Panick Attacks and running

Options
2»

Replies

• goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of running. It will ruin you as you age. However, exercise for panic is great. Weight training, resistance training, is wonderful. It is better than drugs. QiGong is also good.
  • Tubby2Toned
    Tubby2Toned Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Periods of anxiety attacks in my own life.
    Things that helped immensely:
    Yoga
    Meditation
    Running
    Exercise in general

And, my diet. I cut out coffee and other caffeine sources and noticed an immediate difference.
    Eating well seemed to help also.

In my case, the more vigorous the exercise, the less anxiety attacks I had.
    The single best exercise I found for anxiety? Boxing fitness.

These are my experiences only. Maybe you can find the workouts that work best for you,and modify your diet if their are things in it that promote excitability (like caffeine).

Good luck! Many of us have been there!
  • janessac
    Options
    Absolutely the worst idea to do physical exercise during panic/anxiety attacks. There is already a huge quantity of adrenaline in your body and you don't want more (even those types of adrenaline are different). You don't want more excitation. Generally speaking at that point you need lack of oxygen until passes and not a surplus. That's a fact.
    What you do after that is a completely different story.
    Edit: ^^ this is definitely right with needing lack of oxygen (not excess)

Exercise during a panic attack actually would be a good idea. Hyperventilation during a panic attack has NOTHING to do with lack of oxygen, but actually a lack of carbon dioxide in your system. When you start hyperventilating, you're expelling more carbon dioxide than your body can produce and it's the lack of carbon dioxide that makes you feel dizzy, numb, tingly, etc.

The huge amounts of endorphins (adrenaline) being released during a panic attack is also what will increase your panic attack symptoms, so by exercising you can calm your body and your hormones down, as well as actually increasing the carbon dioxide in your body from the exercise, making your breathing go back to normal.

As for doing it in the middle of the night, exercise does release a lot of endorphins and will raise your energy levels (although for how long varies from person to person) so you may have even more trouble falling asleep after exercising. I know that after I exercise I'm wide-awake for hours to come. You can try doing it in the middle of the night and see how it fares for you, it might work wonders! Your doctor is definitely on the right track with the exercising, so definitely give it a try. :wink:

*side note: I also suffer from asthma and I've had panic attacks in the past and unless I get up and do something physical, I focus too much on how I "can't breathe" and the panic attack gets worse. And since I've started running, I haven't used a puffer in almost 8 months! Before, I couldn't go half a day without it, so I also speak from personal experience :)
  • sandredee937
    sandredee937 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i have suffered from PA for years also. I dont think i would recomend running during one, and i dont think it would help to stop one, but i do believe if you start to run everyday just as a general practice it would help. the more energy we use day to day, and the more engaged we are in physical activity the less likely we are to panic.. (not to be nasty, but if you have a boyfriend/girlfriend... that kind of daily exercise helps to)
  • nitka653
    nitka653 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

And, my diet. I cut out coffee and other caffeine sources and noticed an immediate difference.

These are my experiences only. Maybe you can find the workouts that work best for you,and modify your diet if their are things in it that promote excitability (like caffeine).

OMG, I actually had an anxiety attack when my counselor recommended I try that as well as the exercises she was teaching me.

Well, I flat out REFUSED to give up my caffeine completely (I am a self-made barista who loves her mochas), but I cut back from multiple quad mocha's a day to one (maybe two) doubles a day. I also completely cut out the energy drinks I would guzzle when I couldn't have a mocha (sometimes even when I did). *** WOW - Now that I'm typing this, I did partake in way too much dang caffeine. ***

Well, to get back to the subject, this helped immensely. I still had some daily attacks, but they were not as strong or often. Eventually I did get on some meds temporarily, but just to help me get centered again so that I can make lifestyle choices that will prevent the anxiety, including exercise.

I am not a runner, have too may foot problems, but I do find a fast walk if or a heavy cardio workout when I'm feeling anxious or stressed really does help.

I am not a doctor or a nurse, only know what my doctor and different health professionals have advised works. We all must consult our own experts -- our bodies -- and then decide what works.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i have suffered from PA's and anxiety disorders (among other things) my entire life. i was also prescribed meds through the years, but nothing worked. in addition, i didn't like the way i felt "all drugged up" and with the help of my therapist, i quit all meds and have been med-free since 2002. that being said, until i started a ROUTINE exercise program, i had a horrible time managing my PA's and anxiety. last august, i joined a gym and i do cardio 6 days per week and weight-lifting about 4/5 days per week. it has made the most drastic difference in my mental state!! i also started a healthy clean-living diet plan where i eat very well (compared to the drive-thru 3000 cal per day way i used to eat!) and i see huge positive differences. i have only had 2 "bad" days in the entire 7 months that i've been exercising. i am more clear-minded, i have not had a single PA, my anxiety is "low" about 99% of the time. i have much more even moods, and i can honestly say that regular routine exercise is the key. if for some reason i can't go to the gym, my whole day is "off." i highly recommend it.

as for running right before or during a PA, i have no idea if that would work for me, but it sounds horrible. i think in my opinion, doing the exercise is more of a way to prevent the attacks to begin with, i honestly don't think it would do much for me during one.

and i agree on the safety (or lack thereof) of running at night alone. if you have a 24-hour gym available with a treadmill, that would be fine, but even on the safest streets, i think running alone is a bad idea in the middle of the night. :smile:
  • Stoonloveskeith
    Stoonloveskeith Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Periods of anxiety attacks in my own life.
    Things that helped immensely:
    Yoga
    Meditation
    Running
    Exercise in general

This!! I have cut out caffeine too, was the best decision I made next to exercise for panic attacks!
  • bekah_ann13
    Options
    Not sure what others have said, but I get panic attacks when my heart begins to race fast (like when I am running) instead of taking it away it triggers my panic attacks. So I am trying to do low impact exercise. Try yoga... but also make sure that you are getting enough vitamins for my panic attacks and anxiety I have to take iron. The iron helps wonders for me. Good luck!
  • missikay1970
    Options
    oh yes and i agree on cutting out caffeine. sorry, but that has been a big key for me, too. cutting out caffeine has helped me sleep so much better (i suffered from insomnia almost my entire life) and now that i exercise and don't drink any caffeine (NONE!) i sleep soundly 8 hours per night. HUGE difference from the 3 or 4 i used to get, and that was on a good night.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    i don't think I could ever run during or after a panic attack, but I have severe attacks. I do find some relief in exercising at home, in my comfort zone. To me, the thought of running too far from home in that state, would be the scariest thing ever. Eveyones anxiety is different though. I do some 30 day shred and get my spirits up and feel a bit better. I tried running at the gym on a bad day and my husband nearly had to carry me out of there.

I would say some form of yoga may also be helpful, or even just meditating. :) --- Exercise is good for depression though, and it should help keep your mood up, and maybe that could help keep the attacks from happening.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    oh and I agree about with all the caffeine posts. I am a full on decaf girl. I go half-calf when I feel a bit wild..lol I drink hot tea in the evening and it's even decaf!
  • missikay1970
    Options
    oh and I agree about with all the caffeine posts. I am a full on decaf girl. I go half-calf when I feel a bit wild..lol I drink hot tea in the evening and it's even decaf!

yes my family loves iced tea, and i just use Lipton Decaf. and hot tea, too! helps me sleep much better :smile:
  • Cassi_Eats_Apples
    Options
    I use exercise to relieve my stress to prevent panic attacks, although I had one the other night when I had a particularly rough day and not enough time to get to the gym. But I couldn't imagine trying to run during one, I typically like to curl up in a ball on my bed lol.
  • cherigurl
    cherigurl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have had panic attacks since I was in high school, they are horrible, and I actually just had one the other night, and there was no way I was getting on my treadmill, my mind alone being fuzzy and my body so tight that my legs were twitching. I think running as a preventative for one might be good, but not durning and not even after. For me I have `to wait it out throw cold water on my face and actually put something funny on tv to distract my self. I can't see running during one I think it would make it worse for me.
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    IMO, your Dr wants you to try to use exercise when the panic attacks/anxiety are coming on... as a way to try to help avoid a full blown attack... that's what the medications are supposed to do after all... and I can tell you that not only does it help when exercise is used this way... it helps over all knowing I have tools to use to help control my anxiety, if I can get moving when I first feel it coming on I know I can avoid it.