You may be gaining from muscle, but still losing inches. Keep an eye out for signs of slimming down that don't rely on the scale!
  • amberbekolay
    Options
    It sounds like you have hit a plateau. Meaning you body has grown accustom to your meal intakes and exercise regime. Its time to change it up dramatically!!!! So for breakfast....no more cereal (its easy i kno) boil an egg, one slice of toast, 2 pieces of turkey bacon, and a serving fruit. Your breakfast is too simple. For exercise....if you have been running a 5mph, time to kick it up to 6-7 if your weight lifting 4lbs time to up the weight or reps. When your body defeats a level 1, you have to take it to level 2, and so on until you reach your goal. So change up your breakfast, up your exercise intensity and change it up.....and drink lots of water (i didnt see it recoreded) I wish you the best.

Thank you! That makes sense... I definitely tend to eat pretty much the same things every day and do the same workouts all the time. I am sure this will help!
  • amberbekolay
    Options
    I also noticed that you are on a pretty high calorie diet. I just joined a beyond diets class and they put us on a 1,200 calorie diet if we want to lose weight. And a 1,400 if we want to maintain our weight. But if you are very active then you need more calories then that!

Not sure what this person is looking at, but your calorie intake looks fine. 1400 is not for maintaining, it doesn't even meet most people's BMR. MFP had me on 1430 for losing 1lb per week w/ sedentary settings. It looks like your daily calorie goal is 1290 and your exercising has caused your ability to eat more.

The FDA did recently decrease sodium recommendations to 1500mg, but this was specifically for those with heart and kidney disorders. Otherwise, the recommend 1500 but to not go over 2500.

Your overall food makeup looks great, so I would tend to agree that maybe your portions are off or you are overestimating your exercise calories. I have also seen quite a few people (myself included) get over a plateau by increasing their food (I started losing again after adding 200 calories after being on a 3 month plateau)...there is a lot on MFP re: BMR, might want to read on it some. It all goes to the fact that if you eat too little, than your body's natural metabolism slows down. If you start eating over your BMR again, then it will start burning more fuel just for living.

A lot of people have opinions on 'carbs are bad' or 'dairy is bad' or 'eating your husband while he is still alive is bad'...everyone is different, so play around until you find what works. Also, don't be afraid to research things as well. I just recently read a research article in the journal of metabolism and endocrinology re: natural, hunger free weight loss when you are at 65% carb, 15% fat, 20% prot...but I can't get my fat that low...so carbs aren't bad, just don't want refined carbs in excess (but some people have intolerances, so cause bloating/cramps/etc)

Good luck!

just to add--saw that you are doing JM vids. When I did those, I gained 2-3 pounds in a month, but my measurements and pics showed great loss. So make sure and check your measurements. You may be gaining from muscle, but still losing inches. Keep an eye out for signs of slimming down that don't rely on the scale!

Thanks so much! I will definitely try upping my calories for a week and then going back down and see if that helps. Also I think I should for sure invest in a good kitchen scale.

I'll also have to take my measurements tonight and see if they have changed since last time. I haven't checked in a while.
    Thanks!
  • mstormth
    mstormth Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem.... i have not lost much since Christmas