To Low Carb or not to Low Carb???

Options
2»

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I tried low carb. I followed it to the letter and I gained 10lbs. I was using ketone strips and drinking tons of water. Once I added carbs back in, I dropped those 10lbs and a few more pretty quickly. I've found that my body loves carbs and functions better when my carb intake is higher.

If it works for you and you can follow it long term, then I say go for it. But, a lot of people get burnt out when trying to follow any kind of restrictive "diet".
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Low Carb is a very vague definition... If you mean you are going to consume 1500 calories per day of beef, bacon, sausage, etc... I would have to say that sounds like a cardiac disaster.

If you mean you are going to consume your calories from a variety of lean protein sources and include plenty of vegetables, that sounds better.

Barring medical necessity, I personally would not subscribe to any nutritional strategy that eliminated fruits or whole grains. Your body needs glucose - in fact, this is the only fuel your brain can utilize. (http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/carbs.html)
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    One question to everyone, "how many carbs is a low carb diet?!?!?!?!"

for me at this point, 25 net is nice but as long as it's under 40 and those carbs came from veg and not frankenfoods, I consider it a good day.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Anything below 100grams and I turn into this...

Zombie_eating_Daryls_deer_crop.jpg
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Still going...not sure where I'm going, just that I'm still going.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    You can eat carbs and become insulin sensitive with a 12-18hour daily fast.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Aye!
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    If you can actually stick to it, then go ahead. I find if I go a few days attempting [see how I say 'attempting', never lasts, give me my tasty food! I'm not that much of a meat eater really] low carb I feel disgusting. I can't eat that much meat & that little fruits or veg...I just feel all greasy & icky inside. I also end up getting like no fiber when I'm giving it a go...I just end up going back to counting my calories, not my carbs.

Exactly how I feel. Low carb leaves me constipated, spotty and miserable!
  • Anathama
    Anathama Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm doing primal. been on it 6 weeks, lost 30 lbs and I'm loving it.
  • realsolarina
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight on low carb, and actually didn't mind it as I'm a big meat eater and was happy to eat chicken and green veg every day lol. However, now I'm married and living with my family, rather than alone and therefore in total control of the content of the fridge, I find it almost impossible to maintain the strict discipline needed.

If carbs are in the house, I eat them - a sort of carboholic - and so I'm using MFP to build a healthy level of carbs in. However, I try and eat most of them early in the day, eat things like oats and other good carbs rather than crap like refined sugar, white bread etc and certainly don't go anywhere near the carb target set on here!

The thing I found with low carb is that if you fall off the wagon, your body seems to whoosh back up in weight - one minute you're eating a relatively high fat diet with no carbs, then you mix in a load of carbs and you have the perfect weight gain mix of fat and carbs :(
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I have done this before with great sucess....
    Anyone else have big success? Any good recipes? How do you feel about low carb diets?

IMO any changes to your diet that you make whilst trying to lose weight should be sustainable in the long term. If you can do low carb forever then that's great. But I have found many people say they couldn't stick to it, and they gain the weight back. Guess it comes down to discipline and even personal preferences for foods. I like carbs way too much to do it.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Here is the thing with low carb. People who are over weight are more sensitive to insulin. Once people lose weight they aren't as sensitive to it.

Hilarious. You have this exactly backwards.

You need to stop now. It's clear you don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about when it comes to human physiology.