How long to recover from one bad calorie day?

Options
I gained about 3 pounds this weekend, largely due to the anniversary dinner date including a half bottle of champagne. Even though I exercised 45 minutes swimming, I still gained over 2 pounds! It is so easy to put the weight back on. I know it'll come off, by logging every food and exercising. I think it will take 4 or 5 days to lose that 3 pounds. How long does it take you to lose 3 pounds or so after splurging for a day (or two)?

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine, just get back on the wagon. After a day or two it's only water weight. You'd have to eat a TON of food to gain 3 pounds of fat in such a short time.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to meet some kind of deadline?
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    It's probably some water weight. In order to gain 3 lbs of fat you'd have to have eaten 10,500 calories and not burned any of them off! I wouldn't be too worried about it. Just get back into your routine, and don't let that one meal define you. I had a huge juicy (probably cooked in butter) steak and champagne last weekend, and just got right back into my routine, and my weight has been steady. Don't stress over one meal :)
  • honeydoozy
    honeydoozy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Well, if you had an overindulgent *day*, remember that some of that 2lbs is certainly water weight. Alcohol and salt (yum!) will cause you to retain some water in your tissues. If you've had a good week, and one "bad" day, I doubt the impact will be huge, really. Remember, you have to eat 7000 calories to gain 2 lbs.

Did you? :ohwell:

The only other advice I can give - get back on the wagon today and be good now. Heck, it's your anniversary - those are getting more and more precious and rare in our society these days, so CELEBRATE! :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • danicamper
    Options
    I am so glad someone posted about this! I noticed that when I weighed in one morning at 134 and updated my weight on MFP accordingly. After 1 day of eatting poorly I weighed in the next morning at 136. I have noticed that I tend to fluxuate by about 2lbs on any given day, which makes updating my weight feel like risky business :-).
    -D
  • LoseSyra
    LoseSyra Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    In response to some inquiries. I don't have a specific weight loss deadline. I've got around 20 lbs to go, and would like it to be gone by swimsuit season (July). My indulgent day was around 2300 calories (not 7,000 thank goodness). MFP says I should be eating 1,200 calories a day and I'd say I'm usually around 1,500 a day. Thanks for everyone's input!
  • lindseykp
    Options
    I am the same way! One day I'm at 170 then next I'm at 172! I never now if I should log it or not because I will just change the next day. So now I only log it if I have lost weigh from my last lowest weight. If it goes up a pound or 2 I don't log it, because it might just be water weight. And since I am always under my calorie goal and workout every day, I know I can't be gaining! Right?!
  • mmarzipan
    mmarzipan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just get back on track with your journal and don't worry too much. If it's any help, I weighed myself just once a week on my weight loss path: "weigh-in Wednesday" is what I called it. and NEVER during that special week that ladies have due to water retention. Everyone deserves to enjoy themselves, just remember that tomorrow is a new day and a new chance to keep your dietary balance.
  • Goldenbast
    Goldenbast Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how your body works. I Spike, so I have a surplus of calories every 7th day. It seems to be working for me so far, I lost 4 lbs from last week's weigh in. There are 'cheat' days as well for some people.....above all you should be enjoying yourself, if you are miserable you likely won't stick to it faithfully.
  • erinsmith1983
    erinsmith1983 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    because weight fluctuates its best to only weigh in one a week first thing in the morning and record your dry weight.