vegans/vegetarians what do you eat?

Options
I consider myself a vegetarian but try to be vegan most of the time. I am a snacker and I need to eat quite a bit to keep me full. I would like to stop eating so often throughout the day. I usually have 3 meals and 3 snack, but I need meals that I can take on the go and that fill me up and that are good. Any ideas, I need to lower my sugar intake? What do you typically eat in a day?

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of stuff and snack all day.....lots of my food is on the go type stuff. I actually eat a wider variety of foods now as a vegan than I did when I ate meat. You can send a friend request and peek at my diary if you want.
  • axesesh
    axesesh Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Some of my meals to go:

1) Organic food bar - protein bar (22g protein, quite tasty and is very filling for me)

2) Apple with peanut or almond butter

3) Nuts in a bag with some raisins/dried fruit pieces

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian and also eat eggs, string cheese, cottage cheese, Fage greek yogurt (it is amazingly filling - I can't live without it) but if you're vegan, it is very hard to find any protein source other than nuts.
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    if i have a protein shake before i'm "on the go", i feel satisfied for longer. (protein bars don't have the same effect for me though)
    i eat flax crackers also or chia seed (soaked in water so it becomes a gel) and since the fiber content of that is high, it is very filling also - and packed with b-vitamins which many of us vegetarians and vegans are lacking in!
    :)
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Different dips with veggies, veggie pizza's sometimes made with pesto, chick peas can be made into lots of things, egg salad sandwiches, really for vegans which I am about to start doing snacking is better. For vegan I would suggest, nuts and seeds, grains like quinoa, topped with veggies, I love hummus, smoothies.... Really you have so many more choices.
  • charliedingus
    Options
    i get most of my calories from fresh, whole fruits, then salad and/or veggies at night.
  • nomveggies
    nomveggies Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check your health food isle or health store--a lot of gluten free products are vegan as well. Fruit and nut bars, protein bars, chickpea crisps. Rice cakes are great too. And I always have dried fruit and nuts in the cupboard, and some soy yogurt in the fridge.
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I make sure that every snack and meal has at least a little protein and a little fiber, which helps me to stay full. I always keep some sort of bar (usually Luna) in my purse for emergencies.
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    For a great fix-ahead, on-the-go lunch: stuff a spinach wrap tortilla with whatever fresh veggies you have on hand & hummus. Mmm! (e.g. romaine, shredded carrots, diced tomatoes, cucumber, and roasted red pepper hummus)
  • jaw86
    jaw86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love hearty veggie stews, they tend to keep me full longer and are more satisfying. One of my fav recipes for vegetarian chili (from a Good Housekeeping cookbook):

4 tsp olive oil
    1 medium butternut squash (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into ¾-inch pieces
    3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into ¼-inch pieces (Or approx. 2 cups chopped baby carrots)
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 Tbsp chili powder
    2 garlic cloves, crushed with garlic press
    1 can (28 ounces) plum tomatoes (or diced tomatoes)
    3 jalapeño chilies, seeded and minced
    1 cup vegetable broth
    1 Tbsp sugar
    ½ tsp salt
    2 cans (15 ounces each) black soybeans, rinsed and drained (Or one can of black beans and one can of butter beans, but you can use whatever beans you like)
    1 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
    plain nonfat yogurt or nonfat sour cream (optional)
    1. In nonstick 5-quart Dutch oven or saucepot, heat 2 tsp oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer squash to bowl; set aside.
    2. In same Dutch oven, heat remaining 2 tsp oil. Add carrots and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 10 minutes. Stir in chili powder and garlic; cook, stirring, 1 minute longer.
    3. Add tomatoes with their juice, jalapeños, broth, sugar and salt; heat to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring to break up tomatoes with side of spoon. Stir in beans and squash; heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until squash and carrots are tender, about 30 minutes.
    4. Remove Dutch oven from heat; stir in cilantro and serve with yogurt or sour cream (optional).

Has approx 260-300 calories per serving and yields about 6 main dish servings.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I don't like to label myself as a vegetarian, pesca-something or other and what not--but I'm no longer getting meats (beef, pork, lamb, chicken) and though I do and am eating wild caught fish and tuna and organic vegetable & flax seed fed eggs-- I now eat probably 70% raw fruits and veggies, 5% nuts & seeds, 10% grains and sprouts,10% cooked (roasted/broiled/baked/ rarely fried foods and 5 percent fish, tuna and eggs (FAMILY small farm, organic, vegetable & flax seed fed, totally free range and cruelty free only--for now).

I have NEVER really liked salads, but now I just LOVE them and eat them everyday with a major meal. Loaded with vegetables, mushrooms, sprouts, fruit and everything "CLEAN" but the kitchen sink. I used to HATE tomatoes and bananas, now I LOVE them. I used to HATE sweet potatoes, now I love them. I used to HATE lentils and now I love them.

I'm not basing this on any particular "formula" nor anything I've heard or read, but what my body is begging for. I watch FATS, because vegan or veggies can load up on FATS in their foods (eating way too many sweets and non-animal goodies) and I'm NOT going from one type of junky FATS to another so-called good type and over-do anything anymore--EVER!

My body is now begging for juicy sweet fruits, loads of vegetables and vegetable juices I make at home and water. My body also cries for sprouts and grains and various types of nut milks and products. I've just started this fabulous adventure in good clean eating, just a month ago--so there is lots to learn AND I've Forever released and rejected LOST 15 pounds of FAT from my body already by eating this way, and I'll NOT be locking myself into ANY box at all. I'll eat what my body wants and needs as I'm learning to "hear" it more and more each day. You can see from my Food Dairy what I eat daily now.
  • Redheadllena
    Redheadllena Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My favorite snacks aside from meals are-

-Apple or Rice Cake with Almond Butter
    -Sweet Potato Chips (From a company called Food Should Taste Good- these are amazzzzing)
    -Any amount of fruit (dried, in smoothies and best of all, fresh!)
    -Veggies- sugar snap peas, carrots, celery. You can top with peanut butter to make them feel more filing.
    -Lite or Regular Kettle Corn cause you can "eat a lot" without it being many calories
    -Small bowl of cereal, just because it's one of my favorite foods and I don't often have it for breakfast
    -Nuts/Seeds- pistachios, cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds etc...even dark chocolate covered almonds
    -Healthy home-baked muffins- like zucchini chocolate or banana bread ones made with honey and apple sauce instead of sugar and oil
    -Baked chips & salsa or guacamole (avocados= good fat!)

That's just a few, hope it helps :)
  • tracysch108
    Options
    I am an overweight vegetarian.
    I eat dairy.
    I think probably I have over done it on butter, cheese, pasta, and sugar over the last few years.
    I will be looking more towards eating veggies, fruits, whole grains and skim dairy .