Eggplant-Don't know what to do with it!!!

Options
I bought an Eggplant and don't know what to do with, Never even tried it. Any Ideas?

Replies

• weaverfit
    Options
    Eggplant Puffs - cube the eggplant, dip it in a milk/egg wash, drop in hot oil, drain well once it golden brown. They just go "poof" in your mouth with a nice eggplant flavor. It's how my mother got us eating eggplant as children.
  • deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Peel and slice eggplant. Salt slices and let sit with weighted plate on top for 10 minutes. (This draws out the bitterness) Drain well. Spread with a little lowfat mayonaise, dredge in panko bread crumbs mixed with a little parmesan cheese. Place on cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray, spray tops and bake at 350 degrees, flipping once and spraying other side until golden brown.
  • lucyford22
    lucyford22 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/07/rat-a-too-ee-for-you-ee/

This. It is as delicious as it is beautiful.
  • ShefMum
    ShefMum Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I should tell you this but my mum used to fry thin slices in butter! (and it soaks up A LOT of butter!!! 80
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Love it peeled, sliced (1/4"), breaded and fried. Might not be the healthiest version, but really good. Nice mild flavor so add plenty of seasoning to the breading or it will be kinda bland.
  • crazybeautifulkittie
    Options
    Bake it with part skim cheese and such! :)
  • dowzey
    dowzey Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Slice thinly (in length), put in a container of salty water and let it sit there for half an hour, drain, use it instead of lasagna noodles to make a healthy Low Carb veggie lasagna :)
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    *Bumping for Ideas*
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    my version eggplant parm

peel and slice eggplant
    dip in egg whites dip in whole wheat bread crumbs

put some olive oil in bottom of GLASS baking dish

layer eggplant, low sodium sauce , part skim mozz cheese
    keep layering until eggplant gone

cover with foil cook in oven at 375 degrees for about 1 hour

enjoy

delicious and not fried much healthier
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Slice it and layer it into lasagne or moussaka yummy.
  • AmandaLou4319
    AmandaLou4319 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Eggplant Pizza Bites! evenually slice into circles. about 1/3 - 1/2 inch. srizzle with olive oil and bake 450 for 6 minutes till they statrt to brown.
    Then top with your favorite pizza toppings and bake for another 6-10 minutes.
    I sometimes put the pizzas in a dry skillet after they bake to crisp the bottoms. Makes them a bit easier to eat!
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Slice it and spray or brush with oil, grill it (I think it is called broiling in America?!?) on both sides. While that is going on make a tomato sauce with softened onion and garlic, herbs, tinned tomato and tomato paste, reduce it so it's nice and thick. Put the eggplant in a dish and put the tomato sauce over the top, put some grated cheese over and then bake until the cheese is all golden and bubbly.
    My own version of eggplant parmegana but pretty healthy!!
  • kikina
    kikina Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i slice mine and then drizzle olive oil, heavy on the pepper and light on the salt ( i do this will all my veggis) and then roast in the oven about 400 degress maybe 15-20 min

they are very good like that or sometimes to change things up after they are roasted i drizzle a homemade asian spicy sauce over them! the other veggis i use.. red onion, sweet potatoes, red bell pepper, asparagus,

i slice them all into sticks so they look nice and are uniform in size yummy and good for you too
  • kittenmitton
    kittenmitton Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There's uh, eggplant-kabobs, eggplant creole, eggplant gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple eggplant, lemon eggplant, coconut eggplant, pepper eggplant, eggplant soup, eggplant stew, eggplant salad, eggplant and potatoes, eggplant burger, eggplant sandwich. That- that's about it.

In all seriousness though, grilled eggplant is super delicious. If you're into spicy foods, try making some baingan bharta (punjabi style eggplant) Recipe: http://indianfood.about.com/od/vegetarianrecipes/r/bainganbharta2.htm

Also, eggplant can take a long time to cook, so make sure you're watching it while it's cooking. The inside should turn very dark green or even brown and it should kind of make threads if you run a fork through it. Otherwise, it's just hard and chewy and not very tasty :(
  • magoch
    magoch Posts: 134
    Options
    Cube it and put it in a curry! Below is a healthy curry recipe I posted --- you could add eggplant to this, adding it at the same time as the cauliflower. Sometimes eggplant can be a little bitter, to get rid of that: cut it into cubes, set them in a colandar over a pan or in your sink, salt them well (you rinse most of the salt off, so be liberal here -- it's just to draw out the bitter liquid), let it sit for 15-20 mins, shaking the colander occasionally. Then rinse the eggplant well to remove the excess salt.

Healthy Curry for 2-3 (about 400 calories -- depending on your serving size) - it takes about 30 mins to make if you use 2 pans, slightly longer if you make it all in one pan.

Ingredients:
    - 1/3 cup chopped onions
    - 2 cloves minced garlic
    - 2 tsp olive oil (for cooking)
    - 1/2 lb chicken breasts, chopped bite-size
    - 2 large portabello mushroom caps
    - 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
    - 1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
    - 1 - 2 cups spinach roughly chopped
    - 1/2 - 1 cup chicken broth
    - 2/3 cup light coconut milk
    - 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
    - 3 spoonfuls yellow curry paste
    - 1/2 tsp tumeric
    - India red peppers or crushed red peppers (to taste)

Directions:

- Put a large skillet (10-11") over low heat.
    - Before the pan gets too hot -- gloss the bottom with 1 tsp olive oil (pour it the oil into the pan and use your fingers to spread an even coat on the bottom of the pan, if the pan has gotten too hot, use a clean paper towel to spread the oil). You just want a sheen of oil across the bottom of the pan, there shouldn't be a pool of oil anywhere.
    - Add the onions with a pinch of salt and let them cook down a few minutes -- don't let them brown too much, stir frequently so they don't stick or burn
    - Add the garlic and cook about 30 sec
    - Add the curry paste & the tumeric stir well, so everything is coated - cook until you can start to smell the curry (about 30 sec)
    - Add the can of tomatoes including the juice -- stir and let it cook a minute or two to meld the flavors
    - Add the mushrooms and the cauliflower and let them cook a minute or two
    - Add the chicken broth -- start with 1/2 cup, if at any point it looks like there's no liquid in the pan, add the rest (and more if necessary -- the pan shouldn't be dry)
    - Let this cook for 5 minutes while you get the chicken started

- Meanwhile, put another skillet on low-medium heat, and gloss with the other tsp of oil before it gets too hot.
    - Add the chicken pieces to this pan, let them cook until browned on one side, then turn and cook until they are cooked through and take them off the heat. (If you want to save dirtying a pan, you can cook the chicken in the same pan you're planning to use for the curry, dinner will just take a little longer. Make sure you add more oil to the pan before beginning the curry)
    - Add the coconut milk to the first pan, stir well to incorporate
    - Add the pepper flakes if you are using them, and cook 5 mins
    - Add the chicken (assuming it's done)
    - Cook 8-10 minutes to let the flavors soak into the chicken
    - Add the spinach and cook until the spinach is well wilted
    - Take the pan off the heat and stir in the yogurt

I served it as is, but you could put it over rice if you wanted. There was a lot of liquid in ours, next time I'll use bowls instead of plates.
  • mudya
    mudya Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    In south Asia we have a dish called Aloo Baingan - I absolutely love it! The soft texture of the potatoes and the mushy texture of the eggplant are a match made in heaven! http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2008/09/28/aloo-baingan-potato-and-eggplant/
  • magoch
    magoch Posts: 134
    Options
    Eggplant Pizza Bites! evenually slice into circles. about 1/3 - 1/2 inch. srizzle with olive oil and bake 450 for 6 minutes till they statrt to brown.
    Then top with your favorite pizza toppings and bake for another 6-10 minutes.
    I sometimes put the pizzas in a dry skillet after they bake to crisp the bottoms. Makes them a bit easier to eat!

I haven't heard this one before, it sounds fabulous!
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    bump