Tablets + Smartphones at the Gym?

Options
What are people's thoughts on the use of Tablet and Smartphone devices at the Gym?

I use an app to track my weight training on a per set basis as it structures my workout + rest periods for me, but I feel a little odd using them as I am very much the minority at my gym (only 1 as far as I can see)

Replies

• Firefighter_Jay
    Firefighter_Jay Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I always bring my iPad to the gym. I have an app that gives me my routine, and also has video to show me the correct way to do each exercise. I work out alone, sometimes I need the advice it gives
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    seeing chicks text on the treadmill lol
  • pontprennau
    pontprennau Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Can I ask what app you use to regulate your sets ? I'm looking for a good one to use to assist me!!
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    i constantly fiddle with my phone, pandora radio, texts, emails, etc...........in between sets of course.
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Always have my phone at the gym. I use it for logging my exercise as I finish each thing and also for the music.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think if you are using it to help yourself work out properly, there is nothing wrong with it. It's not like you're just sitting around on the equipment playing on your tablet instead of actually working out like I've seen people do in the past.
  • saahild
    Options
    JEFIT mate.

On Android + iPhone + Web aspect to it which syncs at the end of workouts. It has lifting logs and a fairly extensive database of exercises.

It allows you to put in and work out your own routine with days, sets, reps, rest timer the lot. And it has a good community behind it too so you can share your workout, use other people's workouts and such.

Definitely recommended.

(God I sound like an advert)

ETA: What is everyone else using?
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm usually watching Netflix on my iPOD when I'm on the elliptical. Nothing like a good SVU mini-marathon to make the time go faster.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    On the cardio equipment, sure.
    on the weight equipment - remember your sets/weights and enter into JEFIT later.

Then again, depends on the gym. I can see everyone at Planet Fitness with their iphones out, but, say, Powerlifters Anonymous, not so much.
  • msmithevv
    msmithevv Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Gotta have my smartphone for music on the treadmill and in the shower!!
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I need one....... my gym dont have open wifi though
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    Can I ask what app you use to regulate your sets ? I'm looking for a good one to use to assist me!!

I use an app called JEFIT on my phone and pc. You can customize your own routines or find other people's routines for some guidance. I really like it.

As far as the original question goes, to each their own. If bringing your tablet/phone helps you, go for it! If people have a problem with it, too bad. They should be focusing on themselves, not what others are doing. People who are that concerned with what others are doing at the gym are most likely there for the wrong reason(s). IMO... :smile:
  • itsallyson
    itsallyson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I always have my iPad in my gym bag! I use Netflix to keep me on the treadmill, or for music. I also use Nike Training Club for my circuit training exercises. I always get weird looks but I don't care!
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    nowadays, tablets and smartphones are all over the place which makes sense coz these are packed with usefull apps which could be applied in almost anything
  • xaniza
    xaniza Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I wish I had one so I could use it at the gym =) I have a crappy old phone so I use the "notepad" in there to record my weights/sets and cals burned on the cardio machine so I can log them when I get home. One day I'll break into present... haha
  • jdavison91
    Options
    I use JEFIT as well. Has worked really well for tracking the Starting Strength program. I also use my iPhone to listen to music when getting some cardio in (as most people do), but I agree, there aren't alot of people lifting weights and using a smartphone / tablet to track their workouts, but I'm OK with that. I'm there for me, not to worry about what other people are doing.
  • saahild
    Options
    Aha another JEFIT user! It's the time between the rest period that I'm most concious because you're literally just sat there waiting for timer to go down on your phone while you rest, makes it look like you're slacking!

msmithevv, in the shower? brave, very brave
  • fitrene
    fitrene Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    JEFIT mate.

On Android + iPhone + Web aspect to it which syncs at the end of workouts. It has lifting logs and a fairly extensive database of exercises.

It allows you to put in and work out your own routine with days, sets, reps, rest timer the lot. And it has a good community behind it too so you can share your workout, use other people's workouts and such.

Definitely recommended.

(God I sound like an advert)

ETA: What is everyone else using?

This is what I use and LOVE IT! I've had several people ask me what I was using. I tested many. I got tired of carrying the clipboard around :-)!
  • BigL0s
    BigL0s Posts: 133
    Options
    I see everyone use a smartphone at my gym. Not every second, but they come in handy. I use mine as a stopwatch. And maybe once in a while read & reply to a text. I don't get service in my gym alot
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    As long is its not interfering with someone else's workout you can do whatever you need to do.