Absolutely Desperate

Options
For the past 4 months, I've been eating really healthy. I cut out all red meat and limit my dairy (I love cheese) to low fat or switch to almond milk. I don't eat junk food, if I can avoid it and I drink a lot of water. I work out 3-4 times a week (every other day), I'll admit a lot of people would look at my work out and laugh but it's all my body can handle (I am recovering for a devastating accident that permanently disabled me). I don't quit until I've pushed that limit (my PT helped me know what that is and when to push it). And after all this, I've gained two pounds and it's NOT muscle. I am overweight, preparing for my wedding, and I just don't know whether to quit the calorie count I am seriously dismayed. After all this HARD work, I haven't lost an ounce but gained.

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    What do the caloie counts look like?

But I feel you about working hard and not seeing the results.
  • missgillen
    missgillen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1,200 calories a day or right around. Give or take a hundred calories.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    What does this site say you're supposed to be taking in w/o exercise? And do you eat your exercise calories back?
  • missgillen
    missgillen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1200 is the absolute minimum most bodies can handle. Anything seriously under it for a prolonged period of time can put the body into starvation mode, or at least that is what my doctor has advised me. I do try to eat those calories back, because the last thing I want to do is harm my body by shocking it into starvation. I try to burn the fat with as much cardio as my recovering legs can handle and I try to tone the muscles with light weights and multiple reps. My arm and legs can't do heavy weights yet because of the strain it causes to the knee replacement, plates, pins, rods, and screws in my bones.
  • indisguise
    Options
    1200 is the absolute minimum most bodies can handle. Anything seriously under it for a prolonged period of time can put the body into starvation mode, or at least that is what my doctor has advised me. I do try to eat those calories back, because the last thing I want to do is harm my body by shocking it into starvation. I try to burn the fat with as much cardio as my recovering legs can handle and I try to tone the muscles with light weights and multiple reps. My arm and legs can't do heavy weights yet because of the strain it causes to the knee replacement, plates, pins, rods, and screws in my bones.

How about something like aqua aerobics?
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    How long ago was your accident? I know the body requires massive amounts of calories to recover from big injuries, it may still be recovering and you're starving it.
  • myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You might consider looking into having a metabolic panel or some blood work done. You might have a thyroid issue or some kind of deficiency that is affecting your ability to lose.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    1200 is awful low, What are your maintenance calories?
  • sloanie1
    sloanie1 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Firstly NEVER give up, that is the last thing you want to do, I know it can be very frustrating but you have to stick with it, I've been on this journey for over 15months and still not at goal......if you open your diary up I can have a look for you and see if I can make some suggestions for you....sometimes we think we are eating the right foods but our bodies don't always think so...
  • msespresso
    msespresso Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you've been sitting around 1200 calories a day for a while now, why not try mixing it up? Switch up your weekly goal with MFP and see what it suggests for a loss of 1 lb a week. My guess is that eating more for a week or two will help and you'll see the scale move... once you do, switch it up again. Don't give up, just try making some changes. Everyone's body responds differently!
  • lorir1104
    lorir1104 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you're logging your food, pay attention to where your calories are coming from - carbs, fat, protein. Then try eating more or less of one group to see if the scales move. I know for me personally, too many carbs - even the good ones, will hinder my weight loss. I do better with a bit more protein. Like the previous poster said, every body is different. Play around until you find something that works for you.