Are you honest with your food diary?

Options

Replies

• serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I do track everything yes. I don't see the point in lying, you're only lying to yourself really.

I wouldnt worry too much about what other people are doing in *their* diaries. Focus on doing the right thing with your own.

Good luck!

I couldn't agree more.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm a little less strict than I used to be. I can't even think of things I don't track. I don't track black coffee. Never have. I don't track anything that's less than say 15 or 20 calories, like spices, etc. Unless it's in a recipe that I want to duplicate. I don't track samples at the grocery store. It happens so infrequently and they are so small that I don't worry about it.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I don't intentionallly omit an item, my goal is to track everything. Maintaining a food diary is a great way to plan, and to understand your food/fuel intake. If, for example, I feel overly hungry or tired, I review the reports of the prior days, both food and exercise. I also review the food diary for "spikes" in macros. It is essential to record as accurately as possible for accurate reporting to help you change or modify, your game plan to be fit.
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I log everything (except my water, I forget that little glass at the bottom of the screen).

I normally log in advance too, so I can spread my calories throughout the day.
    When I do that I can also see where I need to cut back for the day or where I can squeeze in a treat.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I track everything too. Even if it is 4 "little" Hersheys kisses!! I Gotta keep on track as I am changing my entire life!!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Yes, I track everything... And even if I have had something after I have finished my entry for the day I will go back and update just so I can see the kind of damage (or progress) I have made.
  • ydeleon
    Options
    I track everything. What's the point in lying? You may not see it in the numbers, but it'll show on your body. I rarely look at other people's diaries. I'll only look if someone asks why they're not losing, or ask for some kind of feedback regarding the diary.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    When I log, I try to log everything to the best of my ability. Times I have fallen down have been when I've got over 300kcals left and after completing my diary I may have a chocolate - 70kcals. I have to say, I don't get too bothered by things like that.

I'm trying to not log all the time though, as someone said, this is a lifestyle change and the thought of logging everything I eat for the rest of my life...well, it makes me lose the will to live a bit!

Regarding what other people do, to my knowledge, what my friends eat, or don't eat, log or don't log, hasn't made one jot of difference to my weightloss!
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I track everything because it allows me to be accountable. It would a great disservice to myself & it would defeat the whole purpose of trying to make lasting changes in my life.
  • knelson422
    Options
    I just started writing it down on paper, easier for me to do than going to the computer every time I eat. Then I enter it in my notes at the bottom and do a quick add calorie. Tracking EVERY bite has made me more aware of what I am eating. I am home all day with 3 young kids, it is easy to eat the rest of their pb&J without even noticing I did it. Tracking every bite has made me much more aware. I am also writing down how I feel when I eat, so that I can work through emotions rather than eat them all of the time (how do I log eating emotions???:wink: )
  • Kerchinga
    Kerchinga Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I track everything! I find it really helps (even if I've had a bad day and gone way over my calorie allowance) to see how I have done for the week and where I need to improve. Also helps me see if there are certain times of day or week when I am more likely to eat unhealthily. That way I can be aware of it and plan against it! :)
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Yes, I track everything...it helps to keep me on track.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I track everything, even my supplements and one of my oil-based medications.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Yup. I even track "Just Blew It"...thanks to who ever added that to the database!
  • jaynemaria
    jaynemaria Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I track everything and even over estimate on somethingsby a few calories if they are on the database rather than me scanning them, just to make sure I dont go over my intake.

As others have said why lie its only yourself that your lying to.
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Because this is a lifestyle for me, I go through "stages" just as I do with everything else! There are times I can focus on MFP and then I am 100% rigorous and write down every single calorie. But there are other times when other things in my life are more central, so I just use MFP as a vague guideline.

This covers me as well.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I just started writing it down on paper, easier for me to do than going to the computer every time I eat. Then I enter it in my notes at the bottom and do a quick add calorie. Tracking EVERY bite has made me more aware of what I am eating. I am home all day with 3 young kids, it is easy to eat the rest of their pb&J without even noticing I did it. Tracking every bite has made me much more aware. I am also writing down how I feel when I eat, so that I can work through emotions rather than eat them all of the time (how do I log eating emotions???:wink: )

In the Food Diary there's a "note" section next to the water counter. Maybe you could record your emotions there.
  • upwiththesun
    Options
    I track everything and most of the time I am over my calories, I average 2100-2500 calories a day. I love to eat, that's why I run
  • kak2m4
    kak2m4 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes, I track it all, even though sometimes I hate to. My first two days using MFP I had McDonald's (a huge cheeseburger, fries AND a shake! :blushing:) and as much as I hated to put it into my diary, I did it. I do have McD's occasionally, but I make sure I get small things and that I don't go over my calories. I think it helps with accountability.
  • JonoK
    JonoK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm overly honest. I don't want to go over, so I count everything and round up - always!