Food allergies

Options
Anyone here with food allergies? I have allergies to dairy and eggs... I found this out a few years ago but have not restricted them as I should have, but now I'm dealing with some other health issues as a result of this! Would love to have some friends here with allergies, or if anyone has any go-to foods that they can suggest, that would be great! :happy:

The hardest thing for me will be yogurt and cheese. I did successfully cut out regular milk and have been using almond milk for the past 3 years. I have previously tried coconut milk yogurt, and that was an ok alternative. However, soy cheese is awful! Anyone else have suggestions?

Replies

• Try goat cheese. You may have to hunt for a retailer who carries goat cheddar or goat butter but they are worth the search. It is a little strong tasting but you get used to it. Goat yogurt is good, especially the strawberry and blueberry flavors.
  • carlaunderconstruction
    Options
    With your dairy allergy, is it casein (protein), or lactose (sugar) that you are allergic to? I am allergic to casein in regular dairy products, but I am able to tolerate goat products. I was also unaware of my dairy allergy until I was an adult, and it wasn't until last spring that I started to take it seriously (due to health complications). Goat feta is really good, and you can make your own yogurt with goat milk. Not so much recently, but I have replaced my yogurt consumption in the past with soft tofu, or dessert tofu.
    I recently discovered that I am also allergic to sulphites, and I am finding that very challenging, but it is just more of an incentive to eat clean.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I discovered my dairy allergy last year, and find I can only/still tolerate Greek yogurt. I love cashew or macadamia cheeses, but a lot of the more processed vgan cheese is loaded with sodium and flours. Almond, hemp and oat milks are great and there's even coconut and almond yogurts.
  • shannonichole
    Options
    I'm allergic to cow milk, goat milk, eggs, shellfish, salmon, strawberries, cantaloupe, barley, pinto beans, almonds, walnuts, chicken, turkey, and oats. I think I'm missing a couple, but you get the point.

Are you intolerant or "epi-pen style allergic"? I'm epi-pen allergic to most of my allergens except the nuts which Benadryl can help me with. How allergic you are can make a huge difference about what can be suggested as alternatives because of cross-contamination of lots of foods.
  • missmamselle
    missmamselle Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Always have had trouble, but taking it seriously now. Have to say that for me nothing can replace cheese.

Haven't made pizza for awhile, but will tonight. I'll make my part w/o cheese.

BTW- I make frozen desserts with chocolate rice/almond milk in my ice cream maker. It's not just like ice cream, but I'm satisfied. The benefits of avoiding dairy outweigh the inconvenience.
  • kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    For 20 years, I had always had milk with breakfast (cereal) and used milk if required in a recipe. I love cheese and ice cream as well. Then, out of no where, I become lactose intolerant - but only for when I had milk. My doctor said it was a mild form so that is why I can still eat cheese, etc. Just yogurt and real milk make me sick.

I was devastated, but switched to the Lactaid brand and it is not bad. I just don't ever drink it by itself as I would milk.
    Also intolerant to the syrups used in fountain sodas and anything with a high caffeine content. So, those were easy to cut out since soda is "bad" and I don't drink coffee..
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    With your dairy allergy, is it casein (protein), or lactose (sugar) that you are allergic to? I am allergic to casein in regular dairy products, but I am able to tolerate goat products. I was also unaware of my dairy allergy until I was an adult, and it wasn't until last spring that I started to take it seriously (due to health complications). Goat feta is really good, and you can make your own yogurt with goat milk. Not so much recently, but I have replaced my yogurt consumption in the past with soft tofu, or dessert tofu.
    I recently discovered that I am also allergic to sulphites, and I am finding that very challenging, but it is just more of an incentive to eat clean.

I'm allergic to both. I've never tried tofu... I'm hesitant, but that's where I'm at, so I'll give it a shot! :happy:
  • krystina_letitia9
    Options
    I discovered my dairy allergy last year, and find I can only/still tolerate Greek yogurt. I love cashew or macadamia cheeses, but a lot of the more processed vgan cheese is loaded with sodium and flours. Almond, hemp and oat milks are great and there's even coconut and almond yogurts.

Yummm... I'll have to look for those types of cheeses at my local Co-op! I bet that's something I would enjoy! I DID successfully switch to almond milk when I found out I had the allergy 3ish years ago, and I LOVE it. I haven't actually drank a glass of milk since then (although sometimes I miss it!). I did try to the coconut yogurt, and it wasn't bad... much better than soy yogurts. I've heard there's even more types on the market since I found out about my allergy 3 years ago. I'm going shopping tomorrow so we'll see what I find. Thanks!
  • krystina_letitia9
    Options
    I'm allergic to cow milk, goat milk, eggs, shellfish, salmon, strawberries, cantaloupe, barley, pinto beans, almonds, walnuts, chicken, turkey, and oats. I think I'm missing a couple, but you get the point.

Are you intolerant or "epi-pen style allergic"? I'm epi-pen allergic to most of my allergens except the nuts which Benadryl can help me with. How allergic you are can make a huge difference about what can be suggested as alternatives because of cross-contamination of lots of foods.

That's a lot of foods! I've got more than an intolerance but it's not "epi-pen style allergic"... think a drug allergy when you develop hives. Bad enough where they won't give you the antibiotic ever again but it's not going to put you into an anyphylactic reaction. Certain types of dairy don't give me a reaction at all (cheese, yogurt) so I thought I was ok... however, the health problems I'm dealing with NOW have proved otherwise, and I'm mending a lot slower most likely due to the food allergies my body is also trying to deal with!