Do you count/measure your fruits and veggies

Options

Replies

• gurganuss
    gurganuss Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I did Weight watchers for over a year. And that was before points plus and now points plus 2012. Points plus 2012 had to add fruit back. When people thought that all fruits and veggies were free, they were overindulging. And the problem with that is that fruit is all natural sugar and sugar turns to fat and people were failing.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I log everything. The calories and sugar in fruit can really add up. When it comes to vegetables, though, I estimate: Yeah, that looks like a cup of lettuce, and that's probably half a cup of tomato slices... I'm not too concerned, but still, if it goes in my mouth, it goes in my log.
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    I DO NOT LOG most of my fruits and veggies. if i did, i'd just stop eating them so i'd have the calories to eat something that tastes better lol. they're very healthy so i don't feel it matters. i do log EVERYTHING else. if you're eating apples with caramel or something crazy like that, definitely log the caramel...
  • Julezebub
    Options
    I definitely log fruits and vegetables. If you think your 5 a day could easily be 400 - 500 cals you could be totally cancelling out your calorie deficit! What would be the point. Also don't forget MFP is to keep track of the good as well as the bad, not just calories but fibre, sugar, etc (although MFP settings are set to low for sugar IMHO)

Good luck with it all! Itsabout figuring out with you at the end of the day MFP just makes that easier.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It depends on how accurate you want the rest of your macros to be (fiber, sugars, etc.). If you're not too worried about it, then don't log them. If you want to know what your macro break-down is, or if you want to know whether that 100-calorie banana is going to push you over your calorie total or not, then log them.

I personally log them all. I care about how much fiber I get. I sort of care how much sugar I get (really only if I go over calories for a day). If I didn't count my fruits and veggies, I'd not have any real idea.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Not counting fruits and veggies seems crazy. A bag of carrots is easily a couple hundred calories (depending on the size of the bag of course). Nevermind sweeter stuff (fruits) like bananas which are quite high in calories. I'm going to stop counting beer, myself. I'll just pretend it doesn't have any calories. That should work out well.
  • jgibson2
    jgibson2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    hahahahaha....i was thinking the same thing. Bump
  • Noadi
    Noadi Posts: 27
    Options
    I count everything but honestly I don't measure veggies unless I already have to for a recipe. I just eyeball it, I can judge pretty closely how much a cup is or a dozen baby carrots without having to get out the measuring cup or count. It's usually close enough.
  • Mr_anaya
    Options
    I record/count EVERYTHING! Even if I have a diet soda here and there...
  • djkamin60
    Options
    I count everything and see if there is a pattern as I am new to MFP. Also, starting out I needed to learn portion sizes, so measured everything the first week.
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I count everything, sometimes even gum. I even log my bottled water, because some of the flavored ones do have sodium
  • vichm
    vichm Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yes i have to say i count it all, i did ww a year also ago (before pro points) and was also successful, however tried again after I had my twins and this time it just was not working- (pro-points at this point)

Decided back to calorie counting and see how I get on back to basics- so far so good!! Just interesting how on ww its all free but they still have calorie content, wonder how it could work if you can eat so much of it???!!!!
  • TurnLeftNow
    Options
    I am fairly lenient when it comes to logging vegetables. I don't care too much about the lettuce measurements when I am making a salad. Vegetables don't really add up as quickly as fruit does. I definitely try and be more accurate when it comes to fruits. I usually try to overestimate on the fruits. Fruits can add up very quickly, not many are less than 60 calories and most are closer to a 100 for a serving size. So those can add up and push you over your calorie goal very quickly.

I think the reason that they are "free" on WW is because you fill up a lot faster on vegetables and fruits and you are much less likely to eat 300 calories of fresh vegetables.
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yep, I log everything. I try to be as exact as I can. I want to know what my total calorie intake is. It's a little bit time consuming, but once your database is constructed it's easy to calculate you intake, especially if you need to track certain nutrients, such as sodium sugar, fiber, etc.

It's helped me a lot.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I do because of the sugar content in fruits! And I eat tons of veggies so yea I log everything!
  • nickyeatrunread
    nickyeatrunread Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I was on WW for 3 months and lost nothing, and I loved the free fruits and veggies, but I think I may have overeaten the fruits. I do log everything on MFP and have been more successful

I totally agree. I think the new WW is tricky, because individual fruits and veggies are free... but then you put them all together in the recipe builder and they have calories.

That said, I log/measure all my fruit and estimate my veggies (eg. 1 vs. 1.5 cups of spinach etc)
  • Tangerine16
    Tangerine16 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I weigh and count everything. This morning I ate 3 kiwis for breakfast and was surprised how many calories they had!

14363700.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I log them all. However, how closely I measure/count something is directly proportional to how many calories it has, based on what damage a margin of error could do. If I'm logging olive oil, I measure it exactly. If I'm logging spinach, I'll eyeball it. Fruit falls somewhere in-between.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I count everything, but I don't worry about measuring vegetables extremely closely. I count it because I've struggled with getting enough fiber and potassium.

I don't really eat a lot of fruit, but I measure that a lot more carefully.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Like I said in the post - green leafy veggies. Of course I would log a banana, it has 100 calories!!! I was just curious really to see how closely others follow the plan or dont.

Anyway... WW did work for me but MFP is free and I like the community better. Logging calories is a lot easier IMO than tracking points.