do you need a "special" shoe to strength train???

Options
Hey guys, I am looking to buy a new pair of shoes and I am not sure which route to go. I currently have the nike free run, which i LOVE!! but i am currently doing more strength training then I am running. I was wondering if a plain running shoe is good enough for strength training, or if i should just get a training shoe and use them for the run i do twice a week. Also if you have a favorite nike shoe, let me know:)))

Replies

• unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    no. You just need a good shoe with good support.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I am looking to buy a new pair of shoes and I am not sure which route to go. I currently have the nike free run, which i LOVE!! but i am currently doing more strength training then I am running. I was wondering if a plain running shoe is good enough for strength training, or if i should just get a training shoe and use them for the run i do twice a week. Also if you have a favorite nike shoe, let me know:)))

I do everything as close to barefoot as possible. Barefoot, Vibram fivefingers, merrell trail gloves.

I only wear traditional shoes with suits or when steel toed shoes are required

I've never had any issues weight training or otherwise.
  • Luthorcrow
    Options
    For most people as close to barefoot as possible is best. They do make special weight lifting shoes but they are only for people lifting at a seriously heavy power lifting level. Most people would be off with either bare feet, five fingers or the long time favorite a pair of Converse Chuck Taylors.

What do you not want are shoes with a lot of arch support of thick running soles. Once you start squatting heavy the squishy soul will throw you off.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Vibram fivefingers

Are those comfy?
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Vibram fivefingers

Are those comfy?
    They take a bit of getting used to, but they are incredible.

It took me about 2 months to get to where I could wear them all the time. But, my foot pain is mostly gone, and my balance and foot flexibility is way, way better.
  • chickenmcv
    Options
    Realistically, unless you are going heavy on deadlifts, squats, cleans, or the like, don't worry about it. Just wear what you're wearing. If you really want to, get a pair of chucks for 10 bucks at payless, but most people aren't doing the types of lifts that require special shoes. I kick my shoes off when I'm doing deadlifts or squats or cleans and am nearing my max, but other than that, I really just wear my running shoes. Don't worry too much about it.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the reason serious lifters go barefoot or with flat shoes is because running shoes naturally have a higher heel, so your feet tilt forward. When performing a big lift like the deadlift, you need to be able to drive down through your heels, which you can do in running shoes, but it's a lot easier with flat shoes or barefoot. You also don't run the risk of tilting forward during a lift due to the heel of the shoe being elevated. So, once again, if you're looking to push some real heavy weight, get a pair of chucks or vans, otherwise, you don't need to spend a ton of money.

One more tip you might want to try. If you are going to go heavy and don't feel like taking off your shoes or buying flat shoes,try sticking a 2.5 pound weight underneath your toes while performing this lift. This will balance you out and the problem is solved. This is also very helpful for beginners because it teaches you to drive through the heel since you are basically forced to do so.

Happy lifting!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    So if we are doing powerlifting, then what kind of shoes would be needed? I'm doing Starting Strength and approaching my body weight for deadlifts. I've been doing this in socks or bare feet at home.

ETA: Ah, I see where Chucks and Vans were mentioned for heavy lifting.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    One more tip you might want to try. If you are going to go heavy and don't feel like taking off your shoes or buying flat shoes,try sticking a 2.5 pound weight underneath your toes while performing this lift. This will balance you out and the problem is solved. This is also very helpful for beginners because it teaches you to drive through the heel since you are basically forced to do so.

Got a reference for this? Purpose-made weight lifting shoes actually have a raised heel, so it seems to follow that if you were going to stand on weight plates, you would put them under the heel, not the toe. And I think in NROL4W it is suggested to do just this for squats.

I always heard of Chucks being recommended, because the soles don't compress, so that's what I've been using. But on the Starting Strength forum, the experienced people all seem to strongly recommend a pair of weight lifting shoes. I will probably get a pair soon. This is a central part of my life, so it's worth the investment.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    No special shoes are required for your basic strength training. Only power lifters would want to look into investing into lifting shoes. Anything from bare feet to regular running shoes and everything else will be fine. As long as you are comfortable is what will matter here.
  • chickenmcv
    Options

Got a reference for this? Purpose-made weight lifting shoes actually have a raised heel, so it seems to follow that if you were going to stand on weight plates, you would put them under the heel, not the toe. And I think in NROL4W it is suggested to do just this for squats.

I always heard of Chucks being recommended, because the soles don't compress, so that's what I've been using. But on the Starting Strength forum, the experienced people all seem to strongly recommend a pair of weight lifting shoes. I will probably get a pair soon. This is a central part of my life, so it's worth the investment.

There are a few different reasons people will use a raised heel while doing squats. I honestly would not recommend it to beginners. The form is hard enough to master and I would consider that to be a pretty advanced necessity. There's a great article on squats with raised heels here:

http://www.davedraper.com/squatting-with-raised-heels.html

Personally, I don't think most people will reach the level where they will feel something like that is necessary, but hey, to each their own! If you feel like it's going to work better for you, go for it.

I don't have a reference on the weight under the toes, unfortunately. Just something I've picked up along my travels that I thought I would pass on.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

I always heard of Chucks being recommended, because the soles don't compress, so that's what I've been using. But on the Starting Strength forum, the experienced people all seem to strongly recommend a pair of weight lifting shoes.

I saw this on the SS forum too... guess I'll keep investigating further into the brands they use. For now, I'll just do it barefoot.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Another vote for chucks. I'd like to eventually get some proper Weightlifting shoes (Rogue Do-Wins are highly recommended so I hear), but until then Chucks are great. A lot of the minimalist shoes work well also because of the non-compressible sole.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Vibram fivefingers

Are those comfy?
    They take a bit of getting used to, but they are incredible.

It took me about 2 months to get to where I could wear them all the time. But, my foot pain is mostly gone, and my balance and foot flexibility is way, way better.

Thanks for your answer!
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I go barefoot (if lifting at home) or in VFFs (at gym). VFFs were super comfy for me, but I am from a culture that is barefoot or in socks at home, so foot pain wasn't as much of a barrier as it might be if you are part of a culture that wears shoes indoors.
  • gollyitsmolly
    Options
    Cross trainers. running shoes would be too flexible and not provide any lateral or ankle support. Nike also make a free trainer that is exactly for this purpose.

You could get away with running in them for a short period or some sprints but I would stick to your frees for anything past 20 minutes.
  • Marks281172
    Marks281172 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You can get olympic lifting shoes with a wooden heal that help transfer force through the heal into the floor (mine are Adidas Ironworks IIIs, dont use them very often but when i am doing some speed work and doing powercleans they are nice to have) and most powerlifters (including myself) use (or used in my case) something like converse all stars or chucks as they are nice and flat but for average gym lifting id say just a good comfortable pair of regular traning shoes is fine. You certainly dont need special footwear for machines/cables/dumbell bench work.

if you are squatting/deadlifting then just kick them off and hope your socks arent too cheesy :)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Trainers are fine. I'd dead lift 300kg myself, squat 200kg and leg press 550kg all in a pair of Nike Air Max. In fact, all of my training is done in the trusty Nike's.
  • Marks281172
    Marks281172 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Blimey you should be competing in PL Matt... massive numbers for someone as ripped as you look in that photo, last time i pulled 300kg i was over 300lbs and as big as a small familiy home with double garage :)
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Blimey you should be competing in PL Matt... massive numbers for someone as ripped as you look in that photo, last time i pulled 300kg i was over 300lbs and as big as a small familiy home with double garage :)

I prefer BBing - PLing is too much stress on my old joints my friend - mess up slightly on a 300kg lift and you are gonna know about it! Bear in mind I'm also 6' 2" and 260lb so carry a lot natural leg drive due to big quads/hams which I've always had.

Ps - I'm talking about 1 rep maxes, doing that for reps would put me among the strongest men in the UK :bigsmile:
  • lashleyrivera
    Options
    Thank u all for the responses! So much input, I'm going to put a few pairs of.shoes to the test!