Throwing the Scale Away...NSV...

Options
Ok, so I'm throw my scale out...it HAS to be wrong (it is a digital scale that went through an international move, so I think it needs to be recalibrated!) It says I haven't lost a kilo/2.2 pounds in 2 weeks!!!

I have been VERY faithful, good, etc!!! I took my measurements and I am down 2" in my chest, 1.5" in my waist and 2" in my hips.

Now I know this is not because I'm working out, cuz I'm not YET because of medical reasons.

My clothes are fitting looser and I can definitely feel the lose...but that dang scale....

I VOW TO NOT WEIGH MYSELF FOR A MONTH....(only at medical and hospital visits...can't help that)

Replies

• Nazinga
    Options
    You could of only lost 2.2 lbs but also lost a lot in inches, do u also take measurements
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'm on a break from the scale right now too. Since Jan I have lost 8 lbs (not a whole lot) but 2 dress sizes. The scale bounces back and forth between a couple lbs and it irritates me, so we're parting ways for a couple weeks. In a way I think it's good to focus on something other than that cranky little device on the bathroom floor!
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I also hate the scale!! I am working soo hard right now and reshaping my body. MY shape shows difference, and my core is so much tighter, but the scale is not reflecting this change at all!! I only use the scale at the gym (I don't own one)

Be happy with your achievements!! You have earned them!!! Great inches loss!!
  • EAGINOCCHIO
    Options
    Actually, it says I DIDN'T lose any weight for 2 weeks...know it has to be wrong...
  • jessjayla
    Options
    I find the scale to be discouraging so i try not to step on it to often. I feel a difference so that is all that matters to me :) Great job on losing the inches!
  • needtolose50lbs
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have 3 scales in my house and they all have different weights for me, so I just go with the highest weight. Annoying.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau and was at odds with the scale. Then I re-evaluated my eating habits. I found that my carb to protein ratio wasn't in my favor. When I used the MFP guided goal thing, I wasn't getting nearly enough protein and way too many carbs. I'm in NO WAY advocating an Atkins-like diet. No no no. The body NEEDS carbs. I just don't think that it needs as much as MFP was suggesting. :)

I went by the "1 gram of protein for each pound you currently weigh" rule and used that as a suggestion. I think MFP had me at something like 40 grams and I bumped it up to closer to 125. It should be closer to 150 grams for me, but that's a LOT more protein than I can fit in. Since doing so, I got the scale to move again. :)
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Scales are virtually useless as a measure of progress! Judge your fitness by the hang of your clothes and how you look in the mirror. Remember - WEIGHT LOSS IS NOT THE GOAL! FAT LOSS IS THE GOAL!

You could have lost 2 lbs of fat and gained 2 lbs of muscle - the scale does not recognize this. Also realize that maybe you weighed yourself after a day where you ate very little, and maybe you were a little dehydrated. The next time you weighed, you could have had a liter of water (2 lbs) or a full stomach. For someone who weighs 150lbs, for example, 2 lbs is only a 1.5% margin of error.
  • abutterflyemerges
    abutterflyemerges Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I'm throw my scale out...it HAS to be wrong (it is a digital scale that went through an international move, so I think it needs to be recalibrated!) It says I haven't lost a kilo/2.2 pounds in 2 weeks!!!

I have been VERY faithful, good, etc!!! I took my measurements and I am down 2" in my chest, 1.5" in my waist and 2" in my hips.

Now I know this is not because I'm working out, cuz I'm not YET because of medical reasons.

My clothes are fitting looser and I can definitely feel the lose...but that dang scale....

I VOW TO NOT WEIGH MYSELF FOR A MONTH....(only at medical and hospital visits...can't help that)

So I had the same problem with my scale not moving or moving up when I have been doing everything right and guess what i found out....My scale is new first of all. But if you weigh your self on a floor that creeks like woods or carpet or vinyl flooring basically a floor that is not too stable anyways I tested this out and found out that if I weight myself in different parts of the house I get a different weight. So went outside on the concrete and weighed myself and wouldnt you know it, I weighed much less. When i went to the doctors they told me make sure your floor is stable or hard when weighing yourself to get accurate weight. Not sure if that will help you. Oh and I always weigh myself in the mornings and not any other time.
  • mkmfrog
    mkmfrog Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your "INCHES LOSS!"

I haven't weighed myself since December 1, 2011. I had a Body Pod analysis done which detailed my body fat and lean muscle percentage. I have another Body Pod analysis scheduled for February 25, next Saturday. I have been on a 3 month journey to lose fat and gain muscle. Of course, actual weight loss will be a bonus, but that is not my intended goal. And no, I am not some fanatic fitness chick. Just a 44-yr old gal striving to be fit and healthy.

For women, the scale is "Satan's Little Helper". Nothing messes with a woman's mind more when she is trying to lose weight/get healthy than that the scale. And yet, many continue to step on it every day....celebrate a loss one day, only to be upset by a gain the next.

Even measurements can be skewed due to bloating. So when I do measure myself, I make sure it is on a day when I don't feel/look as bloated...usually the day after a good cardio workout and low sodium intake.

Yeah! on your decision to put the scale away!!!
  • Veganbambina
    Veganbambina Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I hate the scale. I'm not going to weigh anymore, I'm gong to measure instead. The scale doesn't move and I KNOW i've lost as all my clothes are falling off of me! I even have saggy bum in all my yoga pants! It's very discouraging to not see it move so I'm not doing it any more. I've never been a 'weigher' anyways, I know how I'm progressing by how my clothes fit.
  • EAGINOCCHIO
    Options
    Thanks, I eat WAY more protein than MFP suggests and limit my carbs to basically veggies, and maybe 3-4 x a week a "bread/potato" serving. For example, yesterday's menu, and this is typical for me...and I was 36 calories under my 1200!

Breakfast, weight watcher's breakfast quesadilla, 2 cups coffee with splenda and fat free half/half. Snack 1/2 cup lupini beans, turkey burger (homemade) 91/9 with 1/2 tsp horseradish cream and 1/2 tsp of spicy mustard, onion roll. Snack 1/2 cup lupini beans, dinner 6 oz of skinless chicken breast, 1/2 cup of lima beans and large romaine lettuce with shredded celery and home made o/v dressing (1 tbsp). Dessert was fresh strawberries and 1/4 cup of low fat ricotta cheese (with a teaspoon of splenda and splash of vanilla) This is typical for me..I weight and measure EVERYTHING!!!

So no more scale, at least not for a bit. I'm having surgery on the 28th and will weigh myself 2 weeks after...let the swelling and stuff go down...
    I hit a plateau and was at odds with the scale. Then I re-evaluated my eating habits. I found that my carb to protein ratio wasn't in my favor. When I used the MFP guided goal thing, I wasn't getting nearly enough protein and way too many carbs. I'm in NO WAY advocating an Atkins-like diet. No no no. The body NEEDS carbs. I just don't think that it needs as much as MFP was suggesting. :)

I went by the "1 gram of protein for each pound you currently weigh" rule and used that as a suggestion. I think MFP had me at something like 40 grams and I bumped it up to closer to 125. It should be closer to 150 grams for me, but that's a LOT more protein than I can fit in. Since doing so, I got the scale to move again. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!