numb feet

Options
My feet go numb when I am on the eliptical. Does this happen to anyone else and can anyone tell me a solution to this?

Replies

• mhardest
    mhardest Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It happens to me, too. Not sure why. I even started loosening my gym shoes and that does not help. I am curious to see if there is an explanation!
  • mung222
    mung222 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It happens to me, too. Not sure why. I even started loosening my gym shoes and that does not help. I am curious to see if there is an explanation!

I went out a bought new wider shoes thinking this was the reason also!
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Me, too! And no clue. I've tried different postures and foot-placement...still happens.
  • lozfisher
    Options
    And me - and when I run. Doctor said overtraining, shoe man said too tight shoes. Changed both and better now but not gone.
  • LouisAA1978
    Options
    mine do to i have to split my time to just 15 mins at a time
  • jaxboxchick
    Options
    I got shoes that were bigger and it is a little better. I find that it doesn't happen at all on the Precor brand machine. The one that doesn't have handles, just all leg movement. On a regular elliptical my feet get so numb I can't stand to use it.
  • shelmac
    shelmac Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I also get numb feet, but I have worked out Im lacing my trainers up too tightly xxxx
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Mine do too, but I'm pretty sure it's my ****ty circulatory health.... I'll just ignore it until until I have a stroke or something...
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Mine do this. I have found if I pick my feet up like I am running, it helps. I think it's the pressure of our feet pushing the peddles down so hard.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem... until I realized that I was putting more weight on my toes than my heels. Once I started concentrating on pressing my heels down, the numbness went away,
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Try pushing down more on your heels and don't put so much weight on the balls of your feet (i.e. use your whole foot)

I had exactly the same problem (usually after about 20 mins) and have found this really helps.
  • MissMollieD
    Options
    I have this happen too, so I avoid the elliptical. But I read on a post on here once that numb feet are sign that I am not using the elliptical correctly.

Here's some suggestions:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/369291-the-link-between-numb-feet-elliptical-machines/
  • mung222
    mung222 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks. All very helpful. I will try all the suggestions bc right now i am only able to do the eliptical.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Same here only its just a couple of toes- and it only happens when I get on ellipticals! Its obviously something to do with circulation because no matter how lose my shoes, it doesnt help.
  • pofGrande
    Options
    I have been told that it is caused by the blood pooling in your feet not cycling back up, and because your feet don't lift off the machine and relieve the constant pressure like you naturally would when running. Try stoping every so often and shaking out your limbs. A stretch or two might help as well. Hope this info helps!
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    This woudl happen to me all the time! I changed my shoes for the treadmill and have five fingers for the arc trainer and eliptical. I am guessing the change in footwear helped. I have flat wide feet ang getting neutral shoes took all the pain away.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My feet go numb when I am on the eliptical. Does this happen to anyone else and can anyone tell me a solution to this?

You're probably putting too much weight on your toes. Try to check how you're standing, dont lean too far forward, and put more weight on the whole foot.
  • akjstyles
    akjstyles Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Absolutely happens to me as well. When you are on the elliptical you are pushing but you are not actually moving your feet really. Try slowing down and moving your foot, heel to toe a few times every so often, or even stopping and doing some ankle circles to get the circulation moving again.
  • snaus70
    Options
    My feet were getting numb in the shoes I was wearing so I tried several pairs till I found one where that didn't happen, standing further back on the pedals also helped. But... I still have problems with my HANDS getting numb on the elliptical!! I try moving their position every 5 minutes and this helps a bit but I'm not sure why this happens...?
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Agree on getting heel more involved, releasing feet off pedal more and there are also machines, like my own, that don't have flat pedals so as you move your foot around the pressure points change.