Feeling Cold All of the time

Options
So, prior to starting my weight loss journey, I was always warm. I kept the heat set to about 65 degrees all day, and then down to 60 degrees at night.

Since I've been on the weight loss program (about 4 1/2 weeks), I notice that I am always getting cold and hiking up the thermostat.

I keep my calorie intake at least 1200 a day, plus I'm trying to work out at least an hour a day. I drink about ten to twelve 8oz glasses of water a day. Over the previous 3 1/2 weeks, I've lost 7lbs (hopefully more this week when I weigh in on Wednesday).

I'm just wondering if this is normal.

You'd think with the extra activity, I would be warmer than I was before.

Just makes me scratch my head and go "huh?"

Any ideas?

Replies

• elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Totally normal! What you describe is EXACtLY what happens to me when I start losing weight. Eventually you acclimatise :) x
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Ever since i dropped 125#, I'm freaking freezing all the time and its been 2 years since I started the weight loss...havent gotten used to it yet!
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Being a woman of an, err, "particular" age, I was always running hot...until I lost 20 lbs! Now, I'm freezing most of the time. I live in Florida, go figure! I guess some of that padding was keeping me warm.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've had the same experience of feeling cold more often.
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    Well, fat is a great insulator...
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Aside from losing the "insulation", feeling cold is also a symptom of ketosis. Chances are, you went from a diet very (too) high in carbs to one that is not very high in carbs?
  • kacey7283
    Options
    I'm ALWAYS cold now and was a "sweatsy Betsy" before. I've only lost 7 lbs but my diet has to be the reason. I hear you never get used to it.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm always cold. I'm the only person I know that sleeps with an electric blanket in the middle of the summer!

I used to be the person who was always hot - I mean, I would have windows open in the dead of winter because I was so dang hot. Now? I'm freezing to death ALL the time!

I should mention I've been in maintenance for 18 months and it hasn't gotten any better. :(
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem (down about 98 lb total) and a friend suggested it might be partly caused by an iron deficiency. I had my blood work done and was deficient in vitamin D & iron so I've started taking both of them in pill form daily. I have noticed a huge difference. I used to sit at my cube with space heater blasting, a jacket on, and a wrapped up in a blanket and now I only need a light jacket. No one else in my office is bothered by the cold, so I know it was not a general atmosphere issue!

Edit: "

If your body iron is low, greater iron consumption translates into more body heat, which is a good way to counteract your cold hands and feet. " > http://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/Cold_hands_and_feet__The_sign_of_iron_deficiency__a400.html
  • Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Also anemia / b-12 deficiency. A good multivit should help at least a little.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Aside from losing the "insulation", feeling cold is also a symptom of ketosis. Chances are, you went from a diet very (too) high in carbs to one that is not very high in carbs?

I know this isn't the case for me (well, the ketosis part, anyway). I eat a ton of carbs everyday.
  • TheAnie
    TheAnie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Actually, I'm the reverse. Before the weight loss I was always freezing. I'm still always pretty cold but I'm much warmer than I used to be. Especially on days I exercise.

I'm the weirdo you see carrying a sweater with me in the summer.
  • asfischer
    asfischer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what has happened to me... it's weird being cold... I was ALWAYS so hot all the time... not I always have a sweat shirt on and socks and i still feel cold... I'll take it though... bye bye fat!!
  • GreyhoundGuru
    GreyhoundGuru Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses. I'm so glad to know that I have not lost my mind :-)

And, also, about the carb thing. I may have reduced carbs since I started dieting, but I'm not on a low carb diet. I get a healthy portion of carbs on a daily basis.
  • Biomisty
    Biomisty Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was always hot natured until I lost 85 pounds. Its been about 7 years and although I have gained some back I am still cold unless its 76-78 degrees. There are some health issues like low iorn that maybe to blam as well. Make sure you are getting all your nutrience in but if so.. totally normal.
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Try cayanne pepper tablets. Very cheap( couple bucks) and it works. A doctor, years ago told me to do it because I was cold from anemia. It really does up the thermostat. Walmarts has them.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    LOL! Me too!

I have never been cold in my life until I started loosing weight.

I mentioned it to my Doctor in January. He laughed and told me that this is normal.

The way he explained is that the extra weight I had been carrying around were a constant strain on my body that required my body to work hard all the time, thus generating heat. For me, this resulted in high blood pressure in addition to keeping me warm in the winter.

As I lost weight my body did not need to work so hard. So now it is not always working hard enough to keep me warm.

As per my Doctor, it is natural to feel cold when it is cold out. There is not built in ability to not feel cold. Even for Canadians like me!

I do not like feeling cold as I now do. But I will take it over being dead or paralyzed from a stroke any day! :-)
  • GreyhoundGuru
    GreyhoundGuru Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Try cayanne pepper tablets. Very cheap( couple bucks) and it works. A doctor, years ago told me to do it because I was cold from anemia. It really does up the thermostat. Walmarts has them.

I will try that! Thanks!
  • ckerce
    ckerce Posts: 25
    Options
    You dont have as much insulation anymore! I am cold all the time as well! Put on a jacket and enjoy your slimmer bod!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I thought it was all the darn cold water I'm drinking. Only my face gets hot now ;-)