Smelly Guy

Options
I have been training for a 5K for the past 3 weeks with great success. I have dedicated myself to running at our Gym every other day regardless of the excuses I can come up with not to. Sometimes I go straight after work, right out of bed, and I'll be honest, I don't shower before my workouts. The other day on the treadmill I had a little "exhaust" slip out mid run while I was next to a woman that my wife knew from her neighborhood as a child. I said excuse me and kept on truckin.

Yesterday I was running side by side with my wife and finished my 5K before her. I went to sit in the steam room to recover a bit. My wife told me later that night that the same lady came over and asked her if she had to run next to "Smelly Guy". My wife defended me telling her how mortified I was that it had happened and that I was in fact her husband. Not a big deal to me, but maybe it is, because ever since my wife told me about being labeled "Smelly Guy" I have run different scenarios through my mind of how to approach this lady. Any suggestions?

Replies

• tephey
    tephey Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it to much. I wonder if she was just looking for a friend to hang out with at the gym and thought the story would be a great icebreaker with your wife. I'm sure she is just as mortified as you are now. I wonder how her foot tasted. : )
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I've had the misfortune of having the smelly guy (or girl) next to me on a cardio machine. Normally it's bad breath, but sometimes it's stinky clothes that haven't been washed in a couple of weeks (or at least it smells that way). I think if someone let out a really stinky fart, I'd actually move to another machine. I am breathing hard enough and don't want to have to inhale fumes, personally.

I go to the gym right after work, but I make sure to add fresh deo when I change into my workout clothes and my workout clothes are always clean. Heck, I even change my workout socks every other day and they have to pass the sniff test before I will wear them that second day.

Yes, that woman is now mortified, I am sure. She probably shouldn't have said anything to your wife, but sometimes people tend to have foot in mouth syndrome.
  • kgarman
    kgarman Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    !@#$ happens. Don't worry about it. We all fart. It all stinks.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Just let it pass. (haha, sorry, couldn't resist.) Seriously, she is probably just as embarrassed as you.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    She sounds like a VERY immature lady.......I mean really??
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options

^^ this^^
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I so wouldn't worry about it everyone does it and some are just lucky to have it silent. Don't let it change your workout.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Except mine. They smell like lilacs.
  • GW1970
    GW1970 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    get her to pull your finger before doing it next time:tongue:
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Sometimes gross/embarrassing things happen at the gym. If that lady doesn't understand this, she simply isn't working hard enough.
  • Roadkill742
    Options
    Thats funny! You appologized, your conscious should be clear. If anything consider stalking her just to gass her again. If she diden't like polite she'll love the alternative!
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Biggest thing is DONT let it stop you from doing what you want! I agree with everyone else about dont worry about her. If she has a problem then she wont be next to you. My hub was in the army for over 20 years. That man swet buckets while working out, and probably did let one go a time or two. And like she has not let one go in her whole life? yeh right!
    Jac
  • slvrblt89
    slvrblt89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I say crop dust her on a daily basis.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Run outside. Then you can let em rip without a worry.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    You're at a gym....probably 80% of the people there are smelly in some way (and don't you just love the smell when you enter the gym at a busy time? :sick: ). I wouldn't worry about it, and I wouldn't say anything to her. Perhaps as mentioned she now mortified also because it turns out you're married to her friend and she just insulted you! Just do what you go there to do - work out and get fit!
  • harley47920
    harley47920 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Flatulence is a normal body function. It happens to everyone. If someone tells you that they don't "fart", then they are lying.

Sounds like the woman needs to explore other interests if she has nothing else to talk about. Seriously.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Sometimes gross/embarrassing things happen at the gym. If that lady doesn't understand this, she simply isn't working hard enough.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Now that she is mortified, and rightfully so, I'd make a point to run next to her at the gym. Really make her feel uncomfortable.
    I don't mind being the smelly girl at the gym. If it keeps people from jumping on the treadmill next to me, I'm in.
  • really3857
    Options
    So you're the smelly guy at the gym and you're mad at her for saying something about it? What you need to do is clean yourself up so you're not stinking up the place anymore when you workout. People have been kicked out of gyms for being the smelly guy.

If you talk to her at all it should be to apologize.

I always wondered how people could get so rank that they're asked to leave the gym over their bo. Thanks for giving me some insight into the mind of the guy who thinks it's okay to stink and that the people who complain about it are the ones who are wrong.
  • baldric1331
    baldric1331 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    so what if you do a smelly lol, try living smelly all the time.

Yes i wash ect but even after washing and getting out of the shower/bath i can smell myself and no matter what i use i still smell its a medical condition for me but trust me it dont bother me over time gotten used to it so if it was only the one time screw her and say sorry if you want but i would not bother im sure shes prob done just as bad before so dont worry about it

If shes got a problem with it then she has a problem as long as you dont who gives a damn
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    why do u have to approach her at all ..let her be the one to approach u or run off she is the one that should be ashamed...and if it does come off I would simply laugh and say "I cant believe you remember that" and walk off...really think about it shes a grown woman and she has nothing better to do than gossip and talk about how people smell