Chia seeds and what to do with them

Options
I purchased a bag of chia seeds at EarthFare today, but I'm wondering the best way to incorporate them into my diet. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Replies

• sloew
    sloew Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I put them in yogurt, apple sauce, in my smoothies, oatmeal, salad... I've tried just putting it in water and it's doable but I don't care for the texture in water. Esp if it sits too long. kinda gets slimey.. also if you put it in smoothies drink up b/c it makes them thick after a while.. Enjoy! I love my chia seeds!!! :)
  • Sminett
    Options
    I love Chia seeds. I put them in my smoothies. They help me to feel full longer.
    17233086.png
  • haaaleyx
    haaaleyx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Quick question. hahaha it might sound stupid but are these seeds that I've seen a couple people talk about like the same ones you put on a Chia Pet ?
  • BackInAFlash
    BackInAFlash Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I believe they ARE the same ones are used in Chia Pets...I think it's a funny visual to have a Chia Pet in my smoothie!! LOL
  • BackInAFlash
    Options
    How many do you typically "take" a day? A once daily kind of thing or once at every meal?
  • haaaleyx
    haaaleyx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    hah oh okay, I was just curious, thanks !
  • lilfurson
    Options
    I mix a tbsp with 12-16oz of water before I hit the gym for my 65 minutes runs.

I also added them to my bbq pulled chicken the other night to soak up some extra liquid.
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    yeah do what soej said!!!! Chia seeds have so many benefits!!! enjoy!! 2500mg of omega 3's in one spoon ful!!! 3X more antioxidants than blueberries, super healthy, glad you are using them :)
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    my breakfast most mornings consist of 3 tbsp chia, 2 tbsp sunflower seeds, goji berries, hemp hearts, unsweetened almond milk and agave. It reaches a sort of porridge/pudding like texture and is very filling, high in fibre and delicious :)
  • Kassieisproud
    Options
    You guys make me want to go buy some chia seeds
  • 2Big4MyBritches
    2Big4MyBritches Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I make banana pancakes with wheat flour and add them to the mix. Love 'em!
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I just bought them today as well - organic white ones - and it said on the pkg that 2-4 tbsp is a good daily intake. I just had 2 in my yogurt, it was nice! :) Not used to the texture yet, but will probably add it my oatmeal in the morning, then I won't notice as much.
  • tammeegirl
    tammeegirl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I mix my protein smoothie completely first, THEN I add my chia seeds 1 Tablespoon and drink them right away. If you leave them too long they do puff up from soaking up the liquid.....dont care for that. I also sprinkle one Tablespoon on my salad AFTER I am all done making it. I find I have to floss after eating them they are so tiny and you end up with lil black seeds in the cracks of your teeth all day. LOL But they do make me feel full longer, absolutely.
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options
    I mix a tbsp with 12-16oz of water before I hit the gym for my 65 minutes runs.

^^ This

Great for fitness enthusiasts and athletes who want natural energy supplements for endurance sports. I use them for triathlons and other long-distance sports (cycling, running, etc). I prefer them over gels and gatorade and other high-sugar processed "sports" nutrition. I also add a tablespoon or two to smoothies or other blended beverages as well as to breads, muffins, granolas, etc.
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Toast...speadwith almond butter! then sprinkle :)
  • BackInAFlash
    Options
    Thank you guys SO much!!! I'm excited to try them!
  • Calipalm
    Calipalm Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    The first time I learned about Chia seeds, is when i came across this website!

http://runsforcookiesrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/11/oatmeal-love.html

She uses it mainly in oatmeal, but you might come across more ideas on her page? :)
  • LaVieEnRaw
    Options
    I mix them with almond milk and let them soak until plump for a sort of "tapioca pudding" and then I top it with strawberries or bananas! Really great for breakfast!
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Question: Has anyone found adverse effects of these? Since taking them I seem to be waking up during the night with horrible stomach pains and the need to be sick, without being sick?

I can only assume these so far with having them at breakfast more or less the same time each day
  • jenswwjourney
    Options
    take 1 cup frozen fruit and microwave for 45 seconds. mix in 2 tablespoons of chia seeds. stick in the fridge for 30 min = chia jelly