women trying to lean out with strength...how much cardio?

Options

Replies

• EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I am trying to gain muscle with minimal fat gains and this is my plan, if it's of any help...

Monday
    10k training (60 mins)

Tuesday
    Abs circuit (30 mins)
    Upper body heavy lifting (15 mins)

Wednesday
    Rest

Thursday
    Legs circuits (20 mins)
    Upper body heavy lifting (10 mins)

Friday
    Abs circuit (30 mins)
    Sprints (15 mins)

Saturday
    Yoga (90 mins)

Sunday
    Back and bum circuit (30 mins)
    Upper body heavy lifting (15 mins)

I see that you dont hit the weightlifting everyday, which is good.

To gain muscle you should eat 500 calories over your daily expenditure.
    Eat enough protein for yourself. Eat fats (30% of total calorie intake"hemp oil", "flaxseed oil" , they have good ratio of omega3:omega6.) - this is good for your heart.

10 minutes lifting is definately not enough. You should eat pre-workout meal.
    To workout every muscle group on upper body it will usualy take 45 minutes.
    Give yourself 3min rest between each set minimum.

do not do less than 3 sets of 8rep max. if you can do more than 8 reps, then increase weight by 10% until you reach 8 reps.

Dont forget about back muscles, do chinups or assisted chinups if needed. for lattisimus dorsi.

Eat well! and spend more time weightlifting is definately going to help. Eat enough protein.

You should see newbie gains quicker than you think.

046sO.gif
  • Kassieisproud
    Options
    For some odd reason i put on muscle quickly so i have weeks were i do little to not strength some in which i do a lot and some where i do a moderate amount I am constantly looking at myself in the mirror So i go off of that
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I do both cardio and strength 3 days a week each with 1 rest day. I just wasn't seeing the kind of results I wanted to see doing cardio only (for at least a year).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I do cardio because I love running, and because it allows me to eat a lot more food.

I'm recovering from an injury right now, so I can't do as much as I did before, but I aim for 30 minutes of weights and 30 minutes of cardio when I go to the gym, so usually 3-4 times a week. Sometimes exercises at home on the in between days, sometimes a shorter run or longer walk. When I'm fully healed, I'll probably run 3x a week and strength train 3-4x a week.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I'm not very far into the strength yet, but I'm shooting for three days of strength, two days of cardio and two rest days per week. The diet will be important for leaning out too.
  • gollyitsmolly
    Options
    I really like cycling a few weeks of building with less intense cardio/heavier weight fewer reps (shorter duration, less difficult exertion) with a few of less intense strength (ie circuit training or higher reps)/more cardio intensity (hill repeats, sprints, longer sessions). It can be hard to build AND lose fat once you are at a certain point in your training..our bodies are incredibly adaptable. Best of luck!
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    I think there is a lot of time wasted on mediocre exercises like "cutting" with high reps and "ab circuits".

unless you want to spend hours in the gym each week, keep it simple and keep it heavy. this builds muscle. IMHO there is no such thing as toning. You are tearing and building muscle or you are doing cardio (high reps). Building muscle = tone.

bodybuilders might need to work on specific body parts for competitions, for the rest of us, complex multi-muscle exercises are all really all that is needed.

On abs - real lifting will build your core naturally, the majors, deads, squats and pullups do this for you - no need to waste time doing 30 mins of crunches.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I think there is a lot of time wasted on mediocre exercises like "cutting" with high reps and "ab circuits".

unless you want to spend hours in the gym each week, keep it simple and keep it heavy. this builds muscle. IMHO there is no such thing as toning. You are tearing and building muscle or you are doing cardio (high reps). Building muscle = tone.

bodybuilders might need to work on specific body parts for competitions, for the rest of us, complex multi-muscle exercises are all really all that is needed.

On abs - real lifting will build your core naturally, the majors, deads, squats and pullups do this for you - no need to waste time doing 30 mins of crunches.

i so agree with you. Going to add you as friend.
  • ChattyKitten
    ChattyKitten Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I do both! I hit the gym 3 times a week, do 10-20 mins of warm up cardio, do my strength training, then to another 20-30 mins of cardio before stretching :) I think its important to keep it balanced
  • dancingincircles84
    Options
    I go to the gym 3 times a week and do heavy lifting, mainly compound movements that use a lot of muscles like squats. I spend around 40 minutes doing weights and 20 minutes doing HIIT. It's been working really well. I've been able to increase my bench press by 5 pounds a week since I started along with my squats.
  • Jennifer0878
    Jennifer0878 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing "New Rules of Lifting for Women" right now. It's AWESOME! I'm currently lifting (heavy) three days a week. I try to do cardio 2-3 days a week, but I mostly listen to my body. If the thought of exercising makes me cringe (like today), I don't do any cardio. I like to make sure I'm well rested for my lifting days, which include 15-30 minutes of cardio after lifting.

Like others have said, eat well, drink lots of water and lift heavy. Anything else is bonus. :smile:
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    IMO, strictly regarding body composition, if you are eating at a deficit and lifting heavy (and you don't have a specific time frame you need to lose body fat in) you don't really need any cardio at all. If I do any cardio, it's because I want to eat more food.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

This exactly. I haven't done any "ab work" in months.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Hmm, this is making me rethink my routine

I do the same principle each gym session, 3-5 times a week (varying the machines I use)

1-1 hour 20 of cardio, 10-15 minutes of lifting on machines or free weights, followed by 5-10 mins of floorwork

If I don't burn 500calories in the first one hour I feel I have accomplished nothing
  • dorseykm
    dorseykm Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I run 5 days a week for 4-8 miles per run. I'm trying to do strength training for 1 hour per day for 2 days a week.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hmm, this is making me rethink my routine

I do the same principle each gym session, 3-5 times a week (varying the machines I use)

1-1 hour 20 of cardio, 10-15 minutes of lifting on machines or free weights, followed by 5-10 mins of floorwork

If I don't burn 500calories in the first one hour I feel I have accomplished nothing

10-15 mins lifting is a waste of time. Do an hour of cardio after you lift. Add the 20 mins left over to lifting heavy compound weights.

As to your last sentence, that sounds awfully restrictive and quite negative... might want to rethink that as well. Oh, and I hope you're eating to your net.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Man, I'm gettin preachy in my old age.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    i hope im doing the right things...

im doing 4 or so days a week which consist of 3-5 min on the bike... just to get my heart going.

i then move through the weight machines, lifting weight levels that i can only do 6-8 reps of without feeling like im gonna drop the weights. i do two sets of each machine...

then i do kettlebell swings one set of 8 with a 12kg kettlebell, once i feel i can do more than 8 i will go to the next weight.

ive then been doing weighted squats followed by vipr training with a 10kg bar, bicep curls and shoulder presses.

then once a week i might swim, otherwise a bit of just dance or zumba kinect at home.

i try not to do more than 30 minute sessions and alwaus with my HRM.

so far, in two weeks ive taken 44 seconds off of my fitness test time and increased my weights drastically.

i feel stronger, and can already see the muscle when lifting, i also have lost alot of cms.

obviously, ive alot of weight to lose, i also want to be able to do my 5k run on July 1st. i aim to start training for this in about 10 pounds time.

any help or suggestions most welcome!
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options

10-15 mins lifting is a waste of time.
    Not really. If you're new to lifting it's quite enough. I limit my lifting due to hypermobility, I have to be so careful with my ligaments and tendons. You shouldn't pass generic judgements like that.