Half-marathon tomorrow -- encouraging words, please!

Options
2»

Replies

• barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thanks, y'all!!!!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Is this your first? Either way, if you had to cut your training, try to pace yourself as close to your longest run's pace as possible. Try not to go out too fast and conserve your energy for the last 5k of it. You're going to be nervous and then have a
    rush of adrenaline in the beginning, but try to hold back at first.

It is normal to get butterflies the day before and I'm sure you won't suck and will finish strong. Get some good rest and remember, the hardest part is getting over the mental. Good luck!
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I did it! I did it!

Even though I was up all night with food poisoning, I decided to just go for it anyway. I figured the worst that could happen was that I would decide to quit without finishing.

But not only did I finish the race, this was the first time I ran the entire thing start to finish (which is usually impossible because my post-four-babies bladder makes me stop at every other mile!).

Then again, the fact that I didn't need to pee should have been an early warning sign. I ended up with severe dehydration and passed out as soon as I got home. I spent the rest of the day in bed trying to get my electrolytes back up.

I'm super proud of myself for getting through it despite how I was feeling. I know now what some athletes mean when they say you have to "push through the pain," I did! Thanks so much for your words of encouragement, they really helped me when I was ready to call it quits!!
  • ccbing
    ccbing Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I did it! I did it!

Even though I was up all night with food poisoning, I decided to just go for it anyway. I figured the worst that could happen was that I would decide to quit without finishing.

But not only did I finish the race, this was the first time I ran the entire thing start to finish (which is usually impossible because my post-four-babies bladder makes me stop at every other mile!).

Then again, the fact that I didn't need to pee should have been an early warning sign. I ended up with severe dehydration and passed out as soon as I got home. I spent the rest of the day in bed trying to get my electrolytes back up.

I'm super proud of myself for getting through it despite how I was feeling. I know now what some athletes mean when they say you have to "push through the pain," I did! Thanks so much for your words of encouragement, they really helped me when I was ready to call it quits!!

Way to go!
  • fishercarrie
    Options
    Good luck!! That is awesome!!!
  • ckerce
    ckerce Posts: 25
    Options
    Do what you can do and dont make yourself feel worse. Your best is better than not doing any at all! Good luck!!!!!
  • anne018
    anne018 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    wow!! a half marathon! that must have tooken alot of work! That sucks that you're sick and that you are behind on ur training :( but look on the bright side... after your half marathon you will feel great, accomplished and healthy (even tough ur running in the cold and gonna be al sweaty ).
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! :) good luck
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    keep off the free sugary drinks (if there are any) the could screw your blood sugar up. stick to banannas etc. also take in water and remember that it will finish :-) one step at a time youll get there + keep at your regular pace - if that is slow then go slow :-)
  • marckilgore
    Options
    Awesome - congrats!