Food scale? Yes or No?

Options

Replies

• Catplumb
    Catplumb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i'm a bit of both - some things i weigh, but others i go with my instinct!
  • Jujubie
    Jujubie Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    When I first bought the food scale, I was shocked by how horribly off I was in estimating portions. I' getting better at it but still use the scale to confirm. That way, if I'm somewhere with no scale, I feel That I can guess much better than before. It is really easy to use and no extra dishes to wash.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I used one for about 80% of what I eat. otherwise it's measured in a cup.
  • nikbolok
    nikbolok Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Absolutely..... when I guess I'm wrong 99% of the time. Also, know how much your soup bowls hold--- I just learned that I have been underestimating by one whole cup!!!!!!!!!!! UGH!
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale, use it daily at first until you intelligently estimate. It should be a required tool for anyone trying to improve, you'll be happy you got it!
  • woodmetal
    Options
    Okay Dumb Question..... How do you log the calories then by weight?? I use measure cups and spoons but never thought about a scale! I am not losing like I had hoped so maybe i am not doing this right!
  • GLOROD68
    GLOROD68 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think using a scale is great! I have been using one since March 2011. I am more aware on the portions of food I am eating.
  • ladylaine
    ladylaine Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: YES I LOVE MY FOOD SCALE IT ALSO HELPS ME WITH PORTION CONTROL
  • Famzav8
    Famzav8 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    YES! I spent about $25 on one when I first started on here and have been really happy with it. You can guess what 4 oz of chicken looks like, 2 oz beef, etc...... but once I saw it on the scale I realized that I was not anywhere close.
  • fififox
    fififox Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! After about 4 mths of mfp, weighing all my food, I finally decided that I would start judging by eye to save time as I felt I would have a good idea of portion sizes. After 2 weeks of gaining or not moving I went back to the scales. I thought I was really being accurate, but I am sure now that I must have been off because once I started weighing again I started to drop again.
  • court182
    court182 Posts: 307
    Options
    YES! I have become a food scale additct; I weigh/measure everything!
  • floshideaway
    floshideaway Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    YES, YES AND YES. Guessing will put you back where you started. No matter how good you think you are, you are not. There are only a very few fortunate, those who have been at it for years who might possibly guesstimate, but you are not one of them, otherwise you would not be asking. You decided to take the healthy route, do it right, it will become second nature. Good luck,MFP is the best site for support, we are all here to help.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've always estimated, but I've always had an uncanny eye for portions and proportions. It's my only superpower. :wink:
  • Machdude
    Machdude Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Absolutely YES! Not having one is most of the reason I'm on this site losing weight. I both measure and weigh everything as I am not always accurate with my "guestimates". I love to cook so I'm used to measuring ingredients accurately and even though I cook regularly I still measure to insure consistent quality in my menu items. I have noticed since I started tracking things some items are very crucial, such as foods with high calories, fat, and sodium. Somtimes being off as little as 1/2 oz can mean 150+ calories.
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Yes! Bought mine this weekend at Best Buy. Didn't want to spent $50 on a scale, in love with it or not. But Pres. day weekend it was on sale! Now I've been using it for 2 days and LOVE it!! Don't know how I went this long without it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Perfect+Portions+-+Food+Scale+with+Nutritional+Calculator+-+Silver/9902407.p?id=1218192431054&skuId=9902407&st=food scale&cp=1&lp=1
  • deniseselah
    deniseselah Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I used to guess until I got a scale last week - yikes! I was way off. A lot. I LOVE my digital scale - got it for $15 @ Amazon and there are probably cheaper ones too. I use it several times a day.

ETA: I REALLY wanted my food scale at the wedding shower I went to today!
  • akjstyles
    akjstyles Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I use my food scale for almost every meal. It is so much more accurate then trying to guess what a certain portion should be.
  • Narisong
    Narisong Posts: 191
    Options
    We have 2 :-) We weigh everything !
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I do both. But, I usually weigh things in the beginning to get an idea of how much things weigh. Half an ounce of cheese, for example. I was floundering before I got it.