Who statrted at 1200 but raised their goal?

Options

Replies

• jeccalou
    jeccalou Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I do not have much to lose. I lasted at 1200 about two weeks. it wasnt that i was hungry I just learned that is was not right for me. I would rather succeed at a heathy lifestyle that just lose (scale) weight faster. My mfp goal is now set at my tdee and I strive to eat at least or a smidge above my bmr. That gives me a deficit of 400-600 cals a day. It works, I feel great, and I lose consistently.
  • Marsha427
    Options
    MFP set my calories at 1500, but I always went over. I put myself on the 1200 calorie plan, so if I go over by 100 or so, I should still lose. It seems to work for me.
    I can only do 5 minutes of exercise,, per my doctor, so I don't burn calories this way.
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    I started at 1200 calories and did not eat back my exercise calories either. I've bumped it to 1400 calories, but on my off day I don't eat less than 1500 calories. With my exercise I usually eat 2000 calories. Problem is I am not losing. I'm maintaining. My goal for the next few weeks is to have less than a 1000 calorie deficit each day (according to my BMF). I think I will start losing if I have less of a deficit. The last time I lost was when I went away and did not track and I'm 100% positive I did not have near a 1000 calorie deficit). I'm just having trouble eating that much and I can't make myself decrease my workouts.
  • Mylissa6
    Mylissa6 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 2012dancingqueen
    2012dancingqueen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain all these acronyms you guys are using... like MFP, TDEE .. etc?
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Can someone please explain all these acronyms you guys are using... like MFP, TDEE .. etc?

MFP=My Fitness Pal
    TDEE=Total Daily Energy Expenditure
    BMR=Basal Metabolic Rate
    You can Google them to learn more. Hope that helped :)
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    ME! I eat 1800 calories a day :)
  • tatiousmarie
    Options
    I just did this last night.
    I was doing the 1200, and lost a couple lbs, but have been stuck at 173 for ages.
    Last night I looked up my TDEE, which was around 1900 (didn't count my workouts into this),
    and my BMR is around 1600.
    I work out nearly every day, for at least 30 minutes a day.
    I had upped my calories to 1350 on MFP, but last night decided to up it to 1550.

Hopefully I'll see a difference.
    And I'll be making sure to eat all my exercise calories as well, though they're slightly under estimated due to NTC not having a calorie counter, and I have yet to get a heart-rate monitor.

Also planning on eating every 2 hours or so, also starting today.
  • FlexAppeal79
    FlexAppeal79 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Interesting....Did anyone have INITIAL weight gain while the body got used to the additional cals? Then weight lose?
  • 2012dancingqueen
    Options
    thank you so much!
  • 2012dancingqueen
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and 163. MFP set my cals at 1200. I just started last week and I knew after a couple of days that 1200 was not going to work for me. I was hungry all the time and not bored hungry, real hungry. Yesterday I changed it to 1300, and I actually ended up eating under 1200 yesterday. Today, however, I have already surpassed 1400. My activity level was also much higher last night and today. I know all to well what happens if I don't eat when I am hungry - I end up reaching the pig out breaking point. :noway:

Ha... i totally understand the real hungry vs. bored hungry.
  • happygirl338
    Options
    Love this thread :)
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I did this a few weeks ago and thought it would be a good idea for a post with more people telling what they raised their calories to and why! You do NOT have to eat the bare minimum to lose weight! Some do just fine, but it is not for everyone :]

I'll start. I thought as small as I am 1200 would be the max and that is what mfp put me at. They had my maintenance around 1700. But I found out my TDEE on a rest day was 2200! So I now have my goal set to 1400, but always adjust it with my TDEE so I rarely eat under 1800 anymore and the fat is still falling off me :] Many days I get up to 2400-3000 calories burned and can still eat around 2000 to lose.

What about you?
    as soon as I raised my goal from 1200 to 1500 I lost a ton of fat. pounds arent dropping off fast but my body has changed so much I really dont care what the scale says anymore. when I go back and look at the pics from three months ago and I have only lofst 15 lbs I am amazed! I have lost 5 inches off my waist. I sometimes eat more that the 1500 cuz I burn off a ton of cals a day.
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    About a year ago I started on MFP at 1200, but I tried and failed 3 times eating that much. Every time I'd lose about 6lbs and then gain it all back. But this time I decided to take it slow and eat 1400 a day and this time I'm 10lbs down and I don't feel like I'm depriving myself or dieting. (:

1200 a day just wasn't enough for me, I was always hungry and wishing I could eat more and craving chocolate.
  • girl_afraid82
    girl_afraid82 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I upped mine a couple of weeks ago so I'm now eating roughly 1300-1400 a day. I had been stuck on a plateau for a few weeks but this morning I'd lost nearly 3lbs.
    It may be a coincidence, but probably not! My BMR is around 1300, but my TDEE is only around 1700 (desk jobs suck!), so this seems a good balance for me now.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I started at about 1600 and that gradually decreased as the lbs melted away. I got down to 1200 and stuck with it for a couple of months, but I found it really difficult even with eating my exercise calories.

At that stage I changed my goals to a 1lb reduction per week which gave me a few more calories to play with - I'm now allowed 1540 per day. I usually eat back my exercise calories.

I don't regret the change for a minute - this is a marathon, not a sprint. I'll get there sooner or later as long as I keep heading in the right direction.
  • Bekzness
    Bekzness Posts: 122
    Options
    Apologies if this is already posted somewhere, but I found a nice little on-line calculator for this which also goes into in depth descriptions of each area :)

Here is the link: http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm

There are lots on google, but I liked this one with is descriptions. Hope this helps those trying to work out their goals.
  • trainlikekatniss
    Options
    First I started with 1200 per day because I wanted to lose weight quickly (2 pounds per week). After a few weeks I realised that it's not possible for me to do that and I changed my goal to 1 pound per week. Now I'm allowed to eat 1620 cals per day and it works for me and I'm losing weight. :)
  • libertysquare1
    Options
    So I am thinking that I need to up my calories? I burn about 300 calories or more a day and I have mine set at 1200, every time I workout it gives me extra calories to burn. So do I up my calories? or do I eat that amount for the day. I can''t seem to lose anything.. :(
  • lovesweetlove
    Options
    I spent about 8 months trying to loose the last 20lbs....eating from 1200, then went to 1350 and then 1500 and bounced up and down 3lbs...whined, cried, complained...you name it. Then one day, I read an excerpt from "New Rules of Lifting Weights for Women" and it totally broke down why eating less and exercising more reeks havoc on our bodies...why I was then in starvation mode and wasn't loosing weight. So based on the information I raised my non-workout caloric intake to 1800 and on my workout days I eat a minimum of 2000 but have gone as high as 2500. I have one cheat day on the weekend where I don't track. It broke down why CARBS ARE IMPORTANT AND PROTEIN TOO...and I adopted the 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat ratios. I eat no less than 30gr of fiber a day. I always drink a protein shake after every workout.

I now lift way heavier, never feel hungry or deprived, I stopped carb binging, and what I have started doing is loosing fat, gaining muscle, have lost inches and the weight loss is pretty steady. So, I am a huge proponent of EATING MORE to WEIGH LESS.

Wow, I just did the calc for my TDEE and it is 2472...so I now see why I couldn't loose a thing at 1200 or even 1600 cals...WOW...I WAS SO STARVING MYSELF!!!

Really informative. I think everyone gets so focused on less and less cals but don't realize they are starving themselves!