have high blood pressure and need some advice

Options
Hi everyone. I have severe high blood pressure and now am in my 5th week of trying to make a change. The first two weeks were great as I lost weight and really started to feel better. But now I am in a slump and I think it might be because of my high blood pressure. I work out 5 times a week and eat fairly well. I quit drinking soda. I have a few cups of coffee a day. I don't take any medications because sadly I was laid off and lost my health insurance.

I'm not giving up because compared to where I was 5 weeks ago I feel great and that's what it's all about.

With that said is there anyone who has high blood pressure that can give me some tips? Things maybe that you found were hindering your progress? Things that helped you get past the weight loss block?

I don't add salt to foods. I don't consume a lot of processed foods. I eat very few sweets.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Replies

• BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are on the right track. Exercise and eat right, get plenty of sleep. You may want to switch to decaff
  • joiselene
    joiselene Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do not have high blood pressure, but have you looked into Kefir (fermented milk drink)? I recently discovered that is has many healthy benefits and remember reading that it helps with high blood pressure. It is very high in probiotics.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have severe high blood pressure and now am in my 5th week of trying to make a change. The first two weeks were great as I lost weight and really started to feel better. But now I am in a slump and I think it might be because of my high blood pressure. I work out 5 times a week and eat fairly well. I quit drinking soda. I have a few cups of coffee a day. I don't take any medications because sadly I was laid off and lost my health insurance.

I'm not giving up because compared to where I was 5 weeks ago I feel great and that's what it's all about.

With that said is there anyone who has high blood pressure that can give me some tips? Things maybe that you found were hindering your progress? Things that helped you get past the weight loss block?

I don't add salt to foods. I don't consume a lot of processed foods. I eat very few sweets.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

hello.
    here are my stats:
    BP on jan and before jan17th. 140/80~
    BP now 110-116/65-75

What i did?

2000 calorie daily deficit.
    Enough nutrients
    Enough proteins
    VERY heavy weightlifting upper/lower body split workout 6days/week
    1hour High intensity Interval cardio
    No salt in any of my foods for 1month(except natural salt that comes from nuts, meats etc.)

1 month after:
    16lbs of fat lost.
    Perfect Blood pressure.

Try to lose the taste for salty foods. You will find out later how salt is not tasty at all, and you will appreciate real taste of foods, for example grilled steak without salt is yummy
  • angelcop74
    angelcop74 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Join my group! I know we need alot of extra help and advice, and we need to help each other out! :)http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3604-hypertension-kick-punch