Can I do/eat anything to make my skin shrink too?

Options
My weight is dropping off and I can feel that my muscles are increasing, but I can already notice some excess skin around my belly which I really hate. I'm not going to be losing a huge amount in the scheme of things (around 20lbs is my goal, I'm down 5 so far) but if there are things I can start doing now to help my skin shrink, I'd really love to know about it.

I'm wondering if there might be dietary supplements that are good for this sort of thing? Or certain foods to eat/avoid? Or maybe I just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best. Either way, let me know.

Replies

• stephaniethomas80
    stephaniethomas80 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    as far as I know there isn't anything you can do about excess skin without surgery, generally you only get alot of excess skin if you lose weight really fast
  • aniwani
    aniwani Posts: 110
    Options
    You might try taking some vitamin E as well as popping the gel capsules and rubbing it on your stomach. E- helps with the generation of skin cells. Don't over do it though as E is fat soluble, so too much can become toxic to your body. Take 1-2 pills a night and use as much as u want directly applied to your skin. You might try coco butter as well but time is really the best thing your skin will adjust to the weight loss much faster the younger you are but its more difficult/ takes a little longer the older you are. Good Luck!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Some say that dry brushing the skin can help, others swear by Vitamin E. It mainly comes down to genetics, age and other factors such as smoking.
  • mikaela_b
    Options
    Thanks, I'll give vitamin E a go and see if it helps. I'm 30 and a non-smoker, so hopefully it'll bounce back eventually!
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Yup, there is a solution that would prevent that : don't lose weight too quickly, the time for the skin to get back by itself.
    Also, make you provide your don't have any deficiency, that would even make the process faster.
    I did cardio, you could try "tonus" stuff, in fact every sport that involves a lot of muscles
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Over the years i have lost around 120lbs and dont have any loose skin and even when my weight goes up round xmas, im bigger but im taut and thats EXERCISE. True - losing a lot of weight fast will lead to saggy or excess skin but honestly the best thing is running, strength training and proper stretching. I promise you if you incorporate exercise instead of just dieting without any extra exercise, you will tighten up and not have saggy skin. Plus you lose inches even when sometimes you have a week of plateau.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    My weight is dropping off and I can feel that my muscles are increasing, but I can already notice some excess skin around my belly which I really hate. I'm not going to be losing a huge amount in the scheme of things (around 20lbs is my goal, I'm down 5 so far) but if there are things I can start doing now to help my skin shrink, I'd really love to know about it.

I'm wondering if there might be dietary supplements that are good for this sort of thing? Or certain foods to eat/avoid? Or maybe I just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best. Either way, let me know.

The excess skin gradually, over time, shrinks back unless somebody were really obese and by that I mean extremely large, then it is a different matter. Just make sure you moisturise (that will not make it shrink back any faster btw) so that your skin does not become all dried out and flaky.
  • mikaela_b
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, I'm learning lots from this thread. I am exercising - 30DS every day without fail, plus I'm doing extra cardio as well (mostly walking around 40 mins a day, very briskly so that I'm pouring with sweat by the end). So hopefully that will count in my favour too.

I've just bought some Vit E, so I will report back in a few weeks about if I've noticed a difference. Oh, and I will moisturise more frequently, I always forget that bit.

Thanks again!
  • Rbmedicrn
    Options
    Thanks for all the info...I too had the same question. Vitamin E, exercise and Cocoa butter it is!!

16339534.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • SparklesPlenty
    SparklesPlenty Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds over 2 years and thanks to being overweight for so long and having 2 pregnancies I have extra skin on my tummy. The only way it will ever go back to being tight is with a tummy tuck. ouch.