Weigh-loss, Diet or entire lifestyle change which are you do

Options
Is this weight loss you are seeking, is it a diet or whole new lifestyle change? If so, what's the difference to you and why do you think so (if you say lifestyle change or diet)?

If you say lifestyle change, what are you doing differently--that distinguishes this weigh loss effort from a diet?

Lastly, what is a lifestyle change to you--what's your definition of a lifestyle change and why or why isn't it important to you on your weight loss mission?

Thanks so much in advance for your reply. I think our answers will really inspire someone or at least give us something to "chew on" pun intended:happy:

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Mine is a lifestyle change. This isn't a temporary solution, nor is it restrictive beyond tracking calories in order to ensure I'm consuming the right amount of food. It's about changing deep-rooted behaviours for a long-term difference in the way I live. It's about re-learning and about changing habits, becoming a new person physically and mentally, not just physically.

Losing weight is a goal of mine, and a good measurement of how things are going, but the important thing is that I'm gaining overall health and that's something that won't necessarily completely show on the outside.
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Is this weight loss you are seeking, is it a diet or whole new lifestyle change? If so, what's the difference to you and why do you think so (if you say lifestyle change or diet)?

Definitely a lifestyle change. To me, a diet was a certain type of meal or food you had to eat everyday, it gets boring. Counting calories is a lifestyle change because you can almost eat whatever you want with proper portion control.
    If you say lifestyle change, what are you doing differently--that distinguishes this weigh loss effort from a diet?

I don't feel a disconnect with other people around me. I'm eating what they're eating just not at the rate that got me there before. On a diet, you look of it as a chore and it is mentally tough because there are so many rules. As for what I'm doing different or how I feel compared to a predetermined diet; I'm sticking to it, losing, and am happy about the entire process.
    Lastly, what is a lifestyle change to you--what's your definition of a lifestyle change and why or why isn't it important to you on your weight loss mission?

A lifestyle change is just the right mindset I believe. It's a commitment to the entire process; eating healthier, exercising, and just really giving a crap about your health. It's important because it's the right process, to get the results (weight loss), you need the right process.
  • SFalconStorm
    SFalconStorm Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It's a lifestyle change for me. To me a diet is a temporary thing that ends at some point with the intention of going back to the same eating habits as before. Logic dictates that such a method would be doomed to failure if the ultimate goal is sustained fat loss. Also, 'diet' is a four letter word. *grin*

For me, lifestyle change must be the goal. Why else make the change?
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It's a lifestyle change. I'm not trying to fit into my old jeans or look a particular way. I have lost 170 lbs and would like to lose another 10 lb. but more importantly I want to be here to see my children marry, play with my grandchildren some day , travel and enjoy life. I choose life over food . I have made eying healthy and exercising a part of my life permanently.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    WOW! These are some awesome comments and have given me much food for thought and meditation. Thanks to you ALL for replying!
  • meganbilbao
    meganbilbao Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I definitely want to make a lifestyle change! I know it's not easy, and in the past, I only wanted to do what came easy. Today, I am deciding to recommit myself to myself, my family and my health. I know it won't be easy, but it will be worth it.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    I definitely want to make a lifestyle change! I know it's not easy, and in the past, I only wanted to do what came easy. Today, I am deciding to recommit myself to myself, my family and my health. I know it won't be easy, but it will be worth it.

Let me tell ya, making a lifestyle change is the only way to fly for me, literally...it's like I'm flying in so many areas now--I'm so GLAD for lifestyle changes, that it's never too late (until we're in the grave:noway: ) to make lifestyle changes. Thanks for posting!!!
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    It is definately a lifestyle change. I have maintained my weight loss for 2 + years. Doing that is not possible unless you do a lifestyle change...if you "diet" you usually gain the weight back.

I eliminated processed foods. Weight Lift. Am very active. I am very mindful of the foods I eat, I try to eat nutrient dense foods as much as possible.
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I want it to be a lifestyle change.

Since leaving school I have studied full time and worked full time and literally shovelled junk in during spare time here and there and lots of take away leading to a weight gain of 20kg (around 40lbs!)

I now study part time so have more free time and I drive so no more public transport again giving me more time. I live in my own place now so I can cook and eat whenever I want without disturbing others and I am now a vegetarian which is a lifestyle change again.

I have started discovering loads of new foods since saying no to meat and its going great so far. I have lost 1.6kg (3.5lb) in 1.5 weeks which is fine with me
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    It is definately a lifestyle change. I have maintained my weight loss for 2 + years. Doing that is not possible unless you do a lifestyle change...if you "diet" you usually gain the weight back.

I eliminated processed foods. Weight Lift. Am very active. I am very mindful of the foods I eat, I try to eat nutrient dense foods as much as possible.

WOW!!!! I'm so proud of you to have lost 65 pounds!!!! Wow, you rock and part of my new lifestyle is becoming very active (versus being a lazy sedentary ugh like I used to me) and also kicking processed and junky foods and drinks to the curb and more).
    Thanks for posting this inspiring post!!!!
  • roadworthy
    roadworthy Posts: 130
    Options
    This is a life style change for me. I feel like a diet is something where you deprive yourself or force insane amounts of workouts in even when you don't have time. Eventually I will burn out and go back to my old ways.

I still eat treats, I eat from all food groups, I just eat more better things and less treats. Because I am tracking my food I can see where I was going wrong. I have upped my activity level by doing various things that I really do enjoy. Sometimes I get 4500 calories burned in a week and sometimes 2000. I don't fret over the amount because I want to be able to live this way for the rest of my life.

I need to have a lifestyle change because in the long haul it will work. I refuse to go back, EVER.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    For me this is a lifestyle change. My poor lifestyle choices are what got me here, so I don't want to go down that road again. So many people who diet yo-yo up and down over the years. I NEVER, EVER want to have to do this again!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I'd say it's weight loss, but all things considered it's a lifestyle change. I now know what foods were helping me gain this weight and I don't think once I hit my goal weight I can just go back to eating what I want whenever I want, the habit of watching the calories and fat and sugar will have been engrained in me by then. I probably would be more lax, but still.
  • NomiS6
    NomiS6 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Started off as a diet but now has developed into a life style change, and dam it feels good
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change: means you change your life for the better so that you can live out your days being fit and healthy and strong

Diet (in the common sense of the word): a temporary unsustainable way of eating that fat, unfit, unhealthy people do periodically throughout their lives. See also, "cleanse", "detox".
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    1 - I've made an entire lifestyle change

I no longer eat fast food or cardboard meals. I don't drink anything other than water or coffee. I rarely eat junk food and nearly all of my meals are made from scratch, mostly organic, all natural. I work out for fun as well as fitness - lifting hard 3X a week in addition to kickboxing and zumba classes. I don't ever intend to stop.

and

2 - I am eating at a deficit to lose fat (ie: dieting)

I am eating approximately 500 calories less than maintenance in order to lose fat. I have 15-20 pounds to go, although I'm not as concerned about the scale as I am my actual shape...which is shaping up nicely :laugh: Once I reach my fat-loss goal, I will eat at maintenance (or over, if I decide to bulk).
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I guess I would say that right now it is a diet, but in the long run it is lifestyle change if that makes sense? I am restrictive in what I eat and always go to eating healthier, exercise daily etc, but in the long run I want to make it an easy choice, so it is not so hard to pass on really unhealthy stuff.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    lifestyle change. because what i was doing before wasn't working. i thought i could go back to drinking soda, eating way too much and that i wasn't going to just gain the weight back. this is my third real attempt at weight loss. i did get to where i wanted to be before but this time i want to keep those changes in action. what i am doing is eating what food i need to fuel my body, working out, and making these changes part of my lifestyle. i see weight loss as just a temporary thing, a "diet" is also a temporaray thing.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    This is a lifestyle change for sure. A diet is a short term fix, if you eat less for a little while then you'll lose weight. However, if you go back to the eating habits that you had to get to where you are in the first place, then you'll gain it all back once you're off the "diet". That is the biggest difference.

I think a lifestyle change to me means that you are addressing all of the reasons you are overweight. For me, I have deep seeded emotional issues that often cause me to turn to food, and I needed to tend to those. I needed to look at my eating habits and see exactly where I was going wrong. I needed to look at my activity to see where I could improve. I had to look at my support system and see where it can improve. If you change your lifestyle, how you deal with conflict, people, food, success, etc. you wont just be losing 30 lbs or so until you slowly gain it back...you'll be healthy for the rest of your life and thats the difference. A diet is simply a short term fix for a weight problem only and a lifestyle change is fixing the root problems so once you lose the weight it stays off. :-)
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm on a diet to lose weight and look good. I want to like what I see in the mirror. This may evolve.