Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Anyone tried the New Rules of Lifting for Women program?

I'd be interested to find out if anyone has followed the program from the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women. I have almost finished reading the book and I have learned a lot. I know a lot of people on here have read it as well, just curious if anyone actually has tried the weight program. If you have, here are some questions I have: did you follow it exactly? Were you a weight lifter before you started the program? How long did you do the program for? What kind of results did you get? While you were doing the program did you do cardio as well?

Overall, I think the program looks great, however, I'm a little concerned that the first couple of phases are going to be easy and maybe not challenge me as much as I'd like. I have been lifting weights for a while now and it's nothing new to me, so is there a way I can make the first few stages a little more challenging without altering the program too much?

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-

Here is a link to a group of women that are doing the program.
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    i just completeted the first week of stage 1 of NROL4W. i really enjoyed it! i have lifted weights in the past doing various commercial programs as well as what i created myself, and am quite experienced, but i find myself pretty sore.

if you want to make the first few stages more challenging, try running or some other type of cardio on off days. mr. schuler does stress in the book not to modify the exercise plans, by adding a bit of this and a bit of that. you'd be surprised how challenging the workouts are, even at stage 1, without modifications. try it out for a few weeks! it'll take time, but you'll see results with the program as is.

:D good luck!!
  • BetterWithAge
    BetterWithAge Posts: 691 Member
    I am finishing Stage 1 on Wednesday. I have been following the program and do some cardio (as long as I am not sore). I did do some Barbie weights, but nothing heavy.

Go here and join the group :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    I agree with the posts referring you to the New Rules of Lifting for Women group.

I'm currently doing the book as well as training for a half marathon. I wouldn't suggest doing both. You can make the workouts more intense by adding more weight. However, the first stage is mainly about getting proper form down before you start adding a bunch of weight. I just finished up week 4 of Stage 1 and I love it!! I definitely recommend it.
  • Just wanted to preface this by saying I have not done NROLFW. What are your goals right now? How long have you been lifting? What's your current program/routine? These answers will tell you where to go.

Some other program ideas: Starting Strength, PHAT (Layne Nortan), Stronglifts
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,317 Member
    I have a question about the program as well. Do you have to go to the gym to do it? I have a variety of weights and bars at home. Can I just do it here?
  • Just wanted to preface this by saying I have not done NROLFW. What are your goals right now? How long have you been lifting? What's your current program/routine? These answers will tell you where to go.

Right now I'm about 6-7 lbs away from my goal weight so I'd like to get that off, but mostly I want to lose body fat. I would also like to build my strength and build muscle. I have been lifting weights for about 7 months doing squats, hang cleans, lat pull down, lunges, shoulder press, etc. My routine now is working out 5 days a week doing 3 strength training days and 2 cardio days (usually zumba)
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    I have a question about the program as well. Do you have to go to the gym to do it? I have a variety of weights and bars at home. Can I just do it here?

If you have a bar, squat rack/power rack, resistant bands, dumb bells and swiss ball, oh and may be a step you can do it at home. Check out the link for the group, there are some ladies doing the program at home.

Right now I'm about 6-7 lbs away from my goal weight so I'd like to get that off, but mostly I want to lose body fat. I would also like to build my strength and build muscle. I have been lifting weights for about 7 months doing squats, hang cleans, lat pull down, lunges, shoulder press, etc. My routine now is working out 5 days a week doing 3 strength training days and 2 cardio days (usually zumba)

I know you're going to hate me for this but to get the bf off, it's all diet. Are you feeling like you're stalling in your lifts? Or just want to switch it up? Are you at bb.com?

I know you're going to hate me for this but to get the bf off, it's all diet. Are you feeling like you're stalling in your lifts? Or just want to switch it up? Are you at bb.com?

If I build more muscle it will help lose body fat though, right? That is what I've heard/read so that is the goal. I eat a pretty well balanced diet so I'm not too concerned about that.

I'm not stalling on my lifts, I just don't have a set routine and I've never really tried a structured lifting program before so I thought I'd give this a try. What is bb.com?
  • pouringraina
    pouringraina Posts: 106 Member
    bb.com is bodybuilding.com
    I am sorta doing NROLFW right now, and I have found bodybuilding.com very informative and motivational.