Chicken Parm- Instead of tomato sauce use * ? * Need recs

Options
Processed spaghetti sauce has way too much sodium in it and the acid from tomatoes is not good for heartburn. I am looking for alternatives to make a "chicken parmesan". Ideas?

Replies

• judykay500
    Options
    Check out this site: skinnytaste.com Lots of great recipes there and nutrition values included with recipes.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    You could always make your own sauce or put the chicken over some pasta you have tossed with some chopped tomatoes, olive oil and fresh basil :)
  • shellie1206
    shellie1206 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love that website I use it reliously and there red wine chicken with noodles and broccoli is to die for I also just had there whole wheat pancakes with banana I just started about 4 days ago and soo far the best website for recipes :)
  • mangojh2
    mangojh2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Prego - *Light Smart- Traditional Tomato Sauce, 1/2 cup (120mL) This sauce only has 50 calories! And at Skinnytaste.com her chicken parm only has a couple tablespoons of sauce
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I find that using fresh chopped tomatoes chopped with a little onion, garlic, and fresh oregano (or dried if you don't have fresh) tossed with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar is super yummy. I also sometimes make a little pesto with pine nuts, oregano, and olive oil. You can control the amount of EVOO to suit your calorie needs.
  • ExYoYoGirl
    Options
    If you are looking to bypass tomato sauce altogether, could do a light alfredo sauce --

1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil or grapeseed oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 cup skim milk
    1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth or veggie broth
    1 1/2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour or potato starch
    1/4 tsp. salt
    Pinch of black pepper
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Saute the garlic in oil then combine with all other ingredients except for the cheese, until a smooth consistency is reached. Turn off the heat and add the cheese and mix until cheese is fully melted. This should make approx. four servings.
  • jiggy_gibby
    Options
    Thank you all so much; these are fabulous ideas and resources. :smile:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You could always make your own sauce or put the chicken over some pasta you have tossed with some chopped tomatoes, olive oil and fresh basil :)

This &

"I find that using fresh chopped tomatoes chopped with a little onion, garlic, and fresh oregano (or dried if you don't have fresh) tossed with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar is super yummy. I also sometimes make a little pesto with pine nuts, oregano, and olive oil. You can control the amount of EVOO to suit your calorie needs."

Although instead of Oregano I'd use fresh basil. Tomato sauce is too easy and fast to make to waste money buying it. Get some canned tomato puree or crushed tomatoes in 12 oz. cans. You can saute a little onion, put in the tomato, add whatever salt you like or non if that's your preference, add water if you like to get the right thickness you desire cook for, 10 to 15 minutes add in some fresh chopped basil in the last 5 minutes and you have a simple tomato sauce. If you are eating pasta, this is done in the time it takes to heat the pasta water and cook the pasta and you control the ingredients. Also the cost is very very low.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You could roast red bell peppers and blend them into a sauce; they are not acidic.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    You can make your own home made low sodium spaghetti sauce from tomatoes and spice and everything nice...lol
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Why don't you make your own? I never use jarred sauce. Homemade is easy to make and tastes way better.

This is what I do to make a small batch of plain sauce:
    2 cloves of garlic minced
    one can of crushed tomatoes or puree
    1 tbs olive oil
    salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the garlic at the same time. After 2-3 minutes(when the garlic smells good, before it burns) add the sauce. Add salt and pepper. Simmer for at least 30 minutes. Sometimes I also add a pinch of italian seasoning. If the sauce is too acidic you can add a little sugar to offset it(some brands of tomatoes are just more acidic than others). It's really this easy. Now if you want to go all out, make a big batch of the sauce, add some browned meatballs, browned country style spare ribs, and browned sausage and cook for hours. Your house will smell awesome and you will be in heaven! Now I'm not Italian but my husband is and Italian food is my favorite and to me there's nothing better than a huge pot of sauce with meat.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Make your own tomato sauce. Start with diced tomatoes in a can, you can get them low or even no sodium. That way you don't have to skip on tradition and flavor because of salt :)
  • hopenevins
    hopenevins Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ellie Krieger's chicken parmesan is on MFP (look up recipe on web) and add your own sauce to control sodium. It is about 250 calories per serving and delicious.