Starvation mode hysteria

Options
123457»

Replies

• EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    and for the record, MFP and sites like it are NOT the place to learn.

Where might the places to learn be ?

What do you want to learn?
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amiles21693
    Options
    I'm currently enrolled in a Nutrition and Meal Planning class in my college. When you aren't receiving enough calories your metabolism slows in order to store fat so you don't die from starvation, it holds the fat in sort of a reserve. However, this only works up until a certain point until your body begins to HAVE to eat away at the fat in order to survive. That's why people in 3rd world countries, etc are so thin. Your body can only reserve so much before being forced to eat away at those reserves.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I'm currently enrolled in a Nutrition and Meal Planning class in my college. When you aren't receiving enough calories your metabolism slows in order to store fat so you don't die from starvation, it holds the fat in sort of a reserve. However, this only works up until a certain point until your body begins to HAVE to eat away at the fat in order to survive. That's why people in 3rd world countries, etc are so thin. Your body can only reserve so much before being forced to eat away at those reserves.

and if you do the math and look at how much metabolism is reduced, its easy to see why this slow of metabolism doesnt matter.
    WORST case it is about 10%, and thats for a LEAN man, its much less for someone overweight.
    so you drop calories a bit more, and.. its like it didnt reduce at all, the loss continues.. although once you have dropped low enough, you also start to lose lean body mass... at this point (for everyone, not just men) the challenge becomes to maintain LBM while continuing a caloric deficit to force the body to burn fat... of course this means activity that doesnt exceed the rate the body can metabolize fat... and why someone on a PSMF diet shouldn't be doing cardio.. but whatever.
    To be honest I never want to share what I know because for me to put anything useful on here, it becomes a huge post... I could probably write a book on it, but It wouldnt be my own research, just a compilation of other research regurgitated again. Im sure because I abbreviated that into a few sentences, someone will take it out of context and *****.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    http://jap.physiology.org/content/12/2/230.short

Here's a study showing BMR dropped by over 20% during severe caloric restriction, so I have no idea where you got this 10% number from, or why you're even pushing it like 10% isn't a very significant reduction in overall metabolism. A 10% drop in function is HUGE.
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    http://jap.physiology.org/content/12/2/230.short

Here's a study showing BMR dropped by over 20% during severe caloric restriction, so I have no idea where you got this 10% number from, or why you're even pushing it like 10% isn't a very significant reduction in overall metabolism. A 10% drop in function is HUGE.

"function"?? define function.
    a 10% drop in the number of calories burned is no big deal, especially since it bounces right back after you start eating normally again.

and i was incorrect, the limit was 30, 10 is what the average obese person loses.
    read chapter 9 of this PDF its in paragraph form, references for his sources are at the bottom.
    http://www.files.failedmiserably.com/data/aironz/The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook.pdf
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The thing is, according to his own posts, the OP is in a HUGE daily calorie deficit, but only managing to lose what he'd lose if he was in a 250 daily calorie deficit. (About 2 pounds a month.)

That right there is all I need to know.
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    The thing is, according to his own posts, the OP is in a HUGE daily calorie deficit, but only managing to lose what he'd lose if he was in a 250 daily calorie deficit. (About 2 pounds a month.)

then by definition, he would only be in a 250 calorie deficit, not a huge one.... ?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

then by definition, he would only be in a 250 calorie deficit, not a huge one.... ?

He says he eats 1500 calories, doesn't eat exercise calories, and burns 1000 at the gym. If that's only a 250 calorie deficit, he's got some serious metabolism issues.
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    He says he eats 1500 calories, doesn't eat exercise calories, and burns 1000 at the gym. If that's only a 250 calorie deficit, he's got some serious metabolism issues.

If hes not losing weight, then hes probably consuming more then 1500 calories, and burning less then 1000 at the gym.
  • MrDude_1
    Options
    ANYONE who isn't eating at their AMR, has a suppressed metabolism. Look at 98% of the people on MFP.

very true. lol
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options

If hes not losing weight, then hes probably consuming more then 1500 calories, and burning less then 1000 at the gym.

Very likely a combination of the two.
  • PlumeriaTattoo
    PlumeriaTattoo Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    LOL...If only it were as simple as eat less, move more. But it's not. It's also about the kinds of foods you eat, your gender, your age, medications you take, your current health, and genetics. Everyone's bodies react differently to everything we do to them, and this can change throughout our lives. Some people can eat anything they want and not gain weight. Others can eat the same hearty meal and gain 5 lbs. There are far too many wildcards to be able to make blanket statements about how to lose weight and, more importantly, how to maintain the loss forever. Like others have said, you have to figure out what works for you, and what you can do for the rest of your life. Because losing weight is a waste of time if you can't keep it off.