No results =(

Options
2»

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Fats are needed, but that diet does have fat in it as nearly all diets do. It is fine to have a low fat diet with 15% of your calories coming from fat. That is just over 20g for 1400 calories. These will come easily from a well balanced mix of veg, lean protein and low (note not no) fat dairy.

What diet? We don't know the OPs diet so I was talking in a generic sense.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    def eat more!! i wonder if u measure urself as well as weigh?? it could b that u may not have lost any weight over the last 4 weeks but u may have toned and lost inches???

This is the key part.... "lost inches".... Have you? I've plateaued for 3 weeks once but lost 2.5 inches round my waist and 1 round my thighs and 1 round my arms. The number on the scale isnt always the most important thing.... :)
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Fats are needed, but that diet does have fat in it as nearly all diets do. It is fine to have a low fat diet with 15% of your calories coming from fat. That is just over 20g for 1400 calories. These will come easily from a well balanced mix of veg, lean protein and low (note not no) fat dairy.

What diet? We don't know the OPs diet so I was talking in a generic sense.

Missed a word out. That diet type does have fat in it. That being a diet of well balanced mix of fruit/veg, lean protein and low (note not no) fat dairy.
  • josiejo333
    Options
    i am going to stop posting things ppl dont read them properly.....lol
  • Danpellizzari
    Options
    Bump
  • josiejo333
    Options
    <<<
    muscle doesnt weigh more than fat...1lb muscle takes up less space in the body than 1lb of fat...thats why you should check your measurements aswell as ur weight.
    [/quote]<<<

What you are saying is somewhat of a contradiction. Muscle has a higher density than fat. Yes and pound of fat and a pound of muscle would both weigh a pound. But, the fat pile to make up the pound would in fact be bigger than the muscle pound pile.

It's why the water test works best for figuring out true body mass.

If you consider water has a density of 1, muscle has a density of 1.1, and fat has a density of .9, the fat floats, the muscle sinks. A 300 lb person with a lean body mass of 50 would weigh about 150 in the tank of water (the fat is floating). A 200# person with a lean body mass of say 10, would weigh 180 in the water (more muscle is sinking).
    [/quote]
    i did say muscle takes up less space in the body...which is another way of phrasing muscle has a higher density than fat...........dohh
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

<<<muscle doesnt weigh more than fat...1lb muscle takes up less space in the body than 1lb of fat...thats why you should check your measurements aswell as ur weight.

What you are saying is somewhat of a contradiction. Muscle has a higher density than fat. Yes and pound of fat and a pound of muscle would both weigh a pound. But, the fat pile to make up the pound would in fact be bigger than the muscle pound pile.

If you consider water has a density of 1, muscle has a density of 1.1, and fat has a density of .9, the fat floats, the muscle sinks. A 300 lb person with a lean body mass of 50 would weigh about 150 in the tank of water (the fat is floating). A 200# person with a lean body mass of say 10, would weigh 180 in the water (more muscle is sinking).

i did say muscle takes up less space in the body...which is another way of phrasing muscle has a higher density than fat...........dohh

Please everyone, let's not hijack this thread to debate the density of muscle and fat.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options

<<<muscle doesnt weigh more than fat...1lb muscle takes up less space in the body than 1lb of fat...thats why you should check your measurements aswell as ur weight.

Please everyone, let's not hijack this thread to debate the density of muscle and fat.

I don't think anyone is "hijacking" by bringing in this "debate". It's stating a fact and I think it's an important one. Plateaus are irritating and frustrating but it's always worth factoring in inches lost and not just focusing on the number on the scales. I have plateaued once for 3 weeks and did everything like the OP - BUT I lost nearly 5 inches in those 3 weeks because obviously with the amount of exercise i slimmed down as muscle is more dense and takes up less space.

I'm a big advocate of always looking at inches lost in tandem of scales to et perspective of the work you've done and sometimes people get very disheartened, demotivated and depressed by just looking at numbers on a scale rather than overall slimness and health! So it's an important point to make. The OP sounds very active and this is an important point for them to think about! :)
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Also be mindful, depending on how much time you spend in the gym, that you look at muscle weight. Muscle weighs more than fat. When I satrted lifting and working out I dropped weight very fast but then, like you, it considerably got slower. I was still loosing "fat" weight but I was gaining "Muscle" weight with my workout routine. But like the others are saying, increasing your calories will help.

muscle does not weigh more then fat, they weigh the same just muscle takes up less space. It is a myth that muscle weighs more.

Truth be told, muscle has a larger specific gravity than fat (adipose tissue). A pound of fat and a pound of muscle both weigh a pound and, indeed, that pound of muscle will take up less volume than that pound of fat. But, muscle's specific gravity is 1.06 g/ml, while fat's specific gravity is 0.92g/ml. For the same volume of fat and muscle, the muscle will weigh more. It is NOT a myth that muscle weighs more than fat.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Eat more or exercise less.

You are not providing your body enough fuel for the level that you are working out.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and whats your body fat%?
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    <<<
    muscle doesnt weigh more than fat...1lb muscle takes up less space in the body than 1lb of fat...thats why you should check your measurements aswell as ur weight.
    <<<

[/quote]
    [/quote]

You just contradicted yourself.... muscle's specific gravity is 1.06 g/ml (see your estimation of 1.1) and fat's specific gravity is 0.92 (see your estimation of .9) this means that the same volume of muscle with weigh more than that volume of fat. Muscle DOES weigh more than fat AND a pound of muscle and a pound of fat both weigh a pound AND the muscle will take up less "space" on the body. Your argument is slightly muddled. AND a water test is most accurate, but most people do not have access or funds necessary for a water test.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    eat more. yes. at LEAST 500 more, ALSO the scale lies take measurements!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Set macronutrients to Protein 30% Fat 30% carbs 40%.
    Set calories to 1600 at the least.

This is what I got from your diary.
  • gibnic
    gibnic Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you, this helps. I made my diary public so you can all see it. I do have fats in my diet, I meant that I avoid junk and I limit high fat foods. I don't deprive myself, as you can see if you look at yesterdays food log, when my family went out for sundaes after dinner, I went too, I just split my sundae with my youngest who doesn't eat much =) anyways, point is, there are fats, I hate fat free cottage cheese, but I like 2%. I love nuts, avacados etc. I don't eat a lot of potato chips or french fries though! I think my diet is overall pretty healthy, not perfect, but I have good eating habits. Maybe just not enough though, I didn't realize that with exercise I need to add back most of the calories that I work off, this seems strange to me because isn't the point of exercise to burn off calories? I am under the impression that in order to loose weight I need to burn off 3500 calories to loose one pound, so I am exercising like crazy trying to loose weight and it seems to be taking its sweet time coming off. Thank you all for the information on plateus, this is useful information. As for the debate about fat versus muscle, debate on, it is interesting to hear different angles =)