HELP! SUGAR ADDICT!

Options
mxburke
mxburke Posts: 226 Member
Hey everyone, firstly, i must say that I could be considered a sugar addict. I often find myself craving sweets or candy, or desserts almost every day, its not even that Im hungry half the time or anything, but I just have one heck of a sweet tooth. I used to crave all junk food that existed, however, I have managed to stop eating chips and other items like that, and don't find it difficult to stay away from. Is there any advice you have on controlling this crazy sweet tooth? Any tips? Because this seems to be one of the key reasons that my weight isn't coming off as fast as I would like, and I would like to lose atleast 15-20 more pounds by the end of august! :smile:

Replies

• gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruit... When I have a sugar craving I cut up strawberries and bananas and put a little whipped cream on them. :smile:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    If you stop eating it so often, the cravings will go away. I find that I"m now happy with a 60 calorie dark chocolate bar (which is really only a few bites) when I have a chocolate craving, and I used to be a total chocoholic.
  • jfilon
    jfilon Posts: 80
    Options
    Get a mouthwash that literally kills your tastebuds - that's what I'm dealing with at the moment, and it is actually helping haha.

Just kidding - wouldn't actually suggest that. I agree with the users above me. Fruit definitely helps. I make a large fruit salad (kiwi, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, mango, melon; bananas go bad too quickly) and it usually lasts me for 2 or 3 days. Also, crunchy foods seems to be the winner with me. Invest in apples and snow peas! :happy:
  • injuneer81
    injuneer81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth also. I have been solving my craving with EDYs no sugar added fruit bars. 30 cals each. and Luigis no sugar added Italian Ices. 60 cals each. low cal but good. plus cold ice desserts in the summer are a plus. I usually have a couple at night while i watch the TV. solves a snack craving too.
  • WillyG
    WillyG Posts: 80
    Options
    FROZEN GRAPES

Put a bunch of grapes in the freezer and take out a few and eat them when you have a sweet craving. Freezing the grapes does something, I'm not exactly sure what, but they seem sweeter. It's also a nice cool treat in the heat of summer. It will also help with our fruit challenge (Crazy Canucks). Try them, I swear you'll love them.
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I've found that chocolate soymilk satisfies my after dinner sweet craving. I wasn't crazy about it at first, but now I love it . After reading these comments, I think I'd like to try the frozen grapes too. :happy:

exercise.png
  • victoryismine
    Options
    I to have a sweet tooth. I find that if I pop a stick of sugar free gum in my mouth it helps with the craving. I am having to cut sugar out of most of my diet and find it hard not to eat sweets. Just keep pushing through and you will over come the sweet tooth.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a fellow sugar addict. My only advice is that when you eat less sweets, eventually you crave less sweets. I still work sweets into my calories because right now I know I can't quit them (lol), but I definitely need less to satisfy me. My fave treat is frozen yogurt (one of the more sinful flavors like caramel chocolate- still low in calories and fat) with a banana. You have to practice restraint so that you don't eat the whole thing in one night, but it's doable. Just tell yourself- a little today, a little tomorrow. I wouldn't try to quit them cold turkey if I were you. That's just my personal advice. :smile:
  • shanagregory
    Options
    I am too! I did a test though, I stop drinking Crystal lite. Something about fake sugar makes you crave more sugar. I stopped it for the last 3 days and it's help a lot!!!!! Try to just drink water only for 2 days and see what happens. :) Good luck!
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I'll never quit having sweets. Whenever I've tried, I just failed. Moderation has actually helped lessen the cravings and I need less to be satisfied. I think there's been some really good advice in this thread :happy:

exercise.png
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    if you eat sweets your body gets a sudden sugar rush, then the levels crash and your body reacts by craving more sweets to counter the sudden crash. it's cyclicle. start eating fruits and stay away from the sugar and it will get easier.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I am too! I did a test though, I stop drinking Crystal lite. Something about fake sugar makes you crave more sugar. I stopped it for the last 3 days and it's help a lot!!!!! Try to just drink water only for 2 days and see what happens. :) Good luck!

I had the same problem with Crystal Light! I used to drink a lot of it but I realized I would raid the fridge when I did. I have a friend that drinks gallons of the stuff and all I ever see her eat is candy. I swear I have never seen her eat real food. :sick:
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    That SO could have been written by me...and probably was at one point.
    14 days ago, my husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes...no more sugar for him. Because I'm a total fool, I decided to be supportive and give up sugar too.
    Honestly? NEVER felt better!!
    I do watch my carbs, but I'm likely not considered low carb. I stack up on the proteins and if I NEED something sugary and sweet, I hit the sugar free candies. ( Sugar Free candies have malitol- sugar alcohol- if you are not used to it it can and likely WILL have a laxative effect)

I limit my sugar intake to 20 g or less and I'm absolutely astounded at how do-able it is! The first few days I had a headache, but that was to be expected. Now? I dont even crave sugar, I dont need it, I find I'm eating less and the sugar free candy is being eaten less and less.
    I've been on a plateau forever and it was horrible..depressing..discouraging...ultimately I ended up gaining more the more I tried. I've finally started to lose again and it is slow of course, but I finally feel like I've gotten somewhere.

I've also been reading about carbs a lot. We now stay away from anything made with white flour- any carbs we eat are whole grain or really 'good carbs' and I honestly think that's why I've had less cravings too.
    I know its only bee a couple of weeks eating this way, but I feel great and have high hopes!!