Need some ideas for breakfast

Options
I am a busy mom I wake up at 4:30 in the morning to be at work at 6.. work all day till 3 then head home and there is cooking helping out with homework for two boys then at 7 I am pooped out.. I am in need to try out fast breakfast ideas that are eigher quick to do or easy to cook ahead of time..

Replies

• star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options
    I found this recipe on a thread here...it's with spinach and feta but there's other options like adding bacon or whatever your taste is.

Mediterranean Egg Cups

1/8 Cup Chopped frozen Spinach (thawed)
    1 TBSP Crumbled Feta
    1 tsp Chopped sun Dried Tomatoes
    4 TBSP Egg Whites

Put Spinach, feta, and sun dried tomatoes in a muffin pan. Add egg whites. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Makes 1 Muffin, if you make extras refrigerate them and heat up later

83 Calories
    6 Carbs
    3 Fat
    302 Sodium
    12 Protien
    2 Fiber
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I spray a muffin tin with cooking spray and crack an egg into each one. I bake the eggs at 350 for about 15-20 minutes. I then use the eggs to assemble egg-english muffin sandwiches that I freeze (individually wrapped in foil). Then, I just pop one in the oven in the morning while I'm taking a shower and breakfast is ready when I'm done (need to bake for about 20 minutes or so). I put some shredded spinach on the sandwich for some added nutrients and I have a great, hot breakfast meal. You can microwave them too, I guess, but I prefer them crispy from the oven!
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I like the pre-packaged Jimmy Dean D-Lights. The sausage sandwich is really good and about 230 calories. I eat those on the go a lot. Yes, I know that frozen type foods arent that great for you but they are filling and low calorie. I usually have a banana or other fruit as well. Another of my favorites, although might be disgusting to you, is I make a wrap with a Mission Life Balance Plus tortilla - regular size, a TBS of Jif Omega 3 PB, and a banana. It really is good if you are a PB and banana fan and its filling too. I think around 280 calories. I am fortunate enough that I can bring a box of Kashi and a half gallon of Almond milk to work and eat a bowl of cereal but sometimes I forget and need something I can pick up quickly. I also love Vita Tops with some fruit and yogurt and I am a BIG fan of oatmeal. I make enough for the whole week and just take tupperware containers to work.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe on a thread here...it's with spinach and feta but there's other options like adding bacon or whatever your taste is.

Mediterranean Egg Cups

1 TBSP Crumbled Feta
    4 TBSP Egg Whites

Put Spinach, feta, and sun dried tomatoes in a muffin pan. Add egg whites. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Makes 1 Muffin, if you make extras refrigerate them and heat up later

83 Calories
    6 Carbs
    3 Fat
    302 Sodium
    12 Protien
    2 Fiber

I am SO going to try this!!!!
  • desertbm
    Options
    Whole wheat crumpet, toasted [trader joes] 110 calories . one wedge of laughing cow swiss cheese 35 calories. Cut up fresh fruit or berrys on top. delicious and it stays with you for awhile.
  • yarmiah
    yarmiah Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Luckily, I don't need to get up as early as you but if you can allow yourself
    10 min to prepare/cook these are my go to's:

Egg Sandwhich: 1/2 egg beaters, light english muffin, turkey bacon or turkey sausage, sprinkle of reduced fat cheese
    (protein packed warm breakfast!- try with a bagle flat too!)

Protein Pancake: 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal, 1/4 cup egg whites, pumpkin pie/apple pie spice mixed together
    (add a little splenda if you like it sweet). Cook over med-hi heat in a pan coated with cooking spray.

2 Lowfat waffles with healthy peanut butter and sugar free jelly.

No time to cook? Kashi Go Lean cereal w/ low fat or skim mlk, Greek yogurt with a little granola or kashi cereal,
    or in a pinch an energy bar will do.

I usually drink milk or almond milk with any of these selections with a piece of fruit to round it out!
  • lisaslim1976
    Options
    Tomorrow i have fat free greek yoghurt with sliced banana and walnuts, drizzled in honey, weighed tonight.. easy to throw together in the morning!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Most days I either eat scrambled eggs with bacon, an english muffin with peanut butter, or a bowl of cereal. All with some type of fruit. Today I had a waffle with nutella on it though.
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    *BUMP*
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    right??? they sound amazing
  • tonyacoursey
    tonyacoursey Posts: 404 Member
    Options

Mediterranean Egg Cups

1 TBSP Crumbled Feta
    4 TBSP Egg Whites

83 Calories
    6 Carbs
    3 Fat
    302 Sodium
    12 Protien
    2 Fiber

I am SO going to try this!!!!

I have made different versions of these and my husband and i love them. I use individual silicone muffin cups, bake them all on Sunday and we have enough for the week. Just heat them in the microwave in the cup. It's easy and yummy!
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I make these ahead of time: eggs and bacon in a muffin tin. Bake for about 20 minutes then freeze in individual servings. I defrost mine the night before when I pack my lunch. Then heat for about 30 seconds in microwave. You can also put any kind of deli meat as a "liner" in the muffin tin and mix up an omlete to fill the cups and bake for 20 minutes.

I also like these options too:
    Oatmeal
    Yogurt with Bear naked granola mixed in
  • amylouise83
    Options
    this meal of the day is my biggest problem. Im not a great breakfast lover, but find that when i eat breakfast im hungry again about 2 hours later. Need something other than smoothies to fill me up!!!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    how about...(all are about 300-400 calories)

1. cook a huge pot of oatmeal--put 1 cup in a bowl each day, top with milk, banana, and pb...nuke for 1-2 minutes and sweeten as desired.

2. hardboiled eggs--make the entire dozen and have 2 a morning along with a banana and cup of milk.

3. 1 flavored greek yogurt w/ 1 cup whole grain cereal and 1/2 cup berries

4. ww tortilla, 1/2 cup beans, cheese...fold over and nuke for 1 min. have w/ glass of milk.

5. 1 ww english muffin spread w/ pb and sliced banana...drizzle honey. milk or yogurt
  • hhamada
    Options
    I also get up at 4:30 am so I don't have time to cook breakfast. Here are some no cook ideas (250 -300 calories):
    - 1/2 cup dry oat meal or oat bran soaked in 1 cup unsweetened almond milk and 1/2 scoop protein powder
    - 1 cup plain non fat yogurt or kefir and 1/2 scoop protein powder with cereal (3/4 cup high fiber skinnies or 2/3 cup Smart Bran)
  • nickyeatrunread
    nickyeatrunread Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is our homemade breakfast pockets. These take a little bit of time to pre-prepare them, but then they're super easy every morning.

My boyfriend and I make a batch or two (16/batch) every week or so and freeze them, then every morning we pop two in the oven frozen at 350º while we're getting ready and they're ready to take out the door with us!

I started with this recipe from Budget Gourmet mom: http://www.budgetgourmetmom.com/breakfast-pockets/

For the dough, instead of oil, I use unsweetened apple sauce and I've swapped up to half the flour for whole wheat flour too.
    For the filling, we use egg beaters, spray olive oil and any veggies we happen to have on hand (with spinach, mushrooms, and peppers being the favorites!). Without an extra meat, they come in at around 200 calories/pocket and, this week's with Turkey ham is 236/pocket.

Mine weren't very pretty the first time, but they've always been delicious and they're fun to experiment with. Plus, the mix of fiber, protein, and carbs keeps me full till lunch! :)
  • busybarbie
    busybarbie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody thanks for all the ideas I wrote them down so that I can use them .. today I made the eggs in the muffin made six of them put one for tomorrow the rest for the rest of the week thanks :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • SaundraU
    Options
    I do boiled eggs, light and fit yogurt, instant oatmeal (made at work), instant carnation no sugar added shakes, grab fruit, protien packs from starbucks,
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My faves are:

Breakfast smoothie:

1 banana
    1tblsp wheatgerm
    1 tblsp honey
    8 fl oz milk
    8 fl oz low fat yogurt
    4 prunes

This should work out at about 400 cals.

Also I do love a muffin with a fried egg and 2 bacon rashers - that's about 450cals and keeps me going for ages.

xx
  • PompousClock
    Options
    this meal of the day is my biggest problem. Im not a great breakfast lover, but find that when i eat breakfast im hungry again about 2 hours later. Need something other than smoothies to fill me up!!!
    Protein is key. My staple fill-me-up breakfast is 6 oz of Fage non-fat Greek yogurt (I've tried all the brands; Fage is the creamiest) with 1/8 cup shelled pistachios. Keeps me satisfied until lunch.