Measuring food while people watch...

Options
Do any of you feel like you are annoying family/friends while you're measuring food, looking at labels that have been tossed in the trash or even talking about weight loss?
Sometimes I just want to scream!!

Replies

• EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Do any of you feel like you are annoying family/friends while you're measuring food, looking at labels that have been tossed in the trash or even talking about weight loss?

Don't think anyone actually cares. Its your subjective view.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I live with these people and have for 30+ years. Thanks though. :)
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Yes I have same feeling. Especialy when I weight/measure my things in the kitchen while wife is cooking, and i bother her by taking some space in the kitchen. :D
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Never. Not about them. Its about me. Most people who act annoyed do so because of their own insecurity or feeling of helplessness because they don't have fortitude to do the same.
  • n8vchick77
    n8vchick77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I do the cooking and such in my house, since I'm the mom I'm the boss! :) I use a measuring cup and check the calories on all labels before I prepare or eat my meals. I've gotten good enough so that when I'm out I know about how much is what....does that make sense?
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    don't think it annoys but supermarket shopping takes longer because I read the labels
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Yes, it gets annoying...but, I've learned to ignore it! :)
  • chuckiephudd
    chuckiephudd Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    At 1st i did, but then it caught on, now my wife measures out everything, as for the kids, they are quite active in after school activities so we don't worry as much for them, but when we r out, it is about me and i do not care how annoyed or frustrated ppl get, in the end, i feel better and i stay where i am supposed, achieving my weight loss goal 1 or 2 lbs at at time, MY WAY, LOL!!!!!!
  • amymbeasley
    Options
    i know i annoy them! went to parents house and measured out my food. even took my scale. my mom turned to my husband and said "does she seriously do this at every meal?"
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Even though my husband is working with me to get healthy I see him roll his eyes occasionally when I'm measuring things. He thinks it's a little excessive. I just remind him that I've lost over 40 pounds in 2 years and that measuring and logging my food is how I've gotten here. As far as anyone else, it's their problem not mine.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I live with my 7 year old daughter, and she helps me weigh all of our food.. and she is VERY supportive of her dad! I read all the labels for my food and am slowly swithcing her over to were we eat the same things.
  • ChattyKitten
    ChattyKitten Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    lol me my mom and sis all measure...my dad gets annyoed I think b/c we get all our food and let him take as much as he wants after us, but he has to wait for us to clear outta the way. And I agree with GrannyIris above....supermarket shopping takes forever b/c of reading labels lol
  • HeaderAutumn
    HeaderAutumn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Oh hell Yes I Do!!! I get weird looks at work and I have decided not to eat anymore with certain friends because they seem to always get all pissy about my questions and choices. I think part of it is because they look at my actions like I am commenting on how they are eating. I do try to pay attention and only talk about my eating habits with like-minded people and not to preach to anyone. And try to remember, the only person who wants to hear about what I eat is me. And of course MFP friends...
  • DellG85
    DellG85 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    lol, I don't care whether people look, moan or whatever. Nothing wrong with looking after yourself after all :)
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I've always read labels & have frequently annoyed my shopping partners lol & just recently I have started to weigh my foods, I try to work around my partner if she is cooking BUT generally I am cooking so it easier to be obsessive rahaha:laugh: It can be annoying to others & I don't like to be selfish or overbearing BUT sometimes it has to be about you! & it's not like I am swearing, smoking or killing them with halitosis.

Russ
  • debswebby
    Options
    Not at all. My hubby actually fishes things out of the bin for me so I can read the labels. He does most of the cooking too so he calls me when its time to start weighing stuff.
    Even if it did get on his nerves, I'd still do it.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Yes I do...but after feeling "guilty" for a while about it I finally decided that I am totally worth it and continue to do so. I DO, however, try to be more aware of how much I am "talking" about calories/weightloss/exercise etc....I don't want to be that person that no one wants to be around because they seem to only have a one track mind. Though I WANT to talk about it ALL the time it seems!

Happily learning how to live better,
    JP
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've had co-workers comment, "You're measuring the cream you put into your coffee?!" I simply say, "Yes." I do what I need to do for me and don't worry about their attitudes and viewpoints. Besides, I'm probably the most healthy of all in my office!
  • RockChick1984
    Options
    I just dont care what people think... its MY health i am trying to better, if they cant appreciate that then they obviously need their head seeing to :laugh:
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    My mother jokes with me when I stare at labels and my friends do just the same. No one thinks I need to be on this site or any weight loss site. Nor do they think I need to be on any kind of calorie diet. I often get embarrassed when I pop out my iPod touch and scan labels to add to my dairy. I have to buy my own food otherwise I'll just be on a pizza, hot dog, and hamburger helper diet.