kettlebell?

Options
I've been looking online at different exercises and was thinking of getting a kettlebell. I'm pretty much a beginner exerciser so I'm not sure what size to start off with 5-8-10?

Is it truly a worth my time workout where results should be seen or is it more of a toning type of exercise that should be done once closer to goal weight? :\

Any input would be appreciated :) Thanks!

Replies

• elliemaemollyann
    Options
    I bought a ten pound one and it works for me. I like doing the kettlebell workout. I bought the Julian Michaels dvd. She will kick your butt....Good Luck
  • niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have Jillian Michael's Shred it with weights workout. There're two levels, a beginner and a more advanced workout on the DVD. I started with a 5 lb kettle bell. I was sore when I first started the workout but now the 5 lb seems a little easier. The workout, however still keeps my heart rate up. Good resistance training. I'm ready to get that 8 lb kettle bell.
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've been looking online at different exercises and was thinking of getting a kettlebell. I'm pretty much a beginner exerciser so I'm not sure what size to start off with 5-8-10?

Is it truly a worth my time workout where results should be seen or is it more of a toning type of exercise that should be done once closer to goal weight? :\

Any input would be appreciated :) Thanks!

I've recently started a kettle bell program and am loving it!

As for the weight to get, that's tough to say not knowing you and your current fitness level. If you have a store available, try them out for five minutes, then realize you'll be lifting them for longer! So you don't want one if it feels too heavy for those five minutes.

I think it will be worth your while immediately...it seems to me like a great workout all around.

Good luck with it!
  • kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm going on three weeks doing Kettle Worx kettle bell routine, and it's pretty fun. The site recommends starting with 5 pounds for women, but I started with 10. Like another poster said, make sure you can handle the weight you choose for the duration of the workout. Also, make sure it has a nice wide handle.
  • casirdms
    casirdms Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm going on three weeks doing Kettle Worx kettle bell routine, and it's pretty fun. The site recommends starting with 5 pounds for women, but I started with 10. Like another poster said, make sure you can handle the weight you choose for the duration of the workout. Also, make sure it has a nice wide handle.

My husband just got home with me an 8lb kettlebell and I downloaded the Kettle Worx routines!
  • elcy
    elcy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the Jilian Michaels kettlebell workouts, you will hurt yourself, her form and instruction are HORRIBLE. Google it and you'll see what certified kettlebell instructors say about it.

Youtube has a nearly inexhaustible number of videos with certified instructors giving tutorials and suggestions on workouts, use those.
  • elcy
    elcy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Here is some information on how you can hurt yourself using kettlebells which discusses Jillian's horrible form: http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/articles/2009/04/open-letter-to-celebrity-tv-trainers.html