Measuring food while people watch...

Options

Replies

• robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    My friends think I'm a little crazy, but they can see that it's working. My husband loves it, cause he can see the results. He's never has weight issues so I'm glad he is supportive.
  • halhix
    halhix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Everyone at my house is used to it by now when I measure out my food. When my wife makes a special new recipe, she measures everything out to let me know what she put in it. I would take a scale to the restaurant and measure everything out. (My teenagers would cringe when the scale came out). Now I just ask the waiter/manager what their typical portions are. Over time I've become a little less neurotic about it :)

11810586.png
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    People think I'm nuts but I don't care lol
    I actually asked for all the packaging at my friends kids birthday party a few weeks back so I could add the cals lol
  • HoosierMomma1
    HoosierMomma1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yep, sounds like my husband. But to make it worse, he says he supports me then brings back chips and dip etc. Not only that but he just asked me if I wanted some chips! He also bought me a huge box of turtles for valentines day. I can avoid this stuff most of the time but it is really hard.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Nope we both measure when cooking.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    It's all in perspective....the trick is how you react to them. Just ignore it. They will eventually get used to this new you! ;)
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Nope. Most of the people I know say I inspire them to be healthier. They watch what I do and see the progress I've made and sometimes actually take steps to their own "Steve Perry" into fitness.
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I used to drive my hubby crazy pulling out wrappers out of the trash and looking at the calories and carbs and such. Now he thinks about that and doesn't want me digging through the trash so he will bring me the labels to look at before he starts cooking. They will slowly begin to realize what you need once you start showing some undeniable results.
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    lol this is perfect for me!...

I work at a grocery store and I am CONSTANTLY sneaking peaks at peoples groceries comparing calories in one can to another and I'm HORRIFIED at the amount of sodium.....

there must be a 12 step program out there for people like me.......

hmmmmm a STEP CLASS that combines AEROBICS with CALORIC INFORMATION??????????
  • Brandzilla
    Brandzilla Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    YES!! My grandmother, whom lives with us, especially always says "Oh you and your diet stuff. I've never had to measure my food" She's naturally thin. I'm a curvy and well padded! When we are at the grocery store and I buy chicken breast or turkey bacon she says "ew diet food" It makes me feel bad for some reason. Like I'm being pointed out for trying. I keep saying "It's not a diet. I'm just watching what I eat"
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Exactly; if they are so bothered by it then they should do the homework for you (look at labels, calories, etc).
    Never. Not about them. Its about me. Most people who act annoyed do so because of their own insecurity or feeling of helplessness because they don't have fortitude to do the same.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Do any of you feel like you are annoying family/friends while you're measuring food, looking at labels that have been tossed in the trash or even talking about weight loss?
    Sometimes I just want to scream!!

Nope, because frankly I dont give a s***. Ill take the time to make sure the quality of the meats I purchase are high quality. Ill take time to examine the fresh produce to get the best for the money Im spending. People have become verbal with me, in a rather pissy mood - and I just simply tell it like it is and say "you can be patient just like I am with other people. Or, you can simple go get other items while I grab what I need"... They get even more pissy because they are in a hurry and dont have time to waste - I tell them "your lack of time management is not my issue and Im not going to hurry up because you are impatient"...

My husband comes with me and reads labels with me to learn too - he is SHOCKED and has a wake-up call everytime he reads labels of the things he likes to eat. It has often motivated him to put it back on the shelf.... but, that is done on his own accord...

He learned from me how to get the freshest possible broccoli crowns and asparagus. He had no idea there were things you could look for. He found the most purply-crowned asparagus bunch and I was so excited for him.... he found broccoli that had more purple on it than the "purple people eater' himself, so he bagged it up, grabbed a little of the ice and put it in the bag and loaded our cart.

He always thought avocado needed to be extra soft when you purchase it. I had told him that extra soft could mean it was roughly handled and is now too bruised and old.... better to get an avocado that is hard as a rock, and let it ripen naturally at home... when I showed him, he was amazed at the difference.

Thankfully he has a level of appreciation for what Im doing.. he even tries everything I make too!

But to that woman in the grocery store last night (literally) who got pissed at me because I wouldnt keep moving fast enough for her... thats tough s***. If Im on my cell phone standing in the area and not focusing on the product, OK, tell me to go screw and move. But if Im shopping, you can learn to have a little patience... nothing is walking away from you... its still going to be there if Im not interested in the product...

Confused. If you are blocking all of that particular product so others can't grab any or blocking the aisle, I would get impatient, too. I do a lot of what you do (checking produce, labels, etc.) but it only takes a second to make sure I'm not blocking anybody else's way.

When I'm cooking at home, I practice by guesstimating before weighing/measuring. I'm usually pretty close so I'm confident that when I'm out-and-about that I can just eyeball my serving sizes and be close enough for the occasional meals we eat out. Then, when I input it into MFP, I tend to over-estimate it. Like, if I think it was a half-cup of something, I might input it as 2/3 or 3/4 of a cup.
  • sergetns73
    sergetns73 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i know i annoy them! went to parents house and measured out my food. even took my scale. my mom turned to my husband and said "does she seriously do this at every meal?"

what was your answer and how do they reacted ?
  • flyawaybyebye
    Options
    I don't worry about it. My friends and family who want the best for me understand why I do it. Those who don't, don't have my best interests at heart, so why should I care what they think?
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Do any of you feel like you are annoying family/friends while you're measuring food, looking at labels that have been tossed in the trash or even talking about weight loss?
    Sometimes I just want to scream!!

Nope, because frankly I dont give a s***. Ill take the time to make sure the quality of the meats I purchase are high quality. Ill take time to examine the fresh produce to get the best for the money Im spending. People have become verbal with me, in a rather pissy mood - and I just simply tell it like it is and say "you can be patient just like I am with other people. Or, you can simple go get other items while I grab what I need"... They get even more pissy because they are in a hurry and dont have time to waste - I tell them "your lack of time management is not my issue and Im not going to hurry up because you are impatient"...

My husband comes with me and reads labels with me to learn too - he is SHOCKED and has a wake-up call everytime he reads labels of the things he likes to eat. It has often motivated him to put it back on the shelf.... but, that is done on his own accord...

He learned from me how to get the freshest possible broccoli crowns and asparagus. He had no idea there were things you could look for. He found the most purply-crowned asparagus bunch and I was so excited for him.... he found broccoli that had more purple on it than the "purple people eater' himself, so he bagged it up, grabbed a little of the ice and put it in the bag and loaded our cart.

He always thought avocado needed to be extra soft when you purchase it. I had told him that extra soft could mean it was roughly handled and is now too bruised and old.... better to get an avocado that is hard as a rock, and let it ripen naturally at home... when I showed him, he was amazed at the difference.

Thankfully he has a level of appreciation for what Im doing.. he even tries everything I make too!

But to that woman in the grocery store last night (literally) who got pissed at me because I wouldnt keep moving fast enough for her... thats tough s***. If Im on my cell phone standing in the area and not focusing on the product, OK, tell me to go screw and move. But if Im shopping, you can learn to have a little patience... nothing is walking away from you... its still going to be there if Im not interested in the product...

Confused. If you are blocking all of that particular product so others can't grab any or blocking the aisle, I would get impatient, too. I do a lot of what you do (checking produce, labels, etc.) but it only takes a second to make sure I'm not blocking anybody else's way.

When I'm cooking at home, I practice by guesstimating before weighing/measuring. I'm usually pretty close so I'm confident that when I'm out-and-about that I can just eyeball my serving sizes and be close enough for the occasional meals we eat out. Then, when I input it into MFP, I tend to over-estimate it. Like, if I think it was a half-cup of something, I might input it as 2/3 or 3/4 of a cup.

This is a place you grab a ticket with a number, they call your number when its your turn for service. I dont think this woman grabbed a ticket hence her impatient ways... No such thing as blocking anything... she clearly was impatient....
  • kayleystar
    kayleystar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Nah. My friends & family completely support me. My husband even asked once "did you remember to weigh your chicken"? lol
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I was raised in a family where I was taught "Eyeballed food taste better than measured food". Which is really true. In stead of busting out the measuring cups and teaspoons my family just guess. I'm not gonna deny food when I go to grandma's house because she refused to use a measuring cup. I just guess right along with her or I won't even record it. And I don't cook my own food because I can't cook and I can't afford ingredients that aren't already frozen and pre-made. So if the box says it's 1 box with XXX calories I'll trust it
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yeah, there are people who say stuff about it to me.

I measure everything. It wasn't until I did that, that i started getting good consistent results.

Don't let them discourage you because they don't understand. You are doing a good job!!
  • miller4life
    Options
    Sure it can be annoying but when they see the amazing results from what I have done they wont think so :wink:

Its about creating new habits and that to me is one good habit just like working out daily!
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm doing something terrible when my kitten is looking at me.

Yup, I totally get what you mean. At first, that was some sort of "shame", I remember when I was trying to hide the fact I was using it ahah .But now,when I've friends, they don't even ask - since they get (well they think I'm on diet :grumble: ) that meal prep matters to me; and you're right to use it - thermodynamics : calories in VS calories out. Without scaling, kinda hard to know how much cal you eat :)