Food scale? Yes or No?

Options
:smile: Please help. I want to know how many food loggers use a scale for accurate measuring~do you, or do you guesstimate portions?

Replies

• amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I couldn't live without my food scale
  • luvnthenewme
    luvnthenewme Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I use my food scale faithfully!! I am a horrible judge of portion size!! The same goes for measuring utensils.
  • mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Yes. Good for counting calories. Good for accurate recipes. Every kitchen should have one.

BobbieLee1959, do you have food scales?
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Yes. Good for counting calories. Good for accurate recipes. Every kitchen should have one.

Couldn't imagine this journey without it -- make sure you have one with a "zero" function so you can add items to the bowl/plate. Saves a lot of cleanup on measuring cups.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    :smile: Please help. I want to know how many food loggers use a scale for accurate measuring~do you, or do you guesstimate portions?

Never guess, guessing can mean the difference of a few hundred calories when it comes to stuff such as cheese and the higher calorie foods.

I use a digital scale that weighs in grams, I would not be without it.

Watch the following YouTube video - this was posted on these Forums by somebody else, but I have copied and pasted the link for you because after watching it (it's only around five minutes long), you will seriously think about buying scales. The video shows just how easy it is to misjudge, even by a tiny bit, it will send your calories out and could mean the difference between losing weight - or putting weight on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I weigh my foods until i have a good feel for portion sizes, then i stop weighing.
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I used to guesstimate weights, and boy, was I wrong!

I bought a really cheap set of digital kitchen scales and they've been my saviour.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    After one day of weighing food I was shocked at what an actual portion size was versus what I thought.......reality check for sure, I think it's a very useful tool
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i think it helps a lot. things like nuts it is hard to know how much you are really eating unless you weigh it.
  • lilfurson
    Options
    I have one at work and at home. Without it I wouldn't be able to know how many calories are in home cooked food.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I use it to measure out meat that I have to cut!!! That way I know how many ounces I'm getting. I'm really bad and figuring our how much to eat and actually underestimate a lot!!!
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    YES

I say this because I tend to undermeasure. LIke we tend to think 3 oz is more than it really is and undereat and miss out on calories. If you dont want a food scale, buy the portioned vacuum packed meats that are already weighed and tell you the calories. Always go by the cooked weight, not the raw weight unless you are eating it raw. Most meat portions are gonna be 3 or 4 oz.

Also, measuring cups! I have decided to buy a set for work, because my visual eye always underestimates a cup! For instance, something like rice, spread on a plate I would think is 2 cups but it is really only one cup, and as a result, I think I have taken in more calories than I really have.
  • mszebra
    Options
    I couldn't live without my food scale

This. The food scale has been the #1 most helpful thing with regard to my weight loss. No joke.
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine counting calories without a food scale. same as eating something that someone else cooked, all u can do is guess.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    If you don't, do it!!!
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS use my food scale. Now that I use it all day every day I have realized that prior to using it I had no real idea what a portion size was. Now I know.
  • pearceda
    pearceda Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would vote Yes....I found that I was way over on portion size. Recommend one that can zero out the container as well. That way you just add your plate and then can add individual items very easy.
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i am going to be getting one soon. it just seems more accurate, especially when it comes to things that are harder to eyeball than a cup of milk or what have you
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Yes, I compare the so called "cup" to the actual weight and most of the time if you followed the guesstimate for how much a cup would be on the package you would often be eating way more than the actual weight portion.
  • journeytoahealthy51
    Options
    I bought a digital scale at Wal-mart for $10 a year ago. Could not live without it. I use measuring spoon/cups when I can, and scales for anything that you cannot measure accurately by volume.