First Diet Grocery List

Options

Replies

• DariensGirl
    Options
    A nutritionist that i went to mentioned the following "plan" for the grocery store: Only shop the outer 'ring' of the store and skip the aisles. Generally the meat, dairy, raw veggies and fruit etc are on the outer ring, and the processed less healthy food is located in the aisles.
    I have found it help me with impuse buying of those things I need to avoid!
    I will have to try that but picturing my local store I can already tell that that is true. 1;0
  • DariensGirl
    Options
    I use a meal planning service. She creates a meal plan for the week, supplies all the recipes AND the corresponding grocery list. :bigsmile:
    Is the food they suggest expensive? Does it cost money for this service?
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You need as many frozen veggies as your freezer will fit. If you don't like cooking I suggest the small pre sauced veggie boxes by green giant - I think. But if you like to cook buy a lot of different types of frozen veg, and some chicken broth or other soup/sauce packets to spice them.

You will also need protien and grain. I don't eat pork or fish regularly, so I use beans and chicken. I also eat a lot of Quinoa and brown rice.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I only shop for myself weekly and I spend about 60 to 80 a week on groceries. I stick to the outside of the grocery store (meat, produce, and dairy) This shop makes 35 complete meals (which is 3 regular meals and 2 snacks a day)

chicken breast
    tilapia filets
    tuna
    cottage cheese
    celery
    bannanas
    mixed vegatables pack
    whole grain bread
    oatmeal
    peanut butter
    string cheese
    plain yogurt
    onions
    alfalfa sprouts
    bean sprouts
  • alyssaanagram
    Options
    Definitely fresh if you can but if not frozen. Canned veggies usually have added sodium.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Almost all of the grocery shops have weekly ads that you can look up online. I make my grocery list every two weeks, and start by making up the dinner list. I use the ads to find out what sort of veggies are on sale and go from there. This week, Sunflower market has napa cabbage, bell peppers, and onions on sale, so I'll be making stirfry at least once. Squash is on sale too, so roasted veggies with chicken is on the list. I picked up a handful of whole chickens when they went on sale last month, it's easy to cook one up in the crockpot and have shredded chicken to throw into any meal for added protein.
    The thing that helps me most is really dedicating time to both making the meal plans and making the actual meal. If you can put aside the time to chop up your veggies yourself, it saves you a lot of money and is much healthier (and tasty!). I don't buy frozen or canned veggies anymore, and I'm much happier for it.
  • allysonb80
    allysonb80 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes it costs money for the service but I find it to be very affordable and it keeps me from eating out so the money I spend for her is money I otherwise might eat out. So it balances out. It isn't any special food. (Like Jenny craig or anything like that) It is just a girl who lost a lot of weight and has a large base of recipes. Just like if you opened a cookbook and found a recipe. But she does all the planning making life easier. I work full time and Im a single mom. I don't have a lot of time to meal plan.
  • Bonnieelizabeth
    Bonnieelizabeth Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I research what I want to get and look for the lower carb and salt items. If you can't afford the best vegetables then you can rinse them and that helps with the salt!!
  • Mrsairforce
    Options
    1. 3-4 cases of bottled water.

2. Fresh/Frozen vegetables

Baby spinach
    Baby carrots
    Celery
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Onions
    Bell peppers
    Tomatoes
    Cucumbers
    Kale

3. Fresh and frozen fruit

Bananas
    Apples
    Cuties California Mandarins/Clementines
    Pears
    Peaches
    Berries

4. Meats

Lean hamburger
    Lean ground turkey
    Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    Tilapia

5. Grains, nuts and cereals

Whole grain pasta
    Whole grain breads
    Whole grain cereals
    Oatmeal
    Almonds
    Pistachios in the shell
    Brown rice
    Natural peanut butter

6. Dairy and Eggs

1% Low fat milk
    Low fat cream cheese
    Low moisture, part skim mozzarella
    Low sodium, light string cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Egg whites

7. Miscellaneous

Mrs. Dash
    Low fat, light mayonnaise
    Yellow Mustard
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    100 Calorie snacks
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    When I 1st started I made small changes. Switched breads/pastas to whole grain, started using frozen veggies instead of canned, switched to low fat/2% cheeses, switched to Greek yogurt and started getting everything I could without added sugar. Items that I couldn't get without added sugar I'd read the label and go for things that didn't have sugar in the 1st 3 ingredients. I learned how to read labels so I could make better healthier choices.
    I still primarily shop this way, but now I also go for things that are all natural or minimally processed when possible. Along with watching Sodium content and Saturated fat.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Staples for my boyfriend and I when we go grocery shopping:
    Protein (Ground Turkey, Chicken, and Seafood)
    Vegetables (Bell Pepper. Spinach, Carrots, and Celery)
    Fruit (Bananas, Apples, and Mangos)
    Drinks (100% Fruit Juice, Almond Milk, Coconut Milk, Soy Milk, and carbonated water)
    Dairy (Low Fat Cheese Sticks and Yogurt)
    Whole Wheat Products (Bread, Past, and Brown Rice)

We kick some "quick" items in the house such a boca burgers and green giant healthy steamer bags.

We belong to a wholesale club, so we have a lot of bulk items. We look around our cupboards before EVER going to the grocery store so we see what we actually need to keep from overbuying.
  • DariensGirl
    Options
    1. 3-4 cases of bottled water.

2. Fresh/Frozen vegetables

Baby spinach
    Baby carrots
    Celery
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Onions
    Bell peppers
    Tomatoes
    Cucumbers
    Kale

3. Fresh and frozen fruit

Bananas
    Apples
    Cuties California Mandarins/Clementines
    Pears
    Peaches
    Berries

4. Meats

Lean hamburger
    Lean ground turkey
    Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    Tilapia

5. Grains, nuts and cereals

Whole grain pasta
    Whole grain breads
    Whole grain cereals
    Oatmeal
    Almonds
    Pistachios in the shell
    Brown rice
    Natural peanut butter

6. Dairy and Eggs

1% Low fat milk
    Low fat cream cheese
    Low moisture, part skim mozzarella
    Low sodium, light string cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Egg whites

7. Miscellaneous

Mrs. Dash
    Low fat, light mayonnaise
    Yellow Mustard
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    100 Calorie snacks
    This is really great, thank you!
  • mamalade1
    Options
    I would start with some meal planning. Maybe just buy for one or two meals to start with, unless you're an awesome long-range meal planner (I'm sure not). The person who said shop the perimeter is bang on.
  • mofireman
    Options
    Protein (Ground Turkey, Chicken breasts, Tilapia filets, Tuna/Water, Chicken/water)
    Vegetables (Organic greens, Canned and frozen veggies)
    Fruit (Bananas, Apples, Grapefruit, Oranges)
    Drinks (Almond Milk, Coconut Milk)
    Dairy (Low Fat Cheese Sticks and Yogurt)
    Whole Wheat Products (Bread, Pasta, and Brown Rice)
    Stuff (Low Fat Mayo, Protein bars, Almonds "plain", Agave nectar, Egg substitute, Boca-burgers)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I like liquid egg whites. Still allows me the protein from the eggs, but less the calories.

Or, on a budget, you can buy the whole eggs for much cheaper...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've switched to ground turkey, leaner and cheaper than ground beef..

I like turkey and turkey bacon is tolerable (of course, not as good as a pig :smile:.) Do you miss the "beef" flavor?

Ground turkey is sometimes actually higher in fat than beef. Never assume; look at the label. Ground sirloin, and ground round are made with leaner cuts of beef. With leaner beef, you don't need to use as much.

As far as the flavor .... when ground turkey is used in spicy dishes (chili, tacos, enchilladas) .... the difference in flavor is minimal. If you made a "turkey meatloaf" .... then you would notice big time.
  • DariensGirl
    Options
    Any suggestions on a picky husband?
    I love veggies but he hates, This has prevented me from eating healthy for awhile because I did not like makeing two seperate meals so I would just have something bad for me that he loves.
    He hates all veggies except broccoli and cauliflower smothered in cheese (Steamer meals we love)
    I would like to make stir fry sometimes but he would not eat it if it had veggies or anything healthy.
  • chrissy10taylor
    Options
    Yes it costs money for the service but I find it to be very affordable and it keeps me from eating out so the money I spend for her is money I otherwise might eat out. So it balances out. It isn't any special food. (Like Jenny craig or anything like that) It is just a girl who lost a lot of weight and has a large base of recipes. Just like if you opened a cookbook and found a recipe. But she does all the planning making life easier. I work full time and Im a single mom. I don't have a lot of time to meal plan.

WOW! That would be great, sometimes I'm just stuck on what to make. I need to google that in my area!
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    .Definitely fruit and veggies from the produce section, making sure to get things to make an awesome salad.

Changed over to a whole wheat bread.

Protein always includes turkey bacon, turkey sausage, ground turkey, and chicken. I buy the 99% lean ground turkey breast.

As for water, skip the bottles and invest in a brita water system or something like it for ecology purposes.

Lo-fat milk, eggs and egg whities. String cheeses (lo-fat variety), laughing cow cheese.

I changed all condiments I could over to lo-fat or fat-free and reduced fat crackers for soups and cheeses.

For treats, I buy skinny cow ice cream products but dont eat them every day. I also buy a bag of mini candy treats, peppermint patties, or such and only eat one a day if my calorie count will allow it.

I do carry around granola bars or protein bars in the car so I wont be caught out hungry and have the urge to hit a drive thru.

Also a god multi-gran cereal.

Just a few of my regular shopping list.
  • allysonb80
    allysonb80 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I say cook what you want. If he doesn't want to eat it he is a grown man - he can make his own meals!