Dr. Oz????

Options
so Im going to feel like an idiot and probably sound like one (i apologize) but is he really full of that much bull****?

Replies

• audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    haha...I'm not a Dr. Oz fan, either...It totally kills me how many people at my work hang on his every word!!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    He's full of vitamins and supplements and gets paid very well for it! That or he's a sales rep!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Not all the time, but I think you really have to listen to what he says because some of it gets taken out of context by other people. And always do a bit of research of your own to see if there are any other professionals that offer opinions, studies, etc. to back him up or to disprove what he says. I don't watch him, but I know people who follow him like mindless lemmings.
  • andygettinfitt
    Options
    he is a quack and over dramatize stuff for his program. If his eyes arnt brown they should because full to brimm with BS but just IMO
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of useful information on his shows, if you can sift through the baloney and advertisements he also has. There is a kernel of truth in a lot of it.
    I like to use WebMD to verify a lot of what he talks about. And I definitely ignore the promotional stuff I know he does because they pay him for it!
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Yeah he's kind of a sell out in my opinion. I will admit he does sometimes have the right idea with snacks and such, but he's ALL ABOUT "quick fix" diet crap.
    Unfortunately most want what we want NOW, so as soon as you say eat less and exercise more most ignore that advice.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    He makes me think of Oprah. Some of what he says makes sense (wearing a cheap sunscreen liberally is the best "beauty secret" for your skin, for instance), but other things don't, and he has such a following that sometimes it seems like people would jump off of a bridge if he said it was good for their health. For many people, that kind of following is SUCH a turn off, it is hard to listen to what he says. (That is why I compare him to Oprah.)
    I watch his show sometimes, but not regularly, so I may not be the best person to critique him.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of useful information on his shows, if you can sift through the baloney and advertisements he also has. There is a kernel of truth in a lot of it.
    I like to use WebMD to verify a lot of what he talks about. And I definitely ignore the promotional stuff I know he does because they pay him for it!

I just posted on another Dr Oz thread.... he breaks down info into easy-to-understand terms and demonstrations. Its like anything, take what is beneficial to you and discard the rest. Be smart like the above poster and verify info when you can. I'm not a regular watcher but the biggest product endorsement I've seen him do is Weight Watchers, which is a good weight loss program. To me its a better recommendation than Dr. Phil pushing the Pink Method or the Biggest Loser's product placement every 5 minutes in between extreme diet and exercise.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I used to like him, and felt he had really good solid advice. one day he had someone on his show who started talking about remembering past lives, I had to ask myself what kind of crap that was all about. That show ended it for me. Now if I do see him on tv, I usually change the channel, i am overly cautious about anything he says. As kwest posted, you really need to check things out from trusted sources and make informed decisions.

Of course when you consider he got his start with Oprah, one would wonder how long would it be before he became another Dr. Phil? (yep, Oprah hater here)!
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options

I just posted on another Dr Oz thread.... he breaks down info into easy-to-understand terms and demonstrations. Its like anything, take what is beneficial to you and discard the rest. Be smart like the above poster and verify info when you can. I'm not a regular watcher but the biggest product endorsement I've seen him do is Weight Watchers, which is a good weight loss program. To me its a better recommendation than Dr. Phil pushing the Pink Method or the Biggest Loser's product placement every 5 minutes in between extreme diet and exercise.

You don't think Weight Watchers pays him for that?
  • airie797
    Options
    He makes me think of Oprah. Some of what he says makes sense (wearing a cheap sunscreen liberally is the best "beauty secret" for your skin, for instance), but other things don't, and he has such a following that sometimes it seems like people would jump off of a bridge if he said it was good for their health. For many people, that kind of following is SUCH a turn off, it is hard to listen to what he says. (That is why I compare him to Oprah.)
    I watch his show sometimes, but not regularly, so I may not be the best person to critique him.

Helenatrandom: I agree with you!!! :) I have learned a few things from him such as baby shampoo removes eye makeup (haha), but I think sometimes he is a bit overboard. I don't watch him very often, just once in a while if I see a show that looks interesting I might watch it. Rarely do I ever sit through the who show & find myself fast-forwarding to what it is I wanted to know about. I actually used to watch Oprah back in the early 2000s but got to the point where I didn't really believe much of what she was saying. It is sort of ridiculous how many people follow Dr. Oz & their fascination with him. Yes, he might have some good points, but others are blown out of the water I think...
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If you don't like him, don't watch him.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The show is a gold mine for hypochondriacs. Like last week's episode on what everyday aches and pains might actually be cancer. It's like "1000 Ways to Die," but the slow and painful version.
  • HoosierMomma1
    HoosierMomma1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I agree. It seems likes every other day he is recommending new supplements to lose weight. I dont watch much anymore because it feels llike a very long infomercial these days
  • Phatdaddymike
    Options
    i dont watch him...hes on when judge Alex or some other court show is on and im having my milk and cookies :)