Question for people with desk jobs...

Options
So for those of you with desk jobs. Do you have any tips on keeping up good posture and engaging your core when sitting at your desk?

I struggle with this. After a little while, I check and realize I am sitting horribly. I am sure this doesn't help at all. How do you keep up with sitting up straight?

Replies

• danicamper
    Options
    I have a desk job and fortunaly my key board is on an adjustable tray so I have it as far up as it goes so that I have to reach a little bit. It seems to work to remind me that I need to be aware of my body position. If you dont have an adjustable tray try sitting closer to your desk so if you slouche you will touch your desk and will be reminded to sit up straighter.
    -D
  • abbeyl11
    Options
    Believe it or not, I actually tried standing up at my desk this morning for a little while. Obviously I can't do it all day, but I found myself way more productive in the time that I was standing up first of all, and I could tell that my body was more engaged over all. I probably looked ridiculous standing around doing paperwork, but hey...laugh if you want...they won't be laughing when I'm skinnier than them will they!?!?
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    a lot of people i work with sit on those great big rubber work out balls. no back support but it helps with their core they say.
  • ckapes
    ckapes Posts: 31
    Options
    a lot of people i work with sit on those great big rubber work out balls. no back support but it helps with their core they say.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    post it note...SIT UP STRAIGHT!
  • ckapes
    ckapes Posts: 31
    Options
    The Swiss Balls are great for core support.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I don't do this all the time but where I have a bad back if it's bothering me sometimes I wear weight bands or tummy sinchers that make me sit up straight.

Don't forget your Keggles :P
  • KelliHarrison
    Options
    I was just going to suggest that.
    It should help with posture. It keeps you awake and alert because you are always moving around and it definitely helps if you can train yourself to tighten your stomach/core muscles to keep you sitting up straight!

I got one - but it isn't that great for this purpose - it is a weighted (with sand) Gold's Gym Stayball. I'm going to get a different one to use at my desk!
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

lol like this idea...

I personally have to remind myself daily...minutely

I think I'll steal the above
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    Raise your monitor up a bit, that worked really well for me, or lower your chair. You cant see things as well then when you're slouching lol. I like the post it note idea too though.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    As far as posture....

Take some shortened suspenders, attach one end to the back of your bra, and the other ends to your panties.

When you slouch...........you get a wedgie! :blushing: Pick your wedgie enough times and you'll sit up straight.

No, I've never done this, but you can't say that you'd disagree with me on this concept! :huh:

:bigsmile:
  • 4jenniferk
    4jenniferk Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Actually..... this is recommended for at least an hour or so a day. I've read that your back will hurt after the first day but eventually you will get used to it. For me.... I don't rest my back against the back rest. I get up and down all day long though. Found the post it comment amusing:)
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    I move my coffee or water to the other side of my office, that way I have to get up and walk to it......
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I want to get a fitness ball to sit on! but for now, I try to remind myself, maybe a Post-It would help...hehe
    plus I hate seeing my gut stick out when I look down so that's good reminder ;)
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

zYup right below your computer or on your phone where you will be constantly reminded!!!
  • alapointe
    alapointe Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Get a lumbar roll for your chair. I have this because I have a bad back and it almost always makes me sit up straighter.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Awareness.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    you can actually get chairs that hold the balance balls :) Target has them, and they are online also... :) Wish I could have one here....
  • Strobins05
    Options

lol like this idea...

I personally have to remind myself daily...minutely

I think I'll steal the above
    LOL, I'm stealing too! : )
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    For good posture:

Here are "at your desk" yoga moves. These are great for relieving tension too..
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/videos/yoga-pilates/5-min-yoga.htm?sssdmh=dm17.558940&esrc=nwftn110711&email=1290104