Are you honest with your food diary?

Replies

• I track every single thing that goes into my mouth. Even if i allow myself to have a cheat day i still track everything even if the stuff goes over so i know and see it. I think you only cheat yourself if you dont track everything.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Yes I track everything.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    I track every bite, even the bad stuff (like yesterday's state fair crap).

Another thing...if I'm not sure how many calories are in the meatloaf I had at that resturant, I will pick the highest calorie meatloaf in the database (instead of the lowest). I found that cheating in favor of eating fewer calories is not doing myself any favors. Assume the highest and then you have a little cushion for errors.
  • Rosbrook1985
    Rosbrook1985 Posts: 130 Member
    Bump
  • Yep. Even the 4 french fries and one mozzarella stick I stole from my daughter's dinner at Friendly's, she didn't notice though.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    I track every single morsel. Have been doing so since day 1 and in the middle of week 18 now. I have to be accountable to myself and if I didnt, no one would suffer the consequences but me.
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    I track everything, even this Saturday just gone which was a total write-off! Nearly double my recommended :noway:

I'm on this site to keep a track of me, and if I'm not honest with myself, how am I supposed to do that? If I cheat on the food diary, I'm only cheating myself and making it harder to lose the weight.
  • Yes... I think it helps that I am totally anonymous site for me. I have purposefully not "friended" on this site people who I know through Facebook are using it too. I know me, I'd start leaving off foods I'm embarrassed I ate. Plus, totally embarrassed that in two years I gained back 35 of the 45 pounds I lost. I'm sure my friends realize I put on weight... but I don't want my pride getting in the way of losing it.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    I track about 98%. I don't always track condiments like ketchup, though I mentally keep track of that. I figure as long as I'm aware of it, it's probably okay. What I've started doing, though, to help, is to create "meals" and "recipes" for things like how I fix a PB&J, which I do the same way every time. It's a lazy way of making sure I won't forget something like the jelly. I also don't track any drinks unless they have calories in them.
  • I do, plus your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Are you 100% honest when completing your food diary?

I ask because i always tend to track every single thing i've eaten even if it is like a whole 100g bag of crisps or a whole loaf of bread! I rarely though see my pals on my profile ever have a bad day but they never lose weight. Are they tracking everything?

I must admit I have recently(when i have bothered to track it) not done very well and stuffed my face silly hence why i've only lost a couple of pounds here and there.

Do you track everything?

Yes, I track everything, but I no longer weigh often because I get obsessed with the scale and then I stress and that stalls my weight loss, so I randomly weigh myself now and record my loss at that point.

Here lately I am losing inches (fat loss) but not really losing pounds and I am happy with that. I would much rather wear smaller clothes and could care less about the poundage.

Now, I have been getting some flack about the amount of calories I consume, but I eat when I am hungry and don't eat when I am not and I no longer count calories, so I am not worried about that either.
  • i track everything. even a reeses miniature i had last night..lol...i still eat a sweet(non-healthy) here and there bec ause i feel if i deprive myself i will indulge when i am around it. I have junk food all around me all the time. So if i don't track everything and become accountable, then i will fall off the wagon.
  • fififox
    fififox Posts: 360 Member
    Yes - generally. I try to log in advance so i can allocate amounts like 150g meat or 100g rice, or whatever so that means I can accurately stay within rather than eat and then find I have overdone it for the day. I also went back to weighing most things as I had a period where I stopped losing and I lost nothing or increased weight but I must have been over-estimating. If I don't have the time to go back and log something really small I don't think that matters as long as I am well within my goal for the day and know that it won't send me over. I do try to be honest - I have to say that at times I find it difficult to log as different entries of the same food on the database can give very different calorie counts - I may at times go for an in-between or lower one if I am tight for the day...If I have lots still to use I might go for the higher one to discourrage me from eating too much more. so I can be selective the odd time if it is about fitting in something. But I agree with ohters, you can't cheat yourself and I do try my best to do this well.
  • Isn't there an option to make your diary private?

Personally, I'm not really big on looking at anyone else's food diary (or other people judging my food diary). I've only lost 2 pounds so far and have skipped a few days of logging here and there due to busy days and lack of access to a computer.

Stick to yourself and this won't even be a problem to begin with, IMHO.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 708 Member
    Absolutely--if I fudge on my diary, that's like cheating at Solitaire, except the reward is extra pounds. I count everything, even if I'm 500 calories over.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Just yesterday I thought, I should log EVERYTHING--because I wasn't logging the supplements I take everyday. So now I'm logging everything I put in my mouth.
  • I make the effort to track everything. Usually if there are blank spaces in my diary its because I went out and I know that I went way over my daily calories so I don't spend the time trying to figure out what to add.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 650 Member
    I track it all unless that particular day is a 'cheat' day. That said, I don't track things like sugarfree gum which is around 5 cal per stick.
  • tsartwork
    tsartwork Posts: 2 Member
    I lost weight with Quick Weight loss. The reason I did was to be accountible to somenone other than myself. I have lost the weight that I could not get off for over 15 years. The most I could lose on my own was 10 pound and then I simply put that and more back on. QWL really works if you have problems keeping to a plan on your own. I joined this sight basically from advice from QWL to monitor my food intake now that I have lost the weight.
  • anave285
    anave285 Posts: 67 Member
    I'm bascally honest. I usually eat dinner late (8 p.m. or later). So if I submit my diary for the day and still have some calories left over, I may eat something within that range and not track it, but that's just because I know that I didn't go over. If I do go over, I definitely track them the next morning.