Metabolic Typing

Options
Has anybody tried eating specifically for their metabolism or tried the metabolic typing diet? I took the test about a year ago and discovered that I'm a protein type metabolism, and it really helped me understand my appetite, cravings, and the way my body works. That being said, I found the actual diet part to be very restricting (especially since I'm an extremely picky eater), so instead of going into it 100%, I just decided to try cutting some of the foods I ate quite often that my test results said may not be so great for me. For example, I used to drink a lot of orange juice (organic), but I found out that it's really bad for the way my body works. After a few days of not drinking orange juice, I instantly felt like a new person. A year without it, and I can't even remember why I liked the stuff. I've tried having a glass when I go out to breakfast with my family, but it instantly results in pain and nausea. I was amazed that just the orange juice alone could make me feel that way.

So how about any of you? Have you tried this diet, and if so, were you surprised by some of the things you shouldn't be eating/drinking?

Replies

• Felidae_1981
    Felidae_1981 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    How/Where did you take the test? My personal trainer wants to do this Saturday, but I'm not sure how it'll work... I hope he can give me guidelines for food - I can lose weight, but not much fat. Despite running and strength training :/
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I've heard of this... Jilian Micheals book, winning by losing (I think, her 1st), went into it a little bit. I'm a protein type too. I do really well on low carbohydrate, low fat, high protein diets. I have so much more energy, now that I've given up most of the foods that don't go well with my type. It's amazing how different you can feel when you find the foods that are holding you back!
  • Felidae_1981
    Options
    Doing an online self-test I am pretty sure I am also a protein type. I'm not sure about some answers - like I think today I had wayyy to much red meat for lunch and I felt bloated and yuck in the evening (fine during afternoon though).

Will go over this further with trainer Saturday, who will also go over general nutrition with me. I already warned him that I'm a very picky eater :P
  • LOUISEC90
    LOUISEC90 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've just taken the test and it said I am a protein type as well. I'm quite keen to try this type of diet but I can't seem to find any foods which I should definitely avoid. Do you have any tips on what I shouldn't be eating?

• Felidae_1981
    Options
    So my test with the trainer ended up being rather inclonclusive - so he put me as "mixed type"... I think me looking at it beforehand influenced my results...

I try to cut out some carbs though. For example I make a pasta dish that calls for 6oz of pasta. I used 2oz of pasta and 4oz of cut up zucchini. I don't really "like" zucchini too much, but after being cooked it blends in nice with the pasta and meat.

For protein - chicken, chicken and more chicken - and sometimes I like red meat, i.e. steak.

I am by NO MEANS following a low carb diet. Just trying to minimize them, for example eat them for breakfast/lunch rather than dinner.
  • Rose_Oh
    Rose_Oh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Here is where you can take the test... very interesting!

http://www.naturalhealthyellowpages.com/metabolic/self_test.html
  • Felidae_1981
    Options
    So my mixed type "diet" is supposed to start. I was given daily items to rotate, but problem is I don't LIKE most of the items on the lists. Will talk that problem over with trainer this weekend :(

I also wonder if I even should change anything. I've been losing weight fast, inches slowly (but losing nonethesless) with what I've been doing. But I wanted to do more and now I don't.

Hard to please? YES :P
  • Mission2Me
    Mission2Me Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I am starting the metabolic typing. I am a protein type. today was the first day that I was supposed to see where I was on the protein type scale. I was supposed to do only a select amount of vegetables and only the meats allowed. I did well until dinner. I had dark meat chicken (breaded with ground almond) with a bit of green beans. I think I may have had the balance wrong because I instantly went into feeling weird and dizzy, slight headache. I instinctively started craving something sweet. It felt like I wouldnt make it if I didnt eat it. So I ate something sweet and I feel a lot better now. I think I will do better tomorrow now that I know what to watch for.