Addiction and withdrawls

Options
I can be good food wise for 4-5 days then I start getting withdrawls. Shaky, jitterey, can't concentrate,thinking about food constantly, imsomnia(I've been up since 1am).
Then that becomes a day that I end up eating everything in site. I really do need help. This is miserable!!! Please. I hate hate hate this. I just want to be healthy

Replies

• jetlbomb
    jetlbomb Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist but you could be getting these symptoms because you don't have the right nutrients in your new diet. Perhaps try taking multi-vitamins. If that doesn't work then it might be best to see a doctor who can help you through the addiction.
  • xaniza
    xaniza Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It really sucks at the start. =( After a few weeks of your new routine you'll start feeling better & more in control. Just keep remembering where your goals are. Don't beat yourself up if you have a brownie or something, but don't make one slip up an excuse to binge out on the whole day.

Good luck <3
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Maybe you should seek some professional help. Many of us are all addicted to food, but getting shaky and jittery seems a bit more severe than I would think is "normal." Best of luck to you.
  • HockeyHolic
    HockeyHolic Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    While I don't get shaky and jittery, I too will do great for a bunch of days and then it all goes to pot. I've been losing and gaining the same 6 lbs for weeks now.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you aren't eating enough. Perhaps you should lower your weight loss goal rate by a notch (from 2 pounds to 1.5 pounds or 1.5 pounds to 1 pound, etc.) and see if that helps you.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Rather than cutting out everything, try cutting down on one type of food such as carbs and eating more of another, such as protein? Slowly replace the food you crave with other foods.

You can also eat the foods you crave, just eat them in moderation and try to portion control. Do you crave one thing in particular, a typr of food or just food in general?

Most 'diets' fail because people believe they have to cut everything out when all they have to do is change how they eat.

A lot of it can be psychological as well. If it is a big problem can you speak to a nutritionist/dietician who can help you develop a better relationship with food?
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Treat it like an addiction and up your calories to a maintenance level then back them down slowly rather than go cold turkey.
  • woodmetal
    Options
    I have that problem with sugar! I always have. I am finally seeing less of it!But it has taken 40 days! and I still eat some sugar, more than I need! I got candy for valentines day and I feel it calling me!I try to use Stevia so I do get the sweet taste but not the sugar and it helps!

After spending There weeks at Mayo in the Pain Rehab I can tell you the front runner in Mind Body Wellness says it takes a full twenty one days to make a habit begin to appear!
  • ineedhelp18
    ineedhelp18 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    not found?? I'm here!!
    I eat around 1900 a day.

Cereal and milk 450

Chicken or salmon 300
    Veggies 200

Chicken/meat 300
    pasta 210
    red sauce 140
    veggies 200

Some sort of dessert sometimes. Chocolate pudding cup, chocolate chips etc.

If I can give anymore info that will help let me know
  • Leesseebee
    Options
    What are you withdrawing from?
    I am no expert, so please take the following anecdote and advice with a grain of salt: I have a sweet tooth-although really bulk is what I go for-the sheer volume of food helped and sometimes continues to help shove down some serious emotions. Therapy helps and so does meditation, or just breathing and prayer-not necessarily to a god, but just asking the world to help you get through whatever it is you are undermining your efforts with.
    You need to understand why you are craving what you are...are your calories too low, are you being too strict, etc?
    Why do you eat the foods you eat?
    Why have you decided to stop?
    What are you getting out of this practice?
    I would look into support groups, like overeaters anonymous, if that is what you think you need so people can support you through withdrawals.
    It sounds like you get really paniky when you get these symptoms and the only way you know how to address them is to shove whatever you can back insider only to redo the same thing another time. Again, I don't know enough, so I council you to look into withdrawals, but if you know these symptoms are from withdrawal, why are you trying to undermine your own progress just to restart a few days later?
    Is there something you can do to calmly ride the wave? Something calming-positive self talk? Reminding yourself that this is normal and will pass?
    Just some thoughts here...good luck.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I see that you are new to MFP, so I assume that your dietary changes are also new. if you were a heavy soda pop or energy drink user, your withdrawals are truly chemical. I can't address them, except to say they will lessen with time. Really, time is the only solution I know. When you feel like you simply can not resist eating, do your very best to eat only healthy foods, even if the quantity is excessive. This should stop 'feeding' your addiction, and eventually will give you the control you want / need.

Others may say "just don't give in". I just know that different techniques work for different people. This may seem like an insurmountable setback to you, but really, you have already done a lot of hard work, just deciding to make healthy changes to your life. Try exercising more (will tire you and release "feel good" chemicals), sticking to your eating plan as best you can, and reach out to your MFP friends, (try surrounding yourself with those who have had and / or are working through similar "addiction and withdrawal" experiences). You will get through this!

Hang in there!
  • ineedhelp18
    Options
    I will eat anything in site.
    Brown sugar out of the bag!!! (so gross but I crave it)
    Cereal
    icecream
    bread
    pasta
    chicken
    veggies
    Peanut butter
    I'll eat intill I feel sick then continue.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary I am sure you will get some good advice on food choices to help you with this. :flowerforyou:
  • paulcer
    Options
    That looks well balanced, Personally, I would have to trade in the cereal and milk for something with either more bulk or fewer calories. Try almond milk unsweetened at 35 calories if you want to stick with the cereal. That will free up a hundred calories for something else. Are you set to lose 2 lbs per month?
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Caffine, Carb, and/or Sugar withdrawal can all be affecting you depending on what you were eating and what you are eating. I found Carb Withdrawal to be the worst. Lasted the longest and caused the most distress. Drink lots of water. Stay away from sweets, even low cal and artificial sweeteners. Don't try to give up caffine and carbs/sugar at the same time! You may kill someone (or yourself)! Its UGLY. It can take weeks to get through it but its worth it.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    You sound like me when I eat too many carbs and not enough protein. Google hypoglycemia.
  • paulcer
    Options
    I will eat anything in site.
    Brown sugar out of the bag!!! (so gross but I crave it)
    Cereal
    icecream
    bread
    pasta
    chicken
    veggies
    Peanut butter
    I'll eat intill I feel sick then continue.

It does seem like you could use someone to talk to. At times in my life when I reacted to food this way, it was usually to sooth stress and self hatred.

When you feel one of these episodes coming on, drink a glass of water and get out of the house. Perhaps there is something you could do with your free time to get you away from food?

As the poster above said, find a group you can sit and talk with such as over eaters anonymous.

Good luck and big hugs.
  • ineedhelp18
    Options
    I've lost over 100lbs and now I gained 28 pounds in 7 weeks. This is horrible.

I have tried eating eggs for breakfast and don't find them filing at all. I do drink almond milk
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I am hypoglycemic and thats what happens to me. You can have episodes without having the condition. Especially when there is a major chang in your diet. The only advice I can give you is:

When you eat sugar, eat it with a protein. This will allow your blood sugar to even out.

When eating carbs, try to eat whole grains.

If you are hungry, eat until you are satisfied. Then stop.

Protein with every meal including snacks.

These things will allow your blood sugar to even out and not have the awful yucky side effects.
  • ineedhelp18
    Options
    Thank you all. I will try

:(