Roller Skating

Options
Like, not rollerblading, Roller Skating. I used to love putting on my skates and skate around my neighborhood, like 5 years ago, but my BF thinks it is juvenille and makes jokes about it when I say I want to start doing it again. Since then I haven't gotten up the courage to do it. Am I the only 29, almost 30 year old chick that isn't in a roller derby that still enjoys this?

PS- no I will not join a roller derby, I am too accident prone. lol

Replies

• kgarman
    kgarman Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Probably. But so what? If you enjoy it, do it. As for the BF don't listen to him. Maybe you should ask him why he won't support you in your fitness goals? Or why he has to hate. I'd buy him a pair of skates out of spite and guilt him into doing it. :)
  • mjbrowne
    mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm a 35 yr old wife and mom. I recently found out a rink opened near us..and I've been several times. It would be more fun if my 7yr old boy didn't whine so much (he hasn't quite picked it up yet). I LOVE it! Skate backwards, work on my cross overs, try to do a few spins and show off to my kids. My 15 yr old daughter acts mortified..but she smiles as I whiz by. My husband won't go..but I take the kids and dance and sing and feel like a teen hangin at the rink again. I LOVE IT!!!!! It's great exercise and I'm always a little sore the next day. SKATE AND BE HAPPYYYYYY!!!!
  • JillPoof
    Options
    rocketpunch.jpg

If skating is what you love, then skate away!
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    Just skate and enjoy! Who cares what other people think if you like it, get a great work out and have fun doing it?
  • ElectricMayhem
    ElectricMayhem Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    i'm a 35 year old mama and i'm trying to get my son to have a skating party for his birthday next month just so i can skate!! Do what your heart desires...skate away!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    People do it around a lake here in Seattle all the time*-- like old school roller skates. I wouldn't be surprised if you made some new friends / started to inspire others to break out their skates, too.

*I do suspect most of the roller skaters to be derby girls practicing / hanging out with each other, but there are some men who can do fancy tricks, too. I'm guessing those guys are the 70s throwback guys... either way, go for it!
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 and I've thought about doing it, but I am very accident prone and still a little big to be trying it out again with as much as i would fall. lol. I'd love to do rollerderby actually but im too much of a wuss. haha.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY! I'm 41, and I told my husband I wanted a "skating party" for my 40th birthday -- lots girlfriends, bad 80's music, and a roller rink. He thought I was KIDDING. I'm shooting for the 41st birthday.

I stink at roller blades (I've tried), but I can still rollerskate like a mad woman!

"ALL SKATE."
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm 29, and I'm all about going skating. Of course, I have kids too. But I know hubby wouldn't say anything about me going skating by myself. I am excited to go with my HRM and see how much I burn when skating.
  • cathou_b_f
    Options
    Do you think of Roller Derby?!? That's a great sport, calories burner! Plus you will know a bunch of awesome girls (of your age, younger and older!), makes you in shape and learn to know you!
    Look for local roller derby of your town and don't be shy!! I'm sure there is a team near your neighborhood!
  • Kori18
    Kori18 Posts: 48
    Options
    I rollerblade around campus in the summer. I'm the only person out of the 20,000 people I've seen doing so. I love to rollerblade works my thighs and calves. Go for it it's alot funner than most workouts.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    rocketpunch.jpg

If skating is what you love, then skate away!

LOVE THIS!!!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Do you think of Roller Derby?!? That's a great sport, calories burner! Plus you will know a bunch of awesome girls (of your age, younger and older!), makes you in shape and learn to know you!
    Look for local roller derby of your town and don't be shy!! I'm sure there is a team near your neighborhood!

I like roller skating but I know roller derby is not for me! I am not physically aggressive. And getting hit/full body contact isn't my scene. I'd love a low-key roller derby league. :P
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I just went to see a friend's roller derby match. Yeah, I'd thoroughly enjoy the skating (and possibly the outfits in about 20 lbs time) but the falling and getting back up looked painful and exhausting. I was proud because there were some big girls out there keeping up with the wee ones.

I say if you want to skate. Skate. Who cares what your BF thinks? You can have completely different interests. That's what makes & keeps relationships interesting.
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I would love to skate with you. I love roller skating it makes me feel like a pretty 70s disco lady.
  • MrsSki38
    MrsSki38 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm closer to 40 than 35 and a mom. We have a rink by us and while we haven't been very much, we just went on Sunday. My husband even joined in and we had a ball! Open skate is only about 3.5 hours long, but we thoroughly enjoyed it. It took me a bit to find my 'skate legs' but man, oh man. The memories from when I was a teenager came flooding back.

Do it for you. If your BF won't support you, that's kinda junky.

Roller Derby - I would totally train with them if there was a league around here (to better my skating ability and gracefulness), but would never be competitive. And the outfits are totally cute!
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Awesome, Thanks guys!!! It is supposed to be in the 70's later this week and I think I am going to take my skates to the park and burn some calories!!! I just ordered a HRM too. Cant wait to see how much I burn!!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I'm 35 and I love both rollerblading and roller skating. My husband and I took all of our girls and a couple of teens skating on Friday night. We all skated until almost midnight. It was a blast!
  • ashleynicol3
    ashleynicol3 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm 24 and my boyfriend is 38 and we just went roller skating the other week. It was fun! Neither of us had done it in years - he's really good at it and I'm like a robot LOL and I fell and busted my *kitten* too LOL but it was fun! My only concern is that for 90 minutes of skating (we were there for 2 hrs, I put 90 minutes because I probably took a half hour break) - MFP told me I burned 810 calories. Can that be true?
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm 24 and my boyfriend is 38 and we just went roller skating the other week. It was fun! Neither of us had done it in years - he's really good at it and I'm like a robot LOL and I fell and busted my *kitten* too LOL but it was fun! My only concern is that for 90 minutes of skating (we were there for 2 hrs, I put 90 minutes because I probably took a half hour break) - MFP told me I burned 810 calories. Can that be true?

It could be. Rollerskating is a really good workout. I did it the last time I lost weight and the lbs fell off. :)