Why dont more people learn martial arts?

Options
zorbaru
zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
I was helping out my sensei in a shopping centre display last weekend, trying to bring more students to our school. When he was talking to them he made what i thought was a great point.

People learn to swim so they dont drown if they fall in the water. they do first aid courses to help people that are injured. why isnt learning martial arts to protect yourself from an attack seen as something just as important?

and lets face it. you arent around water all the time, and if you dont know how to swim, you probably wouldnt go near it anyways. but you are around people everyday. so what is more likely? being attacked in the street or drowning in the ocean?

for those of you that dont do it, i would like to hear your reasons why. this will help me (and in turn my school) bring in more students as we will be able to eliviate some of the reasoning that people have.

and if you want to lose weight (and i know you do, thats why you are here), punch "karate" into the exercise database and see what it comes up with. you will be buying those funny white pyjamas in no time.

Replies

• Kdingo
    Kdingo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't because it's expensive.:frown:

I always wanted to but I can't even afford the gym.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I wish I did, but starting (Aikido) has definitely changed my life much for the better. :)
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I love martial arts... but I can't kick....

My genes have more dancing style and kicking *kitten*... :laugh: not your stereotypical asian.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Because Chuck Norris said I didn't need to. :laugh:

Seriously though, would love to try some Krav Maga!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

My genes have more dancing style and kicking *kitten*... :laugh: not your stereotypical asian.

Pick one without kicking!

(Like Aikido -- hint hint :D)
  • eashelton53
    eashelton53 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It's too expensive.
  • kat65
    kat65 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My son did martial arts for two years. I had no interest in it. I prefer belly dancing. Everyone has their own gig.
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    try Aikido, no kicking there
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options

^^^ This....I did Jujitsu for a year when it was free and was provided while I was a student, and I'd love to do it again, but it's a bit pricier than I can justify. Also it's not always easy to find studios...where I grew up we didn't have a martial arts studio within a 30 mile radius of me...and then it was only Karate (I've always wanted to do Kung fu - the nearest studio was over an hour away from me!)
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options

Pick one without kicking! :D

I actually like Wingchun after watching Ip Man... :bigsmile: but... it's expensive. I did kickboxing... that's when i realized i suck at it. Dancing is more my style. :laugh:
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I'd love to, but certainly don't have the expendable income. I can barely put diapers on my son on my income :-(
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I grew up living by a river and fishing in a boat on a lake. I've had a lot more opportunities to drown than opportunities to fend off an attacker.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Because I'm too klutzy and might get hurt.
    And because of the cost and the inconveniece of getting to a class. I prefer exercise that I can do at home or on the streets (ie. running) in my own time.

I'm not too bothered by the thought of getting attacked, perhaps I'm naive, but I live in a pretty safe part of the world and I'm generally aware enough to avoid getting myself into dangerous situations. I am more likely to drown or be attacked by a shark at the beach. Or get run down when I'm out on the streets running.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I want to SO BADLY but the courses are too expensive in my area. :(
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    expense is an interesting one.

i dunno what the costs are like over there, but her in australia the price of MA varies greatly. from as little as $40 per month up to $150 per month and more.

i couldnt kick either when i started. and i did TKD (first) which was kicking intensive. in the end i was quite good at it. The style i do now has kicks, but are all low level (the only time you should kick someone in the head is when they are on their knees). thats the idea of learning something. if we were good at it before you started, you wouldnt need the classes.

Belly dancing is a great work out (ive known a few people that have done it) and i did break dancing for a while, but i was no good at it. but neither are going to help me if someone decides that my face needs a fist massage.

im not saying that people should go out there and train until they are bruce lee. but i would think that it is a valuable skill that everyone should have for their own safety, much like swimming.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options

Exactly! I can't afford to pay attention, nevertheless the exorbitant fees they ask for martial arts classes.
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bluntly, I don't like combat.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I would have a blast learning martial arts. Just can't afford it, unfortunately.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    as little as $40 per month

$40 is no small fee in my world. That can feed me and my boyfriend for nearly 2 weeks. And we scrape by that way to be able to save up for health costs and such. At some point I will have a better job and I will be able to afford fees like $40 and higher without a trouble. But now, that is impossible.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Because I have no interest in martial arts whatsoever....