Need info-Do macros matter?

Options
I just checked out my ratios, and the last week I ran at 43% carbs, 39% fat, and 18% protein. I average net calories at 1500, and have been shooting for 60 minutes on the elliptical, 6 days a week. A lot of the time, I don't get in that much, but I am pretty consistent, and when I look at my charts, I see that I only have three days that I didn't log any cardio at all. Sometimes I do 20-40 minutes on the elliptical, and I think I had one day where I didn't do anything but walk my dog.
I also starting strength training, just dumbbells, as that is all I have access too. I started out with 5 lbs, and am lifting 15-20 lbs now. I lifted 25's the day before yesterday, but was scared I would hurt myself or overdo it, so I've eased back. I already feel TONS stronger, can see some definition in my legs and arms, and have moved up several resistance levels on the elliptical.
Once a week or so, I do Pilates or yoga, as well, just to throw something else in the mix since my cardio workout is very routine at the moment.

Since I began logging seriously and consistently on February 1, I have lost 11 pounds. Of course, I am happy with this, but it is more than I expected, especially since I increased my calorie goals- there just was no way I was going to be able to ONLY eat 1200 calories a day!! I thought that would slow down my weight loss, but it hasn't. Am I losing weight too rapidly? Should I be worried?

AND- Should I be paying attention to my macros? Is the fat percentage too high, and if so, why am I losing weight like this?? As I build muscle, how much protein do I need? I know 18% has to be a little low.

Most of the info I've found online about macros and weight lifting seems to be aimed at men. I really want and need good info. I really want to do this right. I can't afford a personal trainer right now, so I am trying to figure it all out on my own, and am finding that the conflicting information online for nutrition and fitness is overwhelming.

I've made my journals public in case anyone is kind enough to take the time to take a look at what I've been doing and give me some advice. One caveat: I don't really log strength training most of the time- I think I tried logging calories for it for a bit, until i realized it could be highly variable and wasn't really the reason that I am doing it anyway. I also don't log water, but everything else should be accurate. Thanks!

Replies

• Pooterly
    Pooterly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think for everyone who is very heavy like close to 200lbs, when you first start off in this new healthy lifestyle, at the beginning you lose A LOT! And then when you start getting closer to your desired weight, you start slowing down. Does that make sense? The heavier you are, the easier it is for you to lose it versus if you just got like less than 50lbs to go or so.

Where do you buy Dave's Killer bread?

You seem to be eating good and exercising good.
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Winco. Costco carries it too, if I remember right.
  • Pooterly
    Pooterly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm sad because I don't have either stores where I live. I live in Fort Smith, AR.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Since I began logging seriously and consistently on February 1, I have lost 11 pounds.

Am I losing weight too rapidly? Should I be worried?

A chunk of that weight was water but having said that, 1200 kcals is pretty low.
    AND- Should I be paying attention to my macros?

Yes, but it won't have a huge effect on weight loss. It may effect hormones, how you feel, lean mass retention, etc.
    Is the fat percentage too high, and if so, why am I losing weight like this?? As I build muscle, how much protein do I need? I know 18% has to be a little low.

I would aim for about .4-.5g/lb bodyweight in fat. I would suggest 1g/lb LBM in protein. These are minimums.
    Most of the info I've found online about macros and weight lifting seems to be aimed at men.

That's because most bodybuilders are men. The information in terms of g/lb should still apply.

I think this thread will help and I would also recommend some additional reading:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

The following sites tend to have nothing but reliable information:
    www.alanaragon.com
    www.body-recomposition.com
    www.weightology.net
    www.body-improvements.com
    www.leangains.com

To be clear: I'm not suggesting you join any of the pay programs on these sites. I am suggesting you browse around and read the free articles.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    What Sidesteal said for Macros. Work with minimum grams, not percentages. I eat a lot of fat around 100 grams a day. Hasn't held me back. No reason to do 1200. For most people it's too low. I can lose weight at 2000, so yeah, that's what I eat when I try to lose weight. If I can lose and eat more, you bet I'll eat more.

I always recommend New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women for women new to weight lifting. Really we SHOULD lift like men, this book just explains why. It's like $12 on Amazon. I've also heard good things about Starting Strength.
  • Soapstone
    Options
    I don't eat 1200!!

I have my goal at 1463-just under 1500. I am still playing with this. My last reset was at 1600. 1463 is the amount I would like to net.

Today I ate 2043, and was still under goal due to my cardio workout.

I feel like no one's really reading what I wrote :/
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I just checked out my ratios, and the last week I ran at 43% carbs, 39% fat, and 18% protein. I average net calories at 1500, ....

AND- Should I be paying attention to my macros? Is the fat percentage too high, and if so, why am I losing weight like this?? As I build muscle, how much protein do I need? I know 18% has to be a little low.

I would say that your protein is too low and your fat is too high... but not by extremes. In terms of protein, you're actually pretty close to what my trainer recommends which is something close to 60% carbs, 15-20% protein and about 20% fat. But she follows the Canada Food Guide, and I tend not to. I've opted for what a lot of people on here aim for, which is 40/30/30. I find 30% protein really hard without supplements, but the other two are about right.

Since I began logging seriously and consistently on February 1, I have lost 11 pounds. Of course, I am happy with this, but it is more than I expected, especially since I increased my calorie goals- there just was no way I was going to be able to ONLY eat 1200 calories a day!! I thought that would slow down my weight loss, but it hasn't. Am I losing weight too rapidly? Should I be worried?

That's fast... but a lot of it might be water. How are you feeling? Are you getting run-down or anything? Has it been steady at 3-4 lb per week (maybe too fast), or was it big then getting slower (normal)? You might try adding a couple hundred calories to your days and see what kind of impact that has - I'm shorter than you but with a similar age and starting weight, and I'm losing all right at about 1700/day.

Most of the info I've found online about macros and weight lifting seems to be aimed at men. I really want and need good info. I really want to do this right. I can't afford a personal trainer right now, so I am trying to figure it all out on my own, and am finding that the conflicting information online for nutrition and fitness is overwhelming.

I would highly recommend The New Rules of Lifting for Women. It is loaded with good information, easy to understand, and can be put to work immediately. I'm loving it.
  • Soapstone
    Options
    I consistently feel FANTASTIC- my energy levels are good, my depression and anxiety are waaaay down, and I sleep like a baby. I think I had one really bad energy day, and it was back when I was trying to do the cardio levels I'm doing with 1200 calories a day. That's when I raised my calorie levels to something more realistic.

Two votes for the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women- I think I need to check that out. Thanks, ladies!
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    The Macros can be tweeked to your own requirements. I try to eat less carbs (but generally fail at that by the way and even when I do it I usually DRINK my carbs!)

Here's the thing about "losing water" that I never understood before. Our body stores "instant" energy in water - like sugar water in throughout our body to pull from when it needs it. when we start to watch our food intake and increase our exercise, the body pulls energy out of these water stores - so it doesn't matter if you drink 2 gallons of water a day you still can lose "water weight" because of this water based energy store. As your weight loss continues your body slowly burns fat as it rebuilds it's water stores so the initial "ten pounds of water weight" isn't gained right back but the water is... it's just off set by the fat loss.

Hopefully that makes sense. I can see it in a equation but I can't seem to articulate it in English!

Which all comes back to, the initial 11 lb loss ISN'T too fast but if you continue with this rate of loss it could be problematic or you could be blessed with a beautiful fuel burning system!

Keep up the great work!
  • Soapstone
    Options
    The Macros can be tweeked to your own requirements. I try to eat less carbs (but generally fail at that by the way and even when I do it I usually DRINK my carbs!)

Here's the thing about "losing water" that I never understood before. Our body stores "instant" energy in water - like sugar water in throughout our body to pull from when it needs it. when we start to watch our food intake and increase our exercise, the body pulls energy out of these water stores - so it doesn't matter if you drink 2 gallons of water a day you still can lose "water weight" because of this water based energy store. As your weight loss continues your body slowly burns fat as it rebuilds it's water stores so the initial "ten pounds of water weight" isn't gained right back but the water is... it's just off set by the fat loss.

Hopefully that makes sense. I can see it in a equation but I can't seem to articulate it in English!

Which all comes back to, the initial 11 lb loss ISN'T too fast but if you continue with this rate of loss it could be problematic or you could be blessed with a beautiful fuel burning system!

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for this. I have a question though. If you increase your water intake, doesn't that HELP you get rid of water weight? My understanding is that you retain water when your sodium levels are high and you don't drink enough water.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Since I began logging seriously and consistently on February 1, I have lost 11 pounds.

Am I losing weight too rapidly? Should I be worried?

A chunk of that weight was water but having said that, 1200 kcals is pretty low.
    AND- Should I be paying attention to my macros?

Yes, but it won't have a huge effect on weight loss. It may effect hormones, how you feel, lean mass retention, etc.

Is the fat percentage too high, and if so, why am I losing weight like this?? As I build muscle, how much protein do I need? I know 18% has to be a little low.

I would aim for about .4-.5g/lb bodyweight in fat. I would suggest 1g/lb LBM in protein. These are minimums.
    Most of the info I've found online about macros and weight lifting seems to be aimed at men.

That's because most bodybuilders are men. The information in terms of g/lb should still apply.

I think this thread will help and I would also recommend some additional reading:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

The following sites tend to have nothing but reliable information:
    www.alanaragon.com
    www.body-recomposition.com
    www.weightology.net
    www.body-improvements.com
    www.leangains.com

To be clear: I'm not suggesting you join any of the pay programs on these sites. I am suggesting you browse around and read the free articles.

Saving to read later...