Marathon training issues - PLEASE HELP

Options
Kind of bummed......need runners support lol. My knees and ankles have been kind of achy since starting my training. Not sure why. I have been running these distances and even typically run 5 days a week, so going to 4 is nothing. But yet, my knees and ankles are starting to act up. Why? What am I doing differently. I keep my knees bent, short quick strides, slowing my pace for distance etc. I read on runners world that marathon training usually involves some aches. But again, this distance and days training is nothing unusual for me. Then it said women who run 10 min a mile or slower tend to ache. I fall into that catagory at about 10:30, but why all of a suddon? So I mention it to my aerobics teacher. She's a personal trainer and is very smart (as any trainer I suppose). She isn't a fan of running bc of how hard it can be on the joints. But don't running properly protect us from that? She knows how much this half means to me and said to put all other workouts, aside from her class of course, on the back burner and just focus on my training babying my knees and ankles as need be. After the training though she suggests my running be in moderation. Not a constant weekly workout. SAY WHAT??!?!?!!? It would have been easier to cut off my foot then to imagine me cutting my running back. :( So, my dear running friends, what is your take on this. Your advice. People who aren't runners don't get it lol but then again, she is a trainer. *sigh* Aside from her recommendation, what would you recommend?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out what changed. You said you been running a while and have even done more than you are now? Sometimes changing your gait in order to slow down throws your stride off and can cause you legs to ache. Personally I hate having to run slow. How many miles are on your shoes? Maybe they are beat?

How long have they been achy? Sometimes if you are battling a cold aches can manifest in your joints before the cold hits. That happened to me. I got done with a run and was achy, which I never am. By late that night the bug hit me.
  • lindy3t
    Options
    It could be your diet too, if anything changed. I am a massage therapist. FInd a therapist that works with runners already or has a lot of experience. I work with alot of runners. You can massage your own body around your knees and it will help the muscles, tendons etc loosen up and feel better. Maybe take a detoxing hot bath. you can use epsom salt or I have a product that is made from Dead Sea Salts and is stronger. but if you can't find dead sea salt soak, use epsom. I agree with rybo too. It could be a bit of an infection in your body. they can settle in the joint area. Mine hurt regularly but my knees crunch really bad from a few skiing accidents and car accident. Hope this helps
  • april1lowe
    april1lowe Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out what changed. You said you been running a while and have even done more than you are now? Sometimes changing your gait in order to slow down throws your stride off and can cause you legs to ache. Personally I hate having to run slow. How many miles are on your shoes? Maybe they are beat?

How long have they been achy? Sometimes if you are battling a cold aches can manifest in your joints before the cold hits. That happened to me. I got done with a run and was achy, which I never am. By late that night the bug hit me.

Yeah, I have ran as far as 7 miles (twice in one week). This weeks training is just now putting me at 7. I'm doing Hal Higdons so I have one long run a week. I haven't really slowed down that much. I usually do about 10:00-10:30 but on my long run days I do tend to bring it down to 11:00-11:30. My shoes are reasonably new, I bought them on Dec 29. The Reebok Realflex, they're wonderful! I had some achillis tendon pain going on from running too hard in my Vibrams and the Reeboks cushion my foot perfectly but still being a minimal shoe.

I've been achy now for about a week or so. I don't think I'm getting sick :/ Maybe my gait has changed and I'm just not catching it. After hurting my achillis tendon I've been watching my form super closely as to not do it again bc I knew I was going to be training for this half. I just can't imagine not running. It is by far my favorite exercise and is the reason why I've lost so much. Though I've only been running for 6 mths, the first 6 mths I didn't loose as much or enjoy exercise near as much. Not like I do running. Tomorrow is my long run. I'm planning on some anti-inflamatory before and maybe watching my form. Pay no attention to time and make sure I'm running properly?
  • april1lowe
    Options
    It could be your diet too, if anything changed. I am a massage therapist. FInd a therapist that works with runners already or has a lot of experience. I work with alot of runners. You can massage your own body around your knees and it will help the muscles, tendons etc loosen up and feel better. Maybe take a detoxing hot bath. you can use epsom salt or I have a product that is made from Dead Sea Salts and is stronger. but if you can't find dead sea salt soak, use epsom. I agree with rybo too. It could be a bit of an infection in your body. they can settle in the joint area. Mine hurt regularly but my knees crunch really bad from a few skiing accidents and car accident. Hope this helps

Hmmm diet?? Well, that is a recent change! I have been on MFP for almost a year and eating pretty healthy but still a lot of processed. About a month ago I ditched processed. Not totally, but cut it wayyyyy down. 80/20-90/10 lifestyle. I'm buying my meats from local farms and sticking to produce, beans, nuts and seeds. OMG! WAIT! I've cut dairy back, basically OUT. I've been drinking almond or soy milk. I mean the past few days I've been cheating and eating an oz of cheese but that was a big change in my diet for sure! Would dairy have something to do with it? I'll take ya up on the bath!! LOL I have a 2 year old and am a full time student all while planning my wedding! A bath and a cold beer?? LOL empty calories and all! HAHAHA
  • mrsscuff
    Options
    Maybe back off and make sure there is a non running day between running days? I never run two days in a row. You still might want to check the shoes though. Do you strength train at all? Or maybe some yoga? Had a friend (non-runner) complain about feeling wiped out and suggested he give himself at least one day a week off from exercise. It did the trick. I always have one day that is yoga only. Now, if you figure this out, maybe you can help me figure out why my left knee only hurts after a long walk, but running is a breeze. Even after a 1/2 it doesn't hurt. Only if I walk. Go figure!
  • april1lowe
    Options
    Maybe back off and make sure there is a non running day between running days? I never run two days in a row. You still might want to check the shoes though. Do you strength train at all? Or maybe some yoga? Had a friend (non-runner) complain about feeling wiped out and suggested he give himself at least one day a week off from exercise. It did the trick. I always have one day that is yoga only. Now, if you figure this out, maybe you can help me figure out why my left knee only hurts after a long walk, but running is a breeze. Even after a 1/2 it doesn't hurt. Only if I walk. Go figure!

I do have off days. I go to school full time and needed a filler class so I take aerobics. This isn't no Jane Fonda type class though LOL we do dancing, Taebo type moves, Insanity type moves, weights, gliders, circuit, etc. We do SO many different workouts and I love it! So here is what my schedule has been....

Mon- aerobics class (hour long workout)
    Tue- run (2 miles shorter then long run) + Shred at night
    Wed- aerobics class (hour long workout)
    Thurs- run (2 miles shorther then long run) + Shred at night
    Fri- Short run (2-3 miles) + Shred at night
    Saturday- Long run. This week will be 7 miles, every week goes up 1 mile
    Sunday- REST, no workout

My aerobics teacher suggested cutting out Shred and only doing my running and her class obviously. Now on Fri my Hal Higdons schedule says to run OR cross. Maybe I should cross that day allowing my legs the rest they need for the long run?
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Lots of personal trainers don't like running, but if you run with proper form and the right shoes, you have no more chance of hurting your joints that for any other sport....that being said, you should definitely switch the optional run day to a cross or even stretching day until you figure out what is going on. You don't want to injure yourself and not be able to do the training. I would also recommend cutting out Shred, except maybe once a week.

I am using the same program and am on Week 2, so far so good. I was having some pretty significant hip pain, and after ruling out some physical defect, started taking glucosamine...after about 3 weeks of taking it daily I have no joint pain at all! Good luck with your training!
  • adhillman01
    Options
    Is the Shred new for you? When I was running and doing the Shred I experienced a lot of knee pain that I had never had before, and haven't had since I quit doing it. It may be that, I think the Shred is hard on joints for some reason, especially if your form is off for things like the squats and lunges.
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I am a Personal Trainer and a runner, so no bias against running here!

Do you need new runners? They need to be turned over pretty regularly when you are doing any significant mileage and can be the culprits in joint pain.

Are you stretching after your runs? It is very important to stretch while the muscles and tendons are warm.

No dairy in your diet may have something to do with the aches as you need the calcium to assist with recovery. Magnesium is also very important to help muscles and joints recover.

Just a couple of things for you to consider.

Best of luck with it.

Donna
  • april1lowe
    Options
    Lots of personal trainers don't like running, but if you run with proper form and the right shoes, you have no more chance of hurting your joints that for any other sport....that being said, you should definitely switch the optional run day to a cross or even stretching day until you figure out what is going on. You don't want to injure yourself and not be able to do the training. I would also recommend cutting out Shred, except maybe once a week.

I am using the same program and am on Week 2, so far so good. I was having some pretty significant hip pain, and after ruling out some physical defect, started taking glucosamine...after about 3 weeks of taking it daily I have no joint pain at all! Good luck with your training!

That was going to be my approach :) I was thinking time to boot Shred. Sucks because I love it so much but I will get my cross training on Mon and Wed at school then I think I will do Yoga on Friday for my cross training instead of running :)

I agree though, when running properly there should be no injury! I may be doing too much. Shred is high impact so maybe it's just too much right now.
  • april1lowe
    Options
    Is the Shred new for you? When I was running and doing the Shred I experienced a lot of knee pain that I had never had before, and haven't had since I quit doing it. It may be that, I think the Shred is hard on joints for some reason, especially if your form is off for things like the squats and lunges.

Ohhh no LOL Shred and I have a love affair. When I first started this weight loss journey I started with Shred and walking. Walking progressed to running. That has been my approach the whole time till this semester. I added in my aerobics class and now the half training. But I think taking out Shred will def be my first approach. It is really hard on the knees! When I first started loosing wieght it benched me for 2 weeks because of my knees. That is the only problem I've had from my knees though till now.
  • april1lowe
    Options
    Hi there,

I am a Personal Trainer and a runner, so no bias against running here!

Do you need new runners? They need to be turned over pretty regularly when you are doing any significant mileage and can be the culprits in joint pain.

Are you stretching after your runs? It is very important to stretch while the muscles and tendons are warm.

No dairy in your diet may have something to do with the aches as you need the calcium to assist with recovery. Magnesium is also very important to help muscles and joints recover.

Just a couple of things for you to consider.

Best of luck with it.

Donna

Oh thank goodness!!! A trainer who doesn't hate running LOL!!!! You're my new BFF!! ;) I have never been one to stretch but since feeling these aches I have been adding a little bit of stretching after my run. I do almond or soy milk now, is that still not enough calcium? I also take calcium supplements though. I take Fish oil, Calcium with Vit D, Multivitamin, Probiotic, and Vitamin C. I bought my Reebok Realflex Dec 29, they're pretty new and wonderful. I love them.
  • mrsscuff
    Options
    Get your hands on X Stretch from P90X. It's an hour long and I noticed a huge difference in my flexibility. It even improved my husband's golf swing!