It's not even 10am and I'm over my limit on Sugars???

Options
So it's not even 10am here. I've had 1 cup of coffee with some creamer (my weakness), and 1 banana. I've been up since about 5:30 this morning and have been to the ER with my kiddo who has a bad ear infection. I come home thinking, "Ok, so I only had 1 cup as opposed to normal 2-3 cups of coffee, so I'm having a banana" I'm exhausted and it was something quick to grab. But according to my numbers, I'm already 8 over on sugars. I know the creamer isn't good - I always got Fat Free, so I'm using that up before opening my Sugar Free. But REALLY? I know that I won't make it through with no more sugars today. Why does this not seem right to me?

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Are you suffering from a metabolic syndrome, like Diabetes or PCOS? If you aren't, then it makes no difference how much sugar you eat.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I don't even track sugar. It's just depressing. Plus it's already included in the total carbohydrates anyway.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Maybe the particular banana or creamer entry from the database had the wrong value for sugar. Compare it with other similar entries.

One day my fat was inordinately high and I figured out one of the entries had put 100 grams of fat when the right value was 10 grams.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    i dont track sugar, i was always way over because of fruit. So long as my sugar comes largely from fruits, i am not at all concerned with it.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about sugar intake, make sure you keep the big picture in mind. Going over on one day will not make or break you. Have a look at your weekly summary or look back at your diary to see if this is a recurring trend for you.
  • andforpoise
    Options
    Fruits have a lot of sugar - but it's the good kind (natural). If you're worried about sugar intake, just cut down on the things with the artificial stuff. Your creamer probably has natural sugars in it too (dairy products also tend to be higher, I've noticed). I wouldn't be overly concerned!

Good luck!!
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your goal is, but I set my sugar goal to 55 grams, and my wife says I shouldn't really even count naturally-occurring sugars, unless I'm going overboard on fruit. At 55g, that includes barely any added sugars - maybe only in my granola or something.
  • GoinOrganic
    GoinOrganic Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I believe the 'sugars' are for ADDED sugar, and concentrated sugars (like fruit juice even with only natural sugar). Natural sugar in fruit, veggies etc are 'ok' sugars... so even though MFP tracks all sugar intake, look at it, and if you have NO added sugar in any form, sugar,added fructose sugar as a sweetner, and in my opinion all sugar substitutes except stevia, than you're ok...
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I don't pay attention to my sugar intake, and had no problem losing the weight or maintaining it now.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There is NO SUCH THING as "good sugar" or "bad sugar." All sugars are the same on molecular level, and your body doesn't recognize a difference between refined sucrose that you added into your coffee, or the sucrose that's naturally in an orange. It just sees sucrose, glucose, fructose, galactose, maltose, lactose, etc, and digests them. The source they come from doesn't matter. Sugar is sugar, and like I mentioned earlier, unless you have a metabolic condition that requires limiting sugar, it's irrelevant how much you eat.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I am going about this the right way, but anymore I do not worry about fruit or vegetable sugars (yes sugar in veggies!) because that is a naturally occurring sugar. I do however really try to watch processed sugars (sugars in crackers, cereals, breads, etc) Also yogurt. I quit eating the 'flavored' yogurts because some had 15+ grams of sugar per tiny cup and you know that's not all 'natural'. Some dairy however does have naturally occurring sugar but I don't believe that's the case with most flavored yogurts, its likely almost all processed/added sugar.
  • hopefloatsup
    hopefloatsup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel a bit better now ;) I don't have any reason to watch my sugars closely, so I will just watch the "added" sugars close instead.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    So it's not even 10am here. I've had 1 cup of coffee with some creamer (my weakness), and 1 banana. I've been up since about 5:30 this morning and have been to the ER with my kiddo who has a bad ear infection. I come home thinking, "Ok, so I only had 1 cup as opposed to normal 2-3 cups of coffee, so I'm having a banana" I'm exhausted and it was something quick to grab. But according to my numbers, I'm already 8 over on sugars. I know the creamer isn't good - I always got Fat Free, so I'm using that up before opening my Sugar Free. But REALLY? I know that I won't make it through with no more sugars today. Why does this not seem right to me?

I know what you mean. I'm already 18 g over my "target." Now that will be decreasing because I haven't gotten on my treadmill this morning or gone for a daily walk of more than a couple of miles. It's not just the sugar that I directly put into my coffee this morning, its everything else that has sugar buried in it. I've checked most of the things that list sugar in the database and they generally have it correct. The target is just that, and it moves as you add exercise.

Unless you have a medical condition that really requires close attention to sugars, don't fret. Just don't overdo it either (making a huge portion of your calorie intake strictly sugar). It may be more important about what form of sugar you are taking in (e.g., fructose versus sucrose).
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    There is NO SUCH THING as "good sugar" or "bad sugar." All sugars are the same on molecular level, and your body doesn't recognize a difference between refined sucrose that you added into your coffee, or the sucrose that's naturally in an orange. It just sees sucrose, glucose, fructose, galactose, maltose, lactose, etc, and digests them. The source they come from doesn't matter. Sugar is sugar, and like I mentioned earlier, unless you have a metabolic condition that requires limiting sugar, it's irrelevant how much you eat.

I agree with this except the last part--I don't think it's irrelevant--I think limiting all forms of sugar will help prevent developing glucose intolerance and diabetes, and that is why I follow South Beach.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I'm always over on my sugar, I attempted to watch it for a while but it's really just impossible. If I ever eat a fruit it always puts me over, seems silly to me if I were to cut the fruits out of my diet because of the sugar content so I was like eh screw the sugar stuff
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I track sugar, 5 days out of the week I allow myself to go over so I can include fruit in my diet and some treats. I make sure to stay under my goal 2 days a week and haven't had any issues maintaining my weight.
  • cmhickey616
    cmhickey616 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It depends really how much was from the creamer. If that was the majority then make sure the rest of your sugar today is from fruit. If the majority is from the banana then just don't worry about it. Unless you are a diabetic, sugar from fruit really doesn't count.
  • katieek23
    Options
    bananas have a lot of sugar but it is healthy sugar and when i eat fruit i basically don't count the sugar from them because it's not added sugar, it's natural.
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If your diabetic, sugar is a big thing.
  • alauriab
    alauriab Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The reason it is high is becasue the creamers ( esp fat free ) use high fructose corn syrup and a serving size on a banana is 1/2 of a regular sized fruit because their sugar levels are so high. So eating a whole one is really 2 servings of fruit.
    Regular milk is a better choice than creamers( esp. the processed ones) and a banana is the sweetest fruit you could have chosen as far as sugar content goes. I do track my sugar - it's really important, as is awareness of the sugars that get "snuck in" like the ones in your creamer.